It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Obsession of Atlantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The American Obsession of Atlantis...

Seriously, why?

Nearly every American TV show regarding conspiracies or alternative subjects (Ancient Aliens for example) are always quick to turn to Atlantis when an unknown topic is discussed.

Many American ATSers in general are quick to turn to Atlantis...for anything.

Oh, objects were found under the ocean...IT MUST BE ATLANTIS!!!

Oh my God, what is that weird grid looking thing sitting there? IT MUST BE ATLANTIS!!!

Oh my God, what are these weird shaped blocks? MUST BE AN ANCIENT PORTAL TO ATLANTIS.

Seriously, what's the deal? We hardly have any proof of Atlantis besides the words of Plato (who was more likely to be inspired by myths and stories back then, than witnessing it himself).

Furthermore, the majority of Atlantis nutters prefer to entertain themselves with the theory that Atlantis had awesome technology of unimaginable feat. Lasers, flying craft, kick arse tools and weaponry...

Seriously, there is no evidence to suggest that the Atlantis everybody talks about was real. More so in regards to their supposed technological achievements.

Where do people pull this # from? I notice that it is quite prevalent amongst many Americans ATSers and many American conspiracy or alternative shows.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Back to bashing America again?
I thought you had called a truce.
The ATS American/Australian Truce

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa

Back to bashing America again?
I thought you had called a truce.
The ATS American/Australian Truce

Ah piss off. How is this bashing America??? Seriously. Grow up.

How am i offending anyone here..............................................................

Edit: Sorry for the outburst

I'm not attempting to bash America or its citizens here. It is just something i noticed a lot of Americans share.
edit on 29-9-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

At first I thought you said "Atlanta" and I was going to reply "Dude, you really don't want to live here..." but then I caught "Atlantis" out of the corner of my eye as I was typing.

I am not sure if Atlantis is a purely American fixation or not. I know that I find it intriguing as a distraction and to ponder.

If I were to take a wild guess, based upon my understanding of people, I think that Atlantis offers hope to folks who really do believe that the end is nigh. The myth or story of Atlantis implies two hopeful things.

First that humanity is capable of reaching unfathomable technological feats before they finally zap themselves back into oblivion.

And, secondly, that, even after they zap themselves back into oblivion, enough will survive to build back up and repeat the same process all over again.

Actually there is a third maybe... A hope that, this time, or next time, or the time after that... We'll finally get it right.

Just speculating. But whatever. It feels right.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

i see where you are coming from.

I just noticed it is prevalent on the TV and around ATS

I just thought it odd that people would throw everything behind Atlantis without proof, yet ask for proof regarding othee topics.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Really

I think public awareness about Atlantis, Lemuria, and things of the sort should be raised. I mean are you not the least bit curious. Regardless if they had advanced technology or not is irrelevant, It would be fascinating to know anything more about a culture lost in history.

What if they knew something we didn't, think of what great mysteries could lie in a civilization as enigmatic as Atlantis. Do you really think that we would find solid evidence to completely support the theories about Atlantis in a short time frame? No, just as it took many years to develop the accepted theories about Egyptian culture, it will take a long time to piece together the puzzle. Not to mention that the best evidence is probably at the bottom of the ocean, possibly buried. Oceans which cover roughly 2/3 of the planet, and are very difficult to explore.

In the end, why do you gotta be such a buzz kill. Live a little.

-Have a nice day

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Who says it's an American obsession? Most of the places the investigations lead to require a significant degree of foreign interest before we can even begin to explore.

Besides, Atlantis has more than a little evidence supporting its former existence, and who doesn't want to be the discoverer of a new and strange land - or whatever is left of it?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

Really

I think public awareness about Atlantis, Lemuria, and things of the sort should be raised. I mean are you not the least bit curious. Regardless if they had advanced technology or not is irrelevant, It would be fascinating to know anything more about a culture lost in history.

Yes, i am curious, but not to the point of over exaggerating every thing to the extremity of trying to connect it to completely irrelevant subjects.

What if they knew something we didn't, think of what great mysteries could lie in a civilization as enigmatic as Atlantis. Do you really think that we would find solid evidence to completely support the theories about Atlantis in a short time frame? No, just as it took many years to develop the accepted theories about Egyptian culture, it will take a long time to piece together the puzzle. Not to mention that the best evidence is probably at the bottom of the ocean, possibly buried. Oceans which cover roughly 2/3 of the planet, and are very difficult to explore.

Yes, a lot of spectacular things could be uncovered by exploring a site such as those similar to the myth of Atlantis. No, i do not expect rapid acquirement of evidence suggesting Atlantis is real, nor do i want to see people blindly accepting it as fact.

In the end, why do you gotta be such a buzz kill. Live a little.

I've just had enough of hearing it everywhere. The last place (but most often place) i want to hear it is ATS...where i like to chill out. I know it is inevitable, but it isn't as simple as "don't like it, don't click on the thread," because it is raised in A LOT of threads...

-Have a nice day
You too!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Who says it's an American obsession?

Do you see the amount of American programs which talk about Atlantis and its great and wonderful technology? All of them are American...

Most of the places the investigations lead to require a significant degree of foreign interest before we can even begin to explore.
i agree

Besides, Atlantis has more than a little evidence supporting its former existence
Please share this evidence with us.

and who doesn't want to be the discoverer of a new and strange land - or whatever is left of it?

I think that answer is obvious

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Yes, i am curious, but not to the point of over exaggerating every thing to the extremity of trying to connect it to completely irrelevant subjects.

Ya that does happen a lot, that's why I try my best separate the facts from the conclusions that the presenter draws from those facts.

Yes, a lot of spectacular things could be uncovered by exploring a site such as those similar to the myth of Atlantis. No, i do not expect rapid acquirement of evidence suggesting Atlantis is real, nor do i want to see people blindly accepting it as fact.

Your right, you shouldnt blindly accept it as fact. but think of this as a metaphor. As we went to explore Mars for life, with the recent Curiosity rover landing, we did so not knowing if there was actually life. All we had were little signs. Now that were there, we already found quite recently that there was once fast moving streams, which is just another piece of the puzzle.

So with what evidence we do have of Atlantis, I believe that warrants a thorough exploration. I mean we are searching for stuff on Mars with the little evidence we have, Atlantis should be practically in our back yard.

The last place (but most often place) i want to hear it is ATS...where i like to chill out.

You come to ATS to chill out?? Are you sure you are talking about the same site

edit on 29-9-2012 by Renegade2283 because: typo

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Why are Australians so obsessed with vegemite sandwiches, and Kylie Minogue, and kangaroos?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323
Why are Australians so obsessed with vegemite sandwiches, and Kylie Minogue, and kangaroos?

Stereotyping

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Oh, you want me to share evidence with you? I think not. After all, if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, you should already have done that. Unless you DON'T know what you're talking about, which means you would eventually ask for evidence under the guise of challenging another person's viewpoint - which you are doing right now!

Nope, I'll leave it to you to prove you actually know what you're talking about, because I don't think you do. I am fully willing to admit when Americans are at fault for something, but making my country a scapegoat without due cause is another matter entirely.

edit on 29-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Oh, you want me to share evidence with you? I think not. After all, if you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, you should already have done that. Unless you DON'T know what you're talking about, which means you would eventually ask for evidence under the guise of challenging another person's viewpoint - which you are doing right now!

Nope, I'll leave it to you to prove you actually know what you're talking about, because I don't think you do. I am fully willing to admit when Americans are at fault for something, but making my country a scapegoat without due cause is another matter entirely.

edit on 29-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

What is accepted as proof by some may be considered a theory to others.

You challenged my observations by suggesting there is evidence, and i want to see what you have that makes you believe in this Atlantis.

If you do not provide said evidence, i have all the right to believe that you do not know what you are talking about. It goes both ways mate.

By the way, this thread is not debating about whether or not Atlantis is real, but the obsession of the American TV programs and many ATS members regarding Atlantis. Especially the theory that they had great technology. It is just absurd.

Nice pic of Gohan by the way

edit on 29-9-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Just like your OP, right?

You challenged my observations by suggesting there is evidence, and i want to see what you have that makes you believe in this Atlantis.

What reason do you have to believe that Atlantis didn't exist? I think that's the better question. I'm a bit lazy this morning - I had a rough night - so forgive me if I don't humor your antics.

By the way, this thread is not debating about whether or not Atlantis is real, but the obsession of the American TV programs and many ATS members regarding Atlantis. Especially the theory that they had great technology. It is just absurd.

You still haven't proven your assertion. Speaking of which, what country are you from that ISN'T absurd? You act as though it's a crime.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Just like your OP, right?

Yep
But i am not providing any proof at the moment...i am ranting...

What reason do you have to believe that Atlantis didn't exist? I think that's the better question. I'm a bit lazy this morning - I had a rough night - so forgive me if I don't humor your antics.

There is barely any evidence to suggest that Atlantis existed. Also, one cannot solely rely on the writings of one man and take his writings as fact. Especially when no one else corroborates his findings
edit on 29-9-2012 by daaskapital because: quotes

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Every body I know does not give a rat's a$$ about Atlantis! Move on.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Especially the theory that they had great technology. It is just absurd.

edit on 29-9-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

Its not that absurd. Think of other technologies that we know to have existed like: The Antikythera Mechanism, Damascus Steel, and Greek fire. All of which have been lost in history, Is it so hard to believe that a civilization could have existed with advanced technology. Heck there could been hundreds of these lost civilizations, and all evidence of them remains undiscovered.

Here is some more lost tech: Top 10 Lost Technologies

new topics

top topics

join