It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt Lassen volcano in northern california..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
First off there shows 26 earthquakes on the following map, located directly on or near Mt. Lassen peak... in the past few years i have not noticed any activity whatsoever with this volcano... Does anyone have and live links to seismographs or possible Gee station listing?

www.data.scec.org...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Also too Add, im planing on visiting this weekend here, and will be observing and taking pictures of things are out of the norm..

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Interesting. I lived in Chico for 10 years, and there is a part of Bidwell Park there that is covered with volcanic rocks from the last time Lassen erupted (May 22, 1915). I believe there are also plenty outside of Oroville as well.

Seismic activity could indeed be a precursor to an eruption.

The most important sign of an impending volcanic eruption is seismic activity beneath the volcanic area. Seismologists can interpret subtle differences between earthquakes related to the rise of magma and the more familiar quakes caused by tectonic faulting. Other warning signs of magma rising into the shallow subsurface might include increased release of volcanic gases from small openings called fumaroles, such as those found in the Bumpass Hell area of Lassen Volcanic National Park, and changes in the gas composition. Deformation of the ground surface in the vicinity of a volcano may also indicate that magma is approaching the surface. Typically, these warning signs appear a few weeks to months before an eruption, but can last for decades or even centuries without leading to an eruption.

www.nps.gov...

Looking forward to any pictures you may catch of changes!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thanks for the link... I will defin be taking lots of pics, its a very geothermal active area, i know towards the south end of the park has numerous Hot mud areas, which indicates lava beneath the surface, just not sure how close to the surface or if it is building any... but well see.. just thought id mention it to see if any locals have any info

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lassen is an active volcano. It does not have a ton of back pressure but it is still quite alive and kicking.
There have been small earthquakes there forever.

Call me when Mt. Shasta wakes up. I some some cousins that live in Lemuria and they will be quite keen to evacuate.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

I grew up a half hour from Mt. Lassen, went their a couple of times.
Earthquakes, though uncommon in the area compared to others, are no big deal, especially the small quakes. I wouldn't worry too much about the peak blowing based on these small quakes. Now if the boiling mud acts different (Bumpass hell) or the cinder cones are showing life, or the quakes increase I'd be a little worried.
Have fun at the park, and if you can, climb it. It's not a bad climb, practically no snow, and the views are spectacular.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Agreed. Lassen is a fun place to explore.

Here is the link to the CalVO Lassen Monitoring page. If you set the page to show activity over the past 2 weeks, you get 68 earthquakes:

(cropped and resized to fit ATS)

This pic shows the depth of the quakes over the same 2 week span:

This is actually the most busy I've noticed the volcano over the past year...
I'm stuck on the east coast for now, but I check out the NPS Lassen webcam whenever I am homesick for a bluebird bluesky day.

(it's currently still dark there, but it should be another beautiful day)

ETA: OP, there are not any stations available to GEE for Mt. Lassen. Sucks.
edit on 10/5/2012 by Olivine because: added a reply

join