It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why there are Homophobes, and hate crimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This is a copy of a post I made on another thread...but I beleive it has validity....It's very long...but I feel it's worth it
.....The most homophobic person just might be homosexual. Having internalized all of society's condemnation of homosexuality, some homosexuals join the fray and actively persecute those that are open and honest about their homosexuality. Why do they do this? Jealousy, self-hatred. I have to wonder, after all, why the issue of homosexuality stirs up such anger and emotion within some people -- I mean, it seems to be such a big deal to some people....why don't these people just shrug it off like I do, or others do...I mean I have my own life to live, my own problems without worrying about what other people are doing in their bedroom.... why should I care...why do these people that hate homosexuals, care so vehemently, about what they do!? Homophobic people are afraid. Fear comes from uncertainty; we are afraid of the dark because we don't know what secrets the dark might be hiding. Many homophobic people are afraid of homosexuals, afraid of how it challenges their beliefs and culture. Homophobic people are insecure. Maybe homophobic people are emotionally and psychologically insecure, afraid of thinking new thoughts or exploring new ideas, rigid and judgmental, the sort of people who believe love has to be earned and that love can be regulated and turned on and off like a water faucet. Such people, I suspect, come from unhappy backgrounds. Maybe they grew up believing that to be loved meant one had to follow a certain set of rules, had to please, had to be accommodating. Such people live in the fear that love can be withdrawn at any time. I often wonder about people who hate....what happened to them to make them so hateful and judgmental of others? Aaaaanyway.....The following is very good reading....

Below you will find some very good reading on the subject

www.bidstrup.com...

www.now.org...

[edit on 10/16/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Great post, well said! I just hope some of the homphobes who live in our society read this and realise that people are people wherever you go and whatever their sexual orientation may be.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Having known homosexuals and homophobes, I have found it difficult to imagine that they're closet homosexuals. I would believe, however, that they were raised in a very conservative household; one that encouraged fear and distrust of anything outside their direct experience.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It depends. Sometimes the homophobe was raised in a very very strict, Christian envrioment and learned it through the ignorance of their parents. Others who live in an envrioment where being gay is looked down upon assume the role of a homophobe to conceal their orintation.

Someone once told me "Whatever you hate so much, is going to end up in your family some day".

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Someone once told me "Whatever you hate so much, is going to end up in your family some day".

THAT ... is one of the rules

along with "Whatever you hate in one life you shall become in the next".

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I agree with ladyV, the statement has some validity, I got my own conclusion, perhaps some homophobes had experiences early in life and because they become a shame of those experiences they turn their feeling of guiltiness into hatred.

Occurs this are just my own personal views. Some other reason for hatred may be just the desire of causing harm to others. I grow up in a community with gays around and they were just fine to me the only thing that I understood very well was the scorn of society about them.

Here in the US I have met many and they are fine people to talk work and just spend time with them.

I have seen more crime�s cause by the so call "straight" people than in any other category.

Thanks ladyV for the link and the thread.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I have seen more crime�s cause by the so call "straight" people than in any other category.

I'm with you on that! There is more crime committed by heterosexuals than homosexuals.....I'll try to find some statistics...on that!

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think this can be the case with some homophobes. Some people who have maybe been brought up in an enviroment of homophobic behaviour it would be really hard to 'come out'. Lashing out is a way to re-affirm hetrosexuality to their peer sand maybe even themselves.

Of course some poeple are just ignorant. Good post.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Some people don't like homos because they are wasting air. They're not procreating and developing the world further. Some don't like them because who they are is defined by sex. They are homos because they have sex with members of the same sex. They are walking sex because who they are IS sex. sex with the same sex. You don't need to have sex to be straight but to be gay you MUST have sex because that is what gay is: sex with the same sex. You don't have to be a christian to understand the wastefulness and the immorality it is to be defined by sex.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Damn verfed

Sounds like you might be part of the secert white agenda

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or at least as big of a bigot

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Verfed "denied Ignorance" read your own words, you are telling us that couples that are straight but cannot have children because of genetic problems are wasting air also?

Please "Denied Ignorance"

Some people just posts for the heck of proving a point but don't even think about what they are posting for.

Yeah just like Amuk said you most be in the secret white agenda

LL1

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am shocked, for one, you have made such positive contributions
here, and you are from Michigan, which like NY you had better know
how to get along with the so many different types of people.
I'm from NY and my belief is to each their own. If this is their way of life
/their thing so be it. To say that they are "wasting air" is so wrong, dead wrong of you.

Bet you have opinions on races/nationalities as well, I'm afarid to hear.
One can't judge a person by their sexual preferences.
Have to ask, do you believe/into aliens? What if they turn out to be of a sexual preference other than to your liking, or of a race you are not fond of?
I happen to like designer clothes, should I not, because of most designers'
sexual preference...

List Of The Famous

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
Some people don't like homos because they are wasting air. They're not procreating and developing the world further.

How are they not developing the world further? Doctors, scientists, construction workers, technicians, artist, teachers...there are gays in all walks of life! As to the ridiculous, ignorant "They're not procreating", yep!!! That's what the world needs, more people in it...never mind love...just so more people can be brought into the world...what's wrong with some of you people!?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Why do people hate anyone that they do not know? Because they can. There really doesn't have to be a reason. If there isn't a reason someone will make one up.

I don't have any problem with gay people. I have lesbian friends. I don't care what they do or if they get married.

I do have a problem with the information sited in the post. One the essay is just more personal opinions, which I find to be based on personal preference and therefore worthless. Secondly, the statistic link mostly shows stats form the early 1980�s and some of the early to mid 1990�s � vastly out of date information. There is much more acceptance of gay students by their classmates in this new century. Schools are a lot different from the 1980�s. And I really hate the word hate crimes that these statistics try to keep using. All violent crimes are hate crimes.

I think that some better information could have been found to prove this point.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
zerotime

Before making conclusions please read these two threads, OK, thats why is personal opinions on this thread.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Sorry, I can't read the first link because it is in a locked off area, which I have little interest in sending points to be part of. The second post is about a post on a white supremacist website, which I don�t see has any relevance. Those people hate everyone. I didn�t say there isn�t hate in the world. My point is that trying to "prove" something with personal opinions or outdated statistics doesn't help - for either side.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Zerotime sorry you can no see the thread that originated the white supremacy as to prove a point and this thread, If you have the opportunity to read the original thread you will understand this one better.

And you are right is all about hatred.

top topics

join