It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Toronto Workers Destroy Free Community Food Garden Amid Growing Food Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So here we have yet another case of showing us who is in control over our rights to food.

Some of you may remember when I posted a thread on a woman in the US who had the city actually rip out her edible plants only to leave her with nothing and a couple in Canada who were threatened with the same action, only they fought City Hall and won.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now we have Toronto playing food cops and removing an entire Community garden with no chance even to harvest.

toronto.mediacoop.ca...

Amid a growing food crisis, this morning workers from the City of Toronto were ordered by City of Toronto Parks Director Richard Ubbens that all live plants and food be removed from the People's Peas Garden in Queens Park. They were ordered to take the plants and food to the dump and lay sod overtop of this most beautiful free community food garden, without warning, without a chance to remove the rare heirloom plant species or harvest the food.

Growing for 5 Months and having hundreds of volunteers and only NOW it's destroyed? And right before the harvest the day before. Pathetic.

The City actually let it flourish and planned the day down to the eve of harvest to send some sort of message...whatever the hell that is.

The garden was planted by Occupy Gardens and allies on May 1st, in defense of local and global food security. While the garden has been growing undisturbed for nearly 5 months, with the help of hundreds in the community, the city deliberately decided to have it removed upon the eve of the Autumn Jam: A Harvest Party and celebration of sharing, community and free local food, which is happening tomorrow from 12-6pm at the garden in Queens Park (northwest section).

And the reasoning behind it all:

The reason? The people did not have permission to grow free food on public land.

If that's the case (which I see as absolutely ridiculous because it's in almost every city) why let it grow for 5 Months and rip it out the day before harvest? Agenda in the making.
Community gardens are beautiful, beneficial and act as a neighborhood gathering place of sharing with friends. What does a City gain by doing something that makes people angry and upset? Depriving people of good, healthy food when many can't afford it is nothing but a declaration of power. They have it and the citizens don't.

This makes me angry...again. Our food supplies are under attack and we are being told in many forms that we are losing our rights to produce what we want to eat. From Monsanto trying to control every seed on the planet to a front yard garden and now a Community garden.

I don't mind saying that this is getting scary and it won't be long before people are standing guard over their gardens with guns at the ready. I never thought I'd see days like this.

I know some members will come along and state that they have no right to grow food on public land. BS. Those people ARE the public...hundreds of them in fact. They pay taxes and kept a plot of land beautiful for the rest of the public.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
wow, that sucks.

I live in Scarborough - but soon I'll be moving North of the city, outside the cities tyrannical arm.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, that was cruel and inhumane on the city's part. I hope everyone who took part in the wanton destruction of good wholesome free food for people, enjoy their taxes going out in the form of welfare and food stamps to take the place of free food for those very same people. What idiots. I hope a horde of slugs invades their personal gardens.

Des

edit on 30-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This is the first that I've heard that Canada has some kind of growing food crisis.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

IMHO this needs to be protested HARD, killing crops is like killing the poor
any council that decides that Americans do not have right to life and happiness are nothing short of insane,
a food shortage approaches and these cretins decide to force the poor to starve?
public lands paid for the public should be used for the public,
not by some council helping monsanto.

imho this group of crop destroyers need to be protested out of office, where is the common sense?
and elect someone that understands the public "good" and the public "need"
and the right to life and happiness includes community gardens.

xploder

edit on 30-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

lol, we have no growing food crisis, I have no idea what the OP meant by that.

But that doesn't mean a food crisis isn't on the horizon. For everyone on our wonderful North American continent.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

lol, we have no growing food crisis, I have no idea what the OP meant by that.

But that doesn't mean a food crisis isn't on the horizon. For everyone on our wonderful North American continent.

The food crisis they are mentioning would be Global I believe. The US with the failed crops this year contributes to it and Canada having a crappy growing season as well.

We are being warned about shortages and rising prices at the super markets are already starting.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

As long as people allow those in charge to walk all over us, it will continue to get worse!!! This is absolutely ridiculous, for a city to destroy something as wholesome and sustainable as people growing their own food! I am chomping at the bit for something like this to happen where I live...........................God help the drones who stomp on my freedom of growing and eating my own food!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The US with the failed crops this year contributes to it and Canada having a crappy growing season as well.

I thought the wetness of late July and August made up for the dryness of the early summer??

I know the early summer really screwed up the natural growing seasons of many plants; for instance, my cherry tree in the backyard didn't flower because of the bizarre weather patterns in March and April.

We are being warned about shortages and rising prices at the super markets are already starting.

I didn't know that. My brother usually keeps up on these things. He hadn't told me anything about that.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Caption:

"We'll fix those bicycle riding hippies who think they can grow their own beans on city property, won't we Doug?"

"Yeah, Rob, we'll fix 'em."

"Mwhu huh ha ha ha ha" * choke *gasp*

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Caption:

"We'll fix those bicycle riding hippies SENSIBLE PEOPLEwho think they can grow their own beans on city property, won't we Doug?"

"Yeah, Rob, we'll fix 'em."

"Mwhu huh ha ha ha ha" * choke *gasp*

You forgot to add
"Another brown envelope for me please monsanto"

Please note yellow edit.

Flagged
edit on 30-9-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by jude11

The US with the failed crops this year contributes to it and Canada having a crappy growing season as well.

I thought the wetness of late July and August made up for the dryness of the early summer??

I know the early summer really screwed up the natural growing seasons of many plants; for instance, my cherry tree in the backyard didn't flower because of the bizarre weather patterns in March and April.

I didn't know that. My brother usually keeps up on these things. He hadn't told me anything about that.

In my bakery I get to talk to a lot of the locals and many didn't get very much from their gardens at all because of the lack of sun and too much rain. I also talk to tourists and farmers from Sask and Man have worries as to yields.

Maybe more than others I have to watch exact prices on cheese, meat and dry goods. All have risen at the wholesale levels that I purchase from and the retailers are holding back as much as possible before raising the shelf prices so as not to piss off their customers. I'm in the same boat.

The prices increase at the exchange, the wholesalers raise their prices and large supermarkets raise theirs to reflect it.

But when us little guys do it...it's all our fault.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
man alive!!!
i'm north of toronto,close to the holland marsh.
with soaring food prices for healthy food,and a food bank that is basically broke,what is the reasoning for this!!!???
every send some protest mail to mayor rob ford,"toronto's saviour',(or king!)
this man is allowed to talk on his cell while driving,as well as read a news paper,not attend city functions that are financially beneficial to the city (pride parade),all the time gaining more and more weight while eating like a pig,along with his political brother,while torontonians go hungry.
one of this clowns election platform was to cut his weight,as he cut the budget.
guess what. he gained back the 11 lbs he lost,plus more!!! this guy weighs over 300lbs!!!
now he deprives the people of toronto the food they grew with their own resources and work(no govt. $ or help)
on unused public land!!!!!! this is an outrage!

so many people on welfare,no jobs,no food at the food bank,but its ok.
you can still get McDonalds crap food dirt cheap to live on. it will fit nicely into your $500/month welfare check!!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

hmmm...methinks I'll cast a *hunger* spell on the bad Mayor Rob Ford. The more he eats, the more he'll crave to eat. The more he'll feel the stabbing pangs of hunger. He'll stuff his bloated piggy face until his eyes are swollen shut with folds of fat, and his fat sausage legs will no longer hold his wobbling girth upright.

Will that work for you....

Des

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

what!!!???

have you not heart about the drought that just went through north america!!!!

crops are horrible this year. not much good corn or grains.
man alive,now the pumpkin crops went to hell!
or are you just uninterested in the rest of the world?
by the way,just in case you don't know,
corn,grains and pumpkins are used for a whole bunch more in your daily food intake
than corn roasts,beer and halloween!!!!
get yer head outta the sand!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

ah gluttany! one of my favorite 7 sins!!!
i know too many people who stuff their cake hole,and throwing half out while they are personally
know people who are struggling to buy good food.
makes me ill!

i'll take care of the sloth and lust spells against him!!!
those fit him as well!
blessed be!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
We are allowed to throw away billions in food but people in need aren't allowed to grow theirs.

Something very wrong here.

www.thestar.com...

Food is so plentiful in Canada that even our garbage cans are full of it. We throw away 40 per cent of our edibles every year according to most recent estimates.

www.epa.gov...

The amount of food wasted in the United States is staggering. In 2010, more than 34 million tons of food waste was generated, more than any other material category but paper. Food waste accounted for almost 14 percent of the total municipal solid waste stream, less than three percent of which was recovered and recycled in 2010. The rest —33 million tons— was thrown away, making food waste the single largest component of MSW reaching landfills and incinerators.

Maybe we don't deserve the food we have?
www.nytimes.com...

In 1997, in one of the few studies of food waste, the Department of Agriculture estimated that two years before, 96.4 billion pounds of the 356 billion pounds of edible food in the United States was never eaten. Fresh produce, milk, grain products and sweeteners made up two-thirds of the waste.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This happened in Harrisburg Pennsylvania as well. A community garden was plowed under without warning on the grounds that it was overgrown and had become a haven for drugs and crime. It was reported here: www.pennlive.com...

People with gardens denied the charges and said that the garden was popular and good source of fresh food for one of the city's poorer districts.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
They need to get rid of the people running the city. Start multiple recall petitions if they can do that in Canada. If not, just get rid of them by examining what they are doing. These kind of people always do things that are not kosher and they need to be investigated and exposed. They hide their wrongdoings by targeting others mistakes. Thing is that they are constantly messing up because they think they are above the law.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join