It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Simultaneous Monsanto Attacks on Organic Food in California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

There are at least four major active Monsanto attacks on food in California going on right now. The last listed exposes the iron fist Monsanto tries to hide.

www.activistpost.com...

1) Monsanto pouring millions into defeating Proposition 37. Which is calling for the labeling of GMO in California. I kind it should be against the law for this to happen. Corporations are not people. They should not be allowed to mess around with the democratic process.

After recent studies linking GMO and cancer. Russia has banned there use and France is calling for there ban. Pending further tests.

2) In collusion with Monstanto. Stanford University has made attacks on organic food just before Prop 37 goes on trial. Stating that organic food is no better than normal food. One of the scientists working on the project had worked with the tabbaco industry and was paid to say tobacco is not bad for us. Another scientist of the same study worked for Homeland security to declare organic food a bio security risk

3) Monsanto from the FDA, orders a recall of organic food during the Jewish Holidays . Recalling food suggest it is not safe to eat. Part of the smear campaign to further demonise organic foods.

4) Monsanto is behind illegal arrest and criminal attacks on the owner of an organic food co-op in Los Angeles and destruction of his life's work.

The FDA ordered the raid and set the felony arrests in motion, and Monsanto lawyer and VP Michael Taylor, runs the FDA "food safety" division. Monsanto ordered the arrest of an innocent man, the destruction of his organic food business, and one might assume they are behind his torture in jail (including questioning him as though he were a terrorist) and the fact that he faces multiple felonies for the crime of selling fresh goat milk.

Full article can be read here...

www.activistpost.com...
edit on 30-9-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
How are these thugs allowed to get away with their antics? (I know how they’re allowed to get away with it - money - it’s more of an ironic question). I find it absolutely contemptible.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I went to the source you linked and was a little disappointed at the lack of evidence they provided.

1) Monsanto pouring millions into defeating Proposition 37. Corporations are not people. They should not be allowed to mess around with the democratic process.
They may very well be spending money on this question. While we might not like it, they are allowed to. It's Constitutional so, for now, we just have to live with it.

2) In collusion with Monstanto. Stanford University has made attacks on organic food just before Prop 37 goes on trial.
But in fact there was no evidence that Monsanto was involved. Indeed, your own source said

: “This paper was published in a reputable, peer-reviewed journal, and the researchers received no funding for the study from any outside company. We stand by the work and the study authors,” the university is quoted as saying in the Los Angeles Times. “Stanford Center for Health Policy (where the study was conducted) has never received research money from Cargill.”
What more do you want from a study?

3) Monsanto from the FDA, orders a recall of organic food during the Jewish Holidays . Recalling food suggest it is not safe to eat. Part of the smear campaign to further demonise organic foods.
Is there any evidence that Monsanto persuaded the FDA to do a recall that it wouldn't otherwise do?

4) Monsanto is behind illegal arrest and criminal attacks on the owner of an organic food co-op in Los Angeles and destruction of his life's work.
The source gave no evidence that Monsanto was behind it or ordered it. Besides I didn't see any evidence to support the assertion that Michael Taylor is a Vice-President of a huge corporation and, at the same time, runs a federal division. On the surface that seems hard to believe.

But maybe your source just summarized information that is proven somewhere else. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

One point of view they are wasting there own time and money and at the same time revealing there war like agenda. This is supposed to be about food for Christ sake.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Originally posted by charles1952

The source gave no evidence that Monsanto was behind it or ordered it. Besides I didn't see any evidence to support the assertion that Michael Taylor is a Vice-President of a huge corporation and, at the same time, runs a federal division. On the surface that seems hard to believe.

But maybe your source just summarized information that is proven somewhere else. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

From a PDF from the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Isn't that a fancy sounding name?) :

In the private sector, he [Michael Taylor] established and led the food and drug law practice at King & Spalding and was Vice President for Public Policy at Monsanto Company. Mr. Taylor received his law degree from the University of Virginia and his B.A. in political science from Davidson College.

As for the other points you've raised, difficult to comment on. Monsanto are villains, but accusing them of things they haven't done makes those fighting them look foolish. I appreciate your diligence.
edit on 30-9-2012 by lycosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

As usual money talks and bs and whores in congress do what they are told.

