It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama instructs defense contractors to break the law

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
For this to be correct it depends on who they are laying off. If the company has less than 100 employees then no notices are required. If a person has been working less than six months no notice is also required. Without knowing the specifics of who is getting laid off then these people are just blowing smoke up peoples butts.

Other Workplace Standards: Notices for Plant Closings and Mass Layoffs

Who is Covered

The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act is administered by the Employment and Training Administration (ETA). WARN generally covers employers with 100 or more employees, not counting those who have worked less than six months in the last 12 months and those who work less than 20 hours per week, or those employers with 100 or more employees, including part-time workers, who in the aggregate work at least 4,000 hours per week, exclusive of overtime. Regular federal, state, and local government entities that provide public services are not covered. Employees entitled to notice under WARN include managers and supervisors as well as hourly and salaried workers.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

We the People of the United States, in Order to ... provide for the common defence,... promote the general Welfare,...

Promote the general welfare ranks right up there next to provide for the common defense, if higher taxes are what is needed to continue promoting the general welfare of the people and provide for the common defense of the people then higher taxes it shall be.Nowhere in the preamble to the constitution does it say that one of the purposes of creating a U.S. government is to promote lower taxes.

It`s un-american to expect to pay lower taxes if the government is already unable to meet it`s purpose for existing due to insufficient funds.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

No necessarily, when it comes to the jobs that has been lost due to cuts this jobs are very specific when it comes to contracts people get hired but they know that under a contractors you have what is call a period of security usually the first year after the contract is awarded with two more years that depends on government review of futher release of funds,. (depending how much funds were awarded)

So is not such thing as released papers if the company lose a contract, if the company doesn't get the next funds that if, depending how big the contractor company is they will release you with pay and separation.

That is how the game is play, but this time with the Governmnet cuts within the ability of contractors to employ people the game is different and is more unemployed already.

Competition is higher now, less jobs and contracts awarded.

People think that the big cuts in the Defend department it means Military, but that is not what is been cut, is employment in the US what is been cut within Governemnt contractors jobs.

edit on 29-9-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Great post. It is obvious that this is a political move near election time. It is amazes me how anyone could read anything else into it. This President has never submitted a budget that even 1 Democrat voted for. No budget means out of control wasteful spending and graft.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Loam, you're wasting your time. These people react to MSM manufactured outrage and that outrage is never directed toward "the one".

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE
This on it's face is utterly laughable. Like these evil bastards need any instruction on breaking the law...come on for Kripes sakes, they make sh$t to kill people!!! And alot of it!! AND dream up new, inventive ways to spill oceans of blood. OP thanks for making me chuckle...how friggin ABSURD.

What's ABSURD Is The friggen' chief executive( charged with enforcing the law; and golf) is telling them to break federal labor laws so as not to embarrass his administration in an election cycle.

Whatever your moral convictions; there are clearly legal ways to go to war as a country.

edit on 29-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

...I feel sorry for you and folks like you who are wasting your time rearrainging the deck chairs while the ship sinks...

Let me guess...

You're one of those revolution advocates who criticizes and insults anyone who only takes simple actions like posting on message boards or engages in conversations about these events, while .....(wait for it)....you sit in the comfort of your own chair with a keyboard in your lap.

There must be a full moon tonight.

Well it certainly wasn't my intention to insult anybody and if I did so, my sincere apologies. Please do not "guess", you are in this instance off the mark. From your commentary one may deduce that you believe that participation in this farcical fraud perpetuated upon the masses actually is productive in some manner. ( I speak of politics, elections, civil participation et cetera. regarding the latter.) This premise is incorrect. You are further facilitating this farcical fraud, this comedy of hypocracy and uber-larceny with your participation. You are in essence an accomplice to your own victimization and that of your fellow believers in this grand scheme of thievery and subjugation. It is not your fault entirely, you have been indoctinated in this fallacy since birth. It is time to put away childish things, stop quoting institutional propaganda and critically think for yourself.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
this is a very scummy move, but many people get laid off with 0 days notice. you get your last check, and you get shown the door

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I unfortunately received one of these notices when working for a company that was an incumbant that lost their contract so the WARN was a requirement, this was known in advance , expected and certain because a new contract was awarded to the winning company.

There is a problem with giving notice for possible sequestration, because the law says unforseen circumstances are not subject to WARN regulations.

The Department of Labor was not doing anything out of bounds, blaming the president for what all parties and the bipartisan committee agreed upon over a year ago as an interim budget solution is bad politics by the Republicans who can't find anything that is a real issue directly against the president.

