It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable Facts, Something to Take Your Mind Off The Heavy Stuff.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+85 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
There is a page on FB with tons of "unbelievable facts" I wanted to share some of the ones that I enjoy, for those that need a break, or just for fun, and a bit of information... enjoy and relax!

Lichtenberg Figures: The Fractal Patterns of Lightning Strike Scars.

Being struck by lightning is a dangerous and scary experience and can even be fatal. Sometimes, the electrical discharge can leave a tattoo-like marking or scar known as a Lichtenberg figure. The patterns created are known to be examples of fractals.
Lichtenberg figures are branching electric discharges that sometimes appear on the surface or the interior of insulating materials. They are named after the German physicist Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, who originally discovered and studied them. When they were first discovered, it was thought that their characteristic shapes might help to reveal the nature of positive and negative electric “fluids”.

Hollywood stars actually sniff powdered vitamin B when you see them sniffing coc aine in the movies.

Eggshell Art

Chalk Art... how many people do you think walked around the edge for fear of falling in?

Cork Art
This is World's Largest Cork Mosaic. by artist Saimir Strati (229,764 corks and 27 days of hard work)

A book titled Everything a man knows about women has over 100 blank pages.

Genetic deformation. Yet, beautiful.

Wedding rings with the sound waveform of the couple’s voices saying “I do”.

Skull seed pods from the Aquilegia plant.

Earthworms

Earthworms form herds and make "group decisions", scientists have discovered.
The earthworms use touch to communicate and influence each other's behaviour, according to research published in the journal Ethology.
By doing so the worms collectively decide to travel in the same direction as part of a single herd.

The Devils Pool.

There are some freaky currents going on at the Victoria Falls which make it possible to sit/swim right at the edge. It's called the Devil's Pool.
A famous feature is a naturally formed pool known as the Devil's Pool, near the edge of the falls, accessed via Livingstone Island in Zambia. When the river flow is at a certain level, usually during the months of September to December, a rock barrier forms a pool with little current and some people swim in the pool.Occasional deaths have been reported when people slip over the edge of the rock barrier.

The Southern gastric-brooding frog is known to few as the Platypus frog, however, many of us know it as the `frog that gives birth through mouth.

Hutchison Effect.

The Hutchison Effect refers to the number of eerie phenomena that occurred when inventor John Hutchison attempted to replicate a few of inventor Nickola Tesla’s experiments. Some of the strange events witnessed include levitation, fusion of objects completely different in matter (such as wood and metal), and disappearances of some smaller objects. Even stranger is that after his experiment, Hutchison was unable to repeat the project again with the same results. This experiment was so popular it even sparked the interest of NASA and the Military, both whom have failed to produce the Hutchison Effect.

Lincolns Secret Message.

Lincoln carried around a secret message in his pocket watch

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History announced it has found a “secret” message engraved in President Abraham Lincoln’s watch by a watchmaker who was repairing it in 1861 when news of the attack on Fort Sumter reached Washington, D.C.

In an interview with The New York Times April 30, 1906, 84-year-old Jonathan Dillon recalled that he was working for M.W. Galt and Co. on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, where he was repairing Lincoln’s watch. The owner of the shop announced that the first shot of the Civil War had been fired. Dillon reported that he unscrewed the dial of the watch, and with a sharp instrument wrote on the metal beneath: “The first gun is fired. Slavery is dead. Thank God we have a President who at least will try.” He then signed and dated the inscription and closed the dial. Dillon told The New York Times in 1906 that to his knowledge, no one ever saw the inscription.

Golden Eye 64.

Goldeneye 64 was created by 9 people, 8 of which had never worked on a game before (also the multiplayer was an afterthought, created by one guy).

AND THE WEIRDEST ONE YET......

Dolphin rape.

Around 14 people get raped by Dolphins each year.

Researchers studying dolphin behavior have been noticing an alarming trend in recent years. They have discovered rogue packs of adult male dolphins gang raping swimmers in open waters. Human decoys fitted with tracking devices have been dumped in open waters and observed from helicopter.