Monstrosity companies like Monspanto business is profits, just like pharmaceuticals they have bought themselves a corrupted government like the US pay them good money so they can kill people unrestricted, we are their guinea pigs and people give themselves willingly in the name of for the good of the nation and world.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
How are these thugs allowed to get away with their antics? (I know how they’re allowed to get away with it - money - it’s more of an ironic question). I find it absolutely contemptible.

Monasanto bullies their way to accomplish whatever they wish to, with their deep pockets and large monopoly. Some of the public are realizing how UNACCEPTABLE this company’s standards really are….but “calling them out” on it and fighting aginst it are entirely different standpoints.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
At the very least the people should be able to demand disclosure and labelling of GMO foods, and no amount of political wrangling and pay-offs should be able to take that away. We need to be able to make the choice as to what we eat. I think we have already lost part of that disclosure and they are not required to disclose when GMO-derived additives are used in processed foods such as GMO corn when it is used to make sweeteners and additives. We just have to go on the assumption it is in there. Correct me if I am wrong.

Universal healthcare may be the nail in the coffin for organic foods and other products our governments might decide can be dangerous to our health and demand we eat their diet so others do no have to bear the cost for our poor choices. Surely they will decide eating Twinkies is healthier than fresh goat's milk.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

The good and thoughtful leaders of america warned us to be very afraid of Saddam's chemical weapons and they destroyed him and his country looking for them. Now those leaders tell us to be very afraid of Assad's chemical weapons and their hired goons are tearing apart Syria looking for them. looking ... looking ... looking.

And they think we don't know that the real chemical weapons are hidden, literally, right under our noses.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thank you for your critical reply. It has helped to highlight a few points which I will try and go through bellow.

They may very well be spending money on this question. While we might not like it, they are allowed to. It's Constitutional so, for now, we just have to live with it.

Why are companies given the same rights as people. It is a fact that needs to be questioned. Corporations are becoming far to big for there boots. Please explain to what is constitutional about money having more sway than democracy and government...

But in fact there was no evidence that Monsanto was involved. Indeed, your own source said

Yes but per reviews science can be bought and it has happened in the past. Look at the per reviewed papers released by the the tobacco industry in the past. The paper was questionable and left out important factors concerning pesticide residues on human health. Really an important factor when trying to ascertain if there is a difference in quality between organic and non organic.

and yes the paper did raise a eyebrows among the scientific community..

Researchers with expertise in organics became suspicious about corporate funding and other industry ties after finding no other explanation for the Stanford study's glaring omissions and flaws.

"Make no mistake, the Stanford organics study is a fraud," says Mike Adams of Naturalnews.com and Anthony Gucciardi of Naturalsociety.org, who discovered the link between the organic study author and Big Tobacco. "To say that conventional foods are safe is like saying that cigarettes are safe. Both can be propagandized with fraudulent science funded by corporate donations to universities, and we're seeing the same scientist who helped Big Tobacco now helping Big Biotech in their attempt to defraud the public."

Dr. Ingram Olkin is known to in the past accepy money and back handers from industry when writing his papers..

readersupportednews.org...

Is there any evidence that Monsanto persuaded the FDA to do a recall that it wouldn't otherwise do?

Whilst I cannot comment on the article sources. I do not know where they come from. I can show you the type of relationship Monstanto has with the US government.Have a look at the relationship between Monsanto and the FDA.

FDA hired Mike Taylor nearly three years ago, I wrote a long post reviewing his complicated employment history: Monsanto, FDA, USDA, Monsanto, private sector, university, FDA—a classic example of the “revolving door.”.

www.foodpolitics.com...

This is the man had become a flash point of anger over the following issues..

Failure to require labeling of GM foods

Failure to recognize the scaled-down safety needs of small farmers

Failure to enforce and punish food safety violations by large producers Unfair enforcement of food safety procedures against small producers

Clamping down on raw milk producers

If you want to see real evidence of how the Monsanto works with the US government have a look at the Wikileaks release on the subject.

Wikileaks: Monsanto now deeply infiltrated into US government...

In 2007, it was requested that specific nations inside the European Union be punished for not supporting the expansion of Monsanto’s GMO crops.

The request for such measures to be taken was made by Craig Stapleton, the United States ambassador to France and partner to George W. Bush. Despite mounting evidence linking Monsanto’s GM corn to organ damage and environmental devastation, the ambassador plainly calls for ‘target retaliation’ against those not supporting the GM crop. In the leaked documents, Stapleton states:

“Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices.”

