It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord Martin Rees: Aliens Fascinate Everyone, But Only Kooks See UFOs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

I remember that show. My favorite part was McGaha's response to a Phoenix witness who took part in the program when she noted that the shape in between the lights was blocking out the stars and then re-revealing them as it drifted overhead. Astronomer McGaha countered this information with:

"Are you qualified to identify stars?"

Orko, Mcgaha also (ab)used his 'twinkling stars' explanation on the Trumbull County Police UFO incident from December, 1994 - what a complete joker that guy really is.

Part 2, 3

As for Lord Rees, here's a good rebuttal from Dan Mack citing some interesting reports from Dr Hynek and Dr Sturrock.

Astronomers and UFOs: A Response to the Lord Martin Rees

Such sweeping statements from well regarded scientists are endlessly frustrating to the UFO researcher. Particularly given that interest in UFOs actually drives some people to study astronomy! Unfortunately the idea that only kooks see UFOs is prevalent.

But because Lord Rees is a scientist, the correct answer is to provide him with scientific data that is directly relevant to his claim. I am aware of only three attempts to scientifically gauge what percentage of astronomers see UFOs. To show that not only do astronomers see UFOs in America, but many are afraid to report their sightings because they fear professional and public ridicule. The final source indicates that astronomers see UFOs at a dramatically greater rate than the general population.

link

Cheers.

<< 1  2   >>

join