Scott Randleston of the Dolphin Research Institute of Boca Raton, has been studying dolphin behavior for 17 years, and came up with the decoy program. “In every case the decoy was set upon in a short time by groups of dolphins ranging from 8 to 20 young males. It seems there are gangs of dolphin predators roaming the open waters looking for humans to sexually assault. The dolphins in each case were observed circling the swimmer as one of the group grabbed them with their penis and dragged them under, then the others followed. You see dolphins have a prehensile penis, it is full of powerful muscles and they can wrap it around objects, such as a human wrist, ankle, neck, or waist. One could compare it to a boa constrictor or an elephant trunk….The decoys never resurfaced in any of the studies…. We tracked one of the decoys to an underwater cave where it had been repeatedly raped and torn apart by the dolphins. ”

There are at least 14 cases of dolphin rape reported each year in the United States, these usually occur near the shore where victims are able to escape before they can be dragged into a dolphin rape cave.

I hope this entertained... all and more of this can be found here www.facebook.com...

Peace, NRE.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thanks...now I have to stick my iPods earbuds in my nose.

The lightning fractal pattern was eerily beautiful....would make an awesome tattoo. And the dolphin rape was just simply disturbing.

S&F from me.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Some more unbelievable facts....

In Oakville Washington, it once rained gelatinous blobs that contained human white blood cells.

The townspeople of Oakville, Washington, were in for a surprise on August 7, 1994. Instead of their usual downpour of rain, the inhabitants of the small town witnessed countless gelatinous blobs falling from the sky. Once the globs fell, almost everyone in Oakville started to develop severe, flu-like symptoms that lasted anywhere from 7 weeks to 3 months. Finally, after exposure to the goo caused his mother to fall ill, one resident sent a sample of the blobs for testing. What the technicians discovered was shocking – the globs contained human white blood cells. The substance was then brought to the State Department of Health of Washington for further analysis. With another startling reveal, they discovered that the gelatinous blobs had two types of bacteria, one of which is found in the human digestive system. However, no one could successfully identify the blob, and how they were connected to the mysterious sickness that plagued the town.

Seriously why hasnt anyone figured this one out yet?? Yuck!!!

The Black Helicopter

In May 7, 1994, a black helicopter chased a teenage boy for forty-five minutes in Harrahan, Louisiana. Unable to run any further, the terrified boy explained that the occupants descended from the vehicle and pointed weapons at him. To this day, the boy has no idea why he was targeted by the helicopter, or why, mysteriously, they let him go. One week later, people traveling in a car near Washington had a similar experience when they too were pursued by the helicopter. Unable to escape, they witnessed men in black uniforms coming down from a rope ladder bearing weapons. However, the drivers were let off free, much to their confusion. Black helicopters feature much in UFO-lore and while there are simple explanations for some appearances, others (such as the two above) remain unsolved.

Strange Art?
In 1961, an artist filled 90 cans of feces, one of which got sold for as much as €124,000 at Sotheby's on May 23 2007.

Not sure if its true, but still interesting....

I did not know this...
That pink thing(Plica Semilunaris) on the inner corner of your eye used to be a third eyelid.

Scientist invented an electronic cockroach "Insbot" that was able to communicate with real roaches and influence them.

The Lifestraw

An icon of humanitarian product design – is a small tube that houses some pretty impressive engineering. When water is drawn through the straw, the mechanism inside it purifies water from potential pathogens like typhoid, cholera, dysentery and diarrhea – all before it reaches your lips.

WOW... Just WOW!!!!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

wow great thread ..!
s+f for thee
its nice to have a break from the heavy stuff sometimes - thanks for posting this

im still in total AWE at the lightening strike scar..!!! i would totally go out in a lightening storm to get one of those - provided i survived

thats just incredible, very beautiful and towards the tips it kinda looks like a snowflake pattern.

agreed with smyleegirl on the dolphin rape... had absolutely no idea this even occurred.

love the cork art too - my partner is still renovating his wee house and we came up with the idea to have a cork ceiling..! will be nice n cosy in the living room
oh and ive seen that life straw before - fantastic invention, they just need to manufacture more and distribute more..!

edit on 29-9-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
And yet some more unbelievable facts.....

I LOVE this!!!

THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!
These Shoes Guide You Home Using GPS, However Lost You Are.

"After uploading your required destination to the shoes via a piece of custom made mapping software and a USB cable, the GPS, which is embedded in the heal, is activated by a heal click. It then communicates to the wearer via a ring of LED lights to point in the required direction. The shoe with the GPS wirelessly communicates with the right shoe that has a progress bar of lights to show how close you are to the destination."

Walking Through Doorways Causes Forgetting.