If there were a list of affected companies, the amounts or contracts specifically getting cut and a definite decision right now on whether sequestration will happen, then maybe there could be a real argument, but right now it is uncertain as to whether or not sequestration will happen so it makes no sense to send a Warn Notice.

I do also believe that some states have guidelines for their own employers to follow in circumstances like this.

edit on 29-9-2012 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

From your commentary one may deduce that you believe that participation in this farcical fraud perpetuated upon the masses actually is productive in some manner. ( I speak of politics, elections, civil participation et cetera. regarding the latter.) This premise is incorrect. You are further facilitating this farcical fraud, this comedy of hypocracy and uber-larceny with your participation. You are in essence an accomplice to your own victimization and that of your fellow believers in this grand scheme of thievery and subjugation.

There is a material difference between advocating how something should work and believing we are already there.

I think my posting history on these boards makes relatively clear I do not suffer from any delusions concerning the latter.

The notion, however, that expressing any expectation of governance somehow 'facilitates' the 'farcical fraud' is just plain silly.

In your view, what is a more appropriate approach?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So in other words everybody here is just as confused about the issue as the politicians and just like the politicians they are using it to push whatever political agenda they have.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ummmm, most people who loose their jobs do not have any advanced notice that they are about to loose it. Matter of fact, as a supervisor, it was always advisable to not let information like that out ahead of time as an employee about to loose their job could jeopardize the operations, or could cause trouble for the employer. We were tought that if an employee was to be fired that it should be on the last day of their work week so that they have off time to deal with the situtation being that they would not be reporting for work the next day anyway.
We were also told to do the firing at the end of the work day, not at the start of the day.
Advance notice of bad things happening would be great in any situation. Unfortunalty we do not get advanced notice and we have to deal with the situation as it occurs. Thats life.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Looking at my calendar, it seems 60 days from 01/02/13 would be around November 15, 2012.

So how is this exactly breaking the law when its still September? Does it not require a 60 day notice?

Jumping the gun wee lil bit they are.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

While that chart is from 2010 the only thing that has change is the health care and defense they are both now at 22% in the latest chart.
the "Military" spending and "foreign Aid" was actually increased until 2017 while the contractors budget was cut.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

No really, I for one, have a husband that is a retired Marine, that have now 9 years working as a Defense contractors, I am very well informed as what is going on right now with government jobs (DOD) and contractors (my husband), I am also very aware of the defense cuts and how is affecting everybody that is either under government or contractors.

All I can say is big turn around going on since June death lines and the August/October new budget for contracts, see they come under the Department of Navy, or the Marines and we all know that the Marines budget have gotten the biggest cuts by the present administration

I know about who the administration is favoring, who is been left out and who is behind the awarded contracts.

None of this information is classified after the contracts are awarded is for public review is you know where to look for, but is not about to be all over the media because of elections coming, but if you are within the system you know.

Lots of people got left out in june (my husband one of them), and for the first time in years rather than only a week or two of waiting due to budgets cut is been so far 4 months that my husband is waiting for a contract.

Thankfully things are looking good. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 29-9-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I was recently laid off form my job as a defense sub-contractor.

Let me tell you: The amount of money wasted - that you guys are paying for - is out of hand.

$13000 to sit around in CCS while the EDO shows up.

$50000 to fix a valve and re install for later.

And there are many more more examples of wasted dollars.

Anyone who has worked in a ship yard knows the laughability of what takes place.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Looks like he's getting away with it.
Lockheed-Martin agrees to Obama's scheme to break the law and avoid massive layoff notices going out by Nov. 2nd. in swing-state Virginia.

twitchy.com...

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 2-10-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Why isn't this story on the HOME page?

This is huge breaking news!
The Obama administration tells defense contractors to break the law, penalize their employees by limiting their ability to have adequate preparation for upcoming mandatory layoffs..., and use taxpayer funds to settle any accrued lawsuits as a result of this travesty.

ALL for political reasons...to delay massive (legally mandated) layoff notices going out in major swing states two days before the election!

This is criminal...PERIOD!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's called the "Spoils System".

Whoever wins the Presidency enjoys the "Spoils" of winning. They select which laws get applied to who, who gets money, who gets to keep their homes or jobs.

America's always been a "Spoils" System. The President can't instruct contractors to "break the law", the President decides what laws ever get applied and to who. Also called "Executive Privileges".

The man can write Pardons and let murderers go free.

<< 1  2   >>

join