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

perhaps the research and work of Royal Rife can come to the rescue
as collusive government agencies wont whilst the ivory towers of corporate scientism continue to spread pseudo-scientific lies

Dr. Royal Rife
In the late 20's and early 1930's, Dr. Royal Raymond Rife from San Diego, California, developed a high powered microscope which he used in conjunction with a frequency generator. Using special UV light, Rife's mircroscope was capable of 60,000x magnification! This degree of magnification allowed him to observe LIVE virus and bacteria organisms while he applied the MOR (Mortal Oscillatory Resonance) frequency from his frequency generator via plasma tube radiation of the energy. He was able to destroy all manner of disease organisms (including cancer related organisms) by merely 'tuning' the generator to the correct resonant frequency of these organisms and applying the oscillating electric fields via the plasma driven, "Beam Ray Tube". Everything in the universe, living or dead, and its own resonant frequency. If you apply this exact resonant frequency to the object or organism, it will begin vibrating until it literally shatters itself. You've all seen the wine glass and the opera singer demonstration. Same deal for microbes.
www.educate-yourself.org...
and same deal for GMO's [or the omnipresent PCB's]

for those who know how the ancient art of Crop Blasting should be making a comeback soon as well

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Thanks for the link some interesting stuff there.. Will make some good bed time reading later...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Be careful, some organic food companies do Not support Prop 37 and labeling GMOs. You can see them included in the list below.

Which consumer food companies are part of the opposition?

Taken from the California Secretary of State website, the corporations below have made financial contributions to defeat Proposition 37. In doing so, they are making a statement that people do not have the right to know if they are consuming GMOs or not.

PepsiCo – (Pepsi, Quaker Oats, Tropicana, Frito-Lay, Tostitos, Gatorade, Naked Juice)

Nestle – (Nestle, Gerber, Perrier, Poland Spring, Pellegrino, Nescafe, Nestea, Dreyer’s, Alpo, Purina, PowerBar, Jenny Craig)

Hershey Company – (Hershey’s Chocolate, Kit-Kat, Almond Joy, Twizzlers, Reese’s, Dagoba)

Dean Foods – (Horizon Organic, Silk, Land O’Lakes, Garelick Farms, Meadow Farms, Dean’s)

Mars – (Mars, M&Ms, Snickers, Milky Way, Uncle Ben’s, Doublemint, Skittles, Starburst, Seeds of Change, Alterra Coffee, Pedigree)

Coca-Cola North America – (Coke, Diet Coke, Minute Maid, Odwalla, Honest Tea, Dasani, Vitamin Water)

Rich Products Corporation – (SeaPak, Byron’s, FarmRich)

Ocean Spray Cranberries – (Ocean Spray juices and dried fruit)

Kellogg’s – (Kellogg’s products, Kashi, Bear Naked, Gardenburger, Morningstar Farm)

General Mills – (Cheerios, Wheaties, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Cascadian Farm, Muir Glen, Lara Bar, Liberte, Yoplait, Nature Valley)

Dole – (Dole, Dole Organic)

Pinnacle Foods Group – (Aunt Jemima, Duncan Hines, Hungry Man, Van de Kamps, Vlasic)

Del Monte – (Del Monte Products, Wolfgang Puck organic soups)

Campbell Soup – (Campbell’s, Swanson, V8, Prego)

Morton Salt

McCormick & Company

Inventure Foods – (Jamba Smoothies, Burger King Fries, T.G.I.Fridays Potato Skins – each one is a licensee)

Sunny Delight – (SunnyD)

Sara Lee – (Sara Lee, Hillshire Farms, Jimmy Dean, State Fair)

McCain Foods – (Anchor, Farmer’s Kitchen, Redstone Canyon)

Land O’ Lakes

J.M. Smucker Company – (Smucker’s products, Santa Cruz Organic, R.W. Knudsen)

Hormel Foods – (Hormel, Herdez, Spam, Valley Fresh)

Godiva Chocolate

Bumble Bee Foods – (Bumble Bee, King Oscar, Beach Cliff)

Bimbo Bakeries – (Arnold, Bimbo, Ball Park, Entenmann’s, Earthgrains)

—-

A few things.

1) When you buy the brands above, you are supporting companies who don’t want GMOs to be labeled.

2) For organic consumers, we are now faced with the dilemma of whether should continue to buy the organic brands listed above.