New research from University of Notre Dame Psychology Professor Gabriel Radvansky suggests that passing through doorways is the cause of these memory lapses.

“Entering or exiting through a doorway serves as an ‘event boundary’ in the mind, which separates episodes of activity and files them away,” Radvansky explains.

“Recalling the decision or activity that was made in a different room is difficult because it has been compartmentalized.”

The study was published recently in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology.

Clean your kidneys for a $1.00 or less.

Years pass by and our kidneys are filtering the blood by removing salt, poison and any unwanted entering our body. With time, the salt accumulates and this needs to undergo cleaning treatments and how are we going to overcome this?

It is very easy, first take a bunch of parsley or Cilantro ( Coriander Leaves ) and wash it clean
Then cut it in small pieces and put it in a pot and pour clean water and boil it for ten minutes and let it cool down and then filter it and pour in a clean bottle and keep it inside refrigerator to cool.

Drink one glass daily and you will notice all salt and other accumulated poison coming out of your kidney by urination also you will be able to notice the difference which you never felt before.

Parsley (Cilantro) is known as best cleaning treatment for kidneys and it is natural!

The Man Who Eats Everything

Michel Lotito has a stomach lining which is twice as thick as normal, and it is a rare condition that most doctors are not sure how it occurs. This man can eat metal, glass, as well as toxic and poisonous material! He also consumes mineral oil and drinks tons of water. His gastric juices, or digestive acids, are unusually powerful, which is the only explanation on how he can digest metallic feasts. He entered the Guinness book of records after eating an airplane! It took him TWO YEARS to finish it (from 1978 to 1980).

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Cool thread.

I find Lincolns watch kinda odd and may be a Hoax. I say this because the civil war was Not about slavery at all. The slaves getting free was an outcome of the Union winning because they had to put down the plantation holders who were financing the Confederate side of the war. At the time the war started, there was no talk of liberating the slaves. Even many Northerners and black peoples had slaves. There was no way this watch repairman could have thought the first shot of the war would have anything to do with slavery - and to suggest that the watch makers intelligence on the war was better than the Presidents.. now that's just silly.

+38 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Aha, The head phone piece just entertained this house for the last minutes

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Head phone thing didn't work for me... wait a sec was it all just a scam to get me to shove my headphones up my nose...

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Lol, I was looking down at my thumb and when I looked back up my eyes went right to that last part.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Swimmers beware!

I tried the headphone thing immediately, didn't work. I am thick-skulled tho. =(

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Another Lightning "tattoo".

How do people survive something as life threatening as a direct hit by a bolt of lightning ?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Very cool thread

Thanks for sharing...my son got a good laugh about the headphones up my nose, my husband has the ruler in hand measuring his thumb, and I'm still trying to figure out who in their right mind would buy a can of crap

But none the less my family is entertained lol

S and F for you

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Credit for the penis and thumb thing go to you

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I think they just wanted you to stick your headphones in your nose and look like an idiot.

I realized this when my mouth didn't turn into the speaker I hoped it would have

edit on 29-9-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I tried the headphone thing and it totally worked. It freaked my kid out,

That dolphin one is something I intend to use for small talk at parties.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

It works for you? Hmm maybe I need more practice?

As for the dolphins, that freaks me out. I've actually heard of dolphin rape before and I assumed it was one messed up dolphin who rapes some poor swimmer and then goes on his merry way and the swimmer lives. I didn't know a group of dolphin rapists go not only gangbang humans with their elephant trunk like penis but they kill us! In a cave! Underwater!

FU dolphin!

Now I think it's time Steven Spielberg make a movie about dolphins raping humans.

I'd rather get eaten by a shark. FU dolphin.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The dolphins in each case were observed circling the swimmer as one of the group grabbed them with their penis and dragged them under, then the others followed. You see dolphins have a prehensile penis, it is full of powerful muscles and they can wrap it around objects, such as a human wrist, ankle, neck, or waist. One could compare it to a boa constrictor or an elephant trunk.

The image I had in my mind of smart gentle dolphins has been crushed forever.

What has been read cannot be unread!!!

QUESTION: do the packs of male rapist dolphins prefer male of female humans? That would be interesting to know.
edit on 29/9/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Sorry to burst bubbles but....www.skepdic.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Great thread. S & F for you.
Very entertaining. Gettting great laughs at our home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join