It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A longbow is the best non-firearm tool for stalking game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Having explored compound bows, recurves and longbows, I am convinced that longbows offer the best hunting.

While compound bows are obviously superior for hunting from a stand or blind, I have found them to be useless for stalking. their weight makes them difficult to carry far, and their bulk and numerous cables and attachments means they will hook on branches in heavy cover, and accumulate grass and leaves when creeping through tall-grass pasture. They are purely stationary hunting weapons.

For stalking game, particularly deer, a recurve has numerous advantages. A recurve weighs less, can take more physical abuse, and most importantly can be drawn silently. Most of the stalking deer I have done takes place at very close range (10-20 yards) in cover. A compound almost always makes some noise when drawn, either from the cams, the cables, or just the arrow shaft being drawn backwards across its rest or biscuit.

I have recently begun stalking with a long-bow and have found it's stealth outweighs the superior range of a compound, and the recurve's ease of draw. While it is harder to pull than a recurve, and definitely harder to shoot as accurately, the fact is that the longbow is even quieter than a recurve.

I have spent some time investigating this. The string on a recurve slaps the limb on the outside curve nearest the notch, which produces a slapping sound as the arrow is released. It is THIS sound that deer react to, and what causes a buck to "jump the string," and instinctively duck when the arrow is shot.

A longbow doesn't have this second, complex curve at the tip of each limb. This means that there is no stacking, making the long bow harder to draw and hold. But with string dampers, the longbow approaches near silence.

I experienced this effect this morning, when shooting at a buck and missing. The buck tensed up, but stood upright--he hadn't seen the arrow fly past (I'm sure he heard it zoom over his back), but he didn't key on the location I was shooting from (I also have rabbit-fur dampers on the string). I think he believed the stray first arrow was a bird. He didn't freeze, but stood with his head up, looking around and moving his ears to pick up on any sound. This would never have happened with a recurve.

Has anyone else noticed this difference?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I agree with you about the positives of a long bow.. There was a guy my father knew who was one of the few people that were making cross bows in the 50s and 60s that made one for me.. Some of my friends had short recurved bows that were much harder to pull the string back on but would only launch an arrow a fraction of the distance of mine... I read they were becoming popular again but as much as I would enjoy hunting with one it isn't possible due to a screwed up shoulder.. I live on 20+ acres of land that is mostly heavily wooded and frequented year round by deer and wild hogs that it is possible too successfully hunt with a big bore magnum pistol.. Of course unless others are hunting nearby land the first shots of the season scares them away which is a good thing in a way unless you like wild pork.. I can't handle the stuff myself unless they are young sows that are trapped and fed grain and vegetables for long enough for the strong gamey flavor from scavenging carrion isn't as bad... I can't think of anything nicer than a freezer full of venizen I've butchered myself.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Interesting.

Pics of your longbow?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I challenge you and raise you the atlatl...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

OP - that is a beautiful piece of weaponry, hands down, as is Judes post. I used to have both a compound bow and cross bow but got rid of them at my wife's request.

Jude, the Aborigines have a water version as well called a Gidgie - has jelly rubber instead of the handle piece and is very effective.

Now, back to mechanics:

Check out this kill weapon...........

www.metalstorm.com
edit on 30-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I was confused by the title but am tracking after reading the post. I'm an avid archer and hunter too.

I love the accuracy and consistency of my Hoyt cams but they are noisy. Hard to argue otherwise. I would love to try a quality long bow for a test period but Lord, they are expensive.

After bowfishing this summer with an old compound, I greatly appreciate the snap shooting ability of the recurve.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I found that my recurve became much quieter after wrapping the ends of the bowstring in yarn,just about the last 4 inches or so where it contacts the limb. Also,as you probably know, heavier arrows tend to be significantly quieter than lighter arrows.
There's some beautiful longbows out there,and if I had lots of money I would have one. Recurves are more common and therefore easier to find a good,cheap used one,which I did. I'vew shot some really nice longbows that other members of my archery club own,and maybe one day I'll get to buy one too.
For now I hunt mostly with the compound. I hear what you are saying about them being far heavier and more cumbersome that a nice trad bow,they can be a pain! I have managed to do it successfully several times though, so it can be done. Also, at times I have found the ability to hold a full draw for several minutes to the difference between success and failure of my hunt. Of course, the smooth,quiet draw of a trad bow and quick shot execution could also prove to be the difference on other hunts.
I am largely an ambush hunter,although not usually from a treestand since there are few suitable tree's here. In the terrrain I hunt in, I find ambush hunting to be my best chance of success,at least for deer. For elk and moose during the rut,calling and run'n'gunning can be very successful. I am heading out this weekend to try to fill my moose tag, the rut should be in full swing.The bulls will be looking to fight or F@#%, so I'll be looking to make some nice cow calls or maybe challenge them to fight.Very excited,should be fun and hopefully a big pile of meat in the freezer.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Tovenar my friend... hunting with longbow's it is..

edit on 1-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
reply to post by tovenar

I was confused by the title but am tracking after reading the post. I'm an avid archer and hunter too.

I love the accuracy and consistency of my Hoyt cams but they are noisy. Hard to argue otherwise. I would love to try a quality long bow for a test period but Lord, they are expensive.

After bowfishing this summer with an old compound, I greatly appreciate the snap shooting ability of the recurve.

Learn to make your own longbow, it is challenging fun and not very expensive. Plenty of websites if you google that you can get instructions from

new topics

top topics

join