Do we continue to support these brands and enrich their pro-GMO parent companies? Or, do we boycott these brands?

Personally, I am done buying these organic brands. And so is my friend and fellow organic food blogger FoodBabe.

3) American consumers have a fundamental right to know what is in their food, and this means that GMOs must be labeled.

The California ballot initiative is incredibly important, and we’re up against an opposition with very, very deep pockets.

livingmaxwell.com...
edit on 30-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You can probably find his information on one of these links, it is definitely on ATS somewhere, but anyone interested in seeing a list of the corporations that have thus far donated money in opposition to Prop 37 can find it here:

cal-access.sos.ca.gov...
edit on 30-9-2012 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Dear purplemer,

Although it may not seem like it, I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit, and learning from it.

I wonder if there is a marketing or strategic problem here. Every now and then I see a warning about GMO foods. When I look at it, I tend to say "Well, there may be something here, but turn down the emotion and let's look at hard facts." I get the impression that something is mentioned in the press every few weeks, but each report seems to be screaming doomsday with not quite enough facts for me. After a while I get fatigued on the issue.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but it reminds me of the Obama eligibility group (birthers). They have tons of evidence which gets released a little at a time. The government and press deny there's a problem, the people say "Oh, those birthers," and when the next piece of evidence comes out, the response is "Those kooks, that's all been proved to be wrong." Of course, it never had been proved wrong, but people eventually have a knee-jerk reaction to the subject. At that point there's not much you can do to persuade anyone.

I wish I had a solution, because I suspect there may be a problem here, but I don't know what will fix it. Natural News (if I remember the name) gets louder and more paniced sounding to get attention, but that scares off those on the fence.

Thank you again, very much for the thread. You've been reasonable, polite, and thoughtful on a controversial subject. That marks you as a very special person, indeed.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I love you for bringing threads like this to the forefront of knowledge because people need to know!!! S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Although it may not seem like it, I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit, and learning from it.

I wonder if there is a marketing or strategic problem here. Every now and then I see a warning about GMO foods. When I look at it, I tend to say "Well, there may be something here, but turn down the emotion and let's look at hard facts." I get the impression that something is mentioned in the press every few weeks, but each report seems to be screaming doomsday with not quite enough facts for me. After a while I get fatigued on the issue.

Sounds like your on the fence not knowing what or who to believe. Have you considered the documentary Genetic Roulette? It's full of scientific facts about GMO's.

You can also view the film and get more info here: geneticroulettemovie.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Does anyone know why the regular food companies are fighting the GMO labeling so hard? Have any companies come forward with their side of why they dont want to label the products? any links to that info would be nice to read.
I suspect that even if all GMO foods were labeled, most americans would eat them anyways. You really think folks who eat poptarts for breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch and macaroni and cheese for dinner will change their diet if the boxes said, "this product contains GMO derived ingredients" more than half of americans are eating a steady helping of high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, and MSG each and every day, so theres gotta be more to it.

My humble suspicion is, that huge food companies like kraft or nabisco, etc get their bulk ingredients from several different sources and would have a hard time tracking down each farm or supplier for each ingredient they put into each product.
For example lets say you were gonna make some oreo cookies and you need several different ingredients, so in comes your tanker truck of high fructose corn syrup, which was made at a separate factory using corn from who knows how many farms. What if one corn farm was organic and one was GMO and the high fructose corn syrup plant mixed ALL the corn together in the making of high fructose corn syrup? Same goes for the flour, they buy flour in huge bulk that almost certainly came from several different wheat farms, and possibly different countries depending on the season. I betcha thats why the food makers dont want this bill to label GMO foods, because it would cost them money to verify all these ingredient chains from supplier to supplier, and less to do with purposely poisoning the american people to keep us sick. We already have proven that we will eat anything they make by the fact that half of our population is a bunch of o-beasts.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Yes I agree with you a lot of people would eat the stuff anyway. But I believe that people should have the right to choose and that the products should be carefully monitored over a much longer period of time in order to assess health and environmental issues. At the moment profit is coming before any of the above criteria and we are being used as guinea pigs

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think the solution to this is easy (maybe):

these people need protection that big money provides.

you organic farmers NEED to find out who is NOT with Monsanto among the rich community,
and find backers who are willing to put their reputation and face and money out there with yours.

make it a community effort.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join