It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Rover Finds Old Streambed on Martian Surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
So, NASA has found an old stream bed on the surface of Mars, Interesting, yes, but some videos on youtube show that NASA have been photoshopping images presented to the public.

NASA Article Link

Firstly, here is an excerpt of the article and image of the stream bed from the NASA site:

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Curiosity rover mission has found evidence a stream once ran vigorously across the area on Mars where the rover is driving. There is earlier evidence for the presence of water on Mars, but this evidence -- images of rocks containing ancient streambed gravels -- is the first of its kind.

Scientists are studying the images of stones cemented into a layer of conglomerate rock. The sizes and shapes of stones offer clues to the speed and distance of a long-ago stream's flow.

"From the size of gravels it carried, we can interpret the water was moving about 3 feet per second, with a depth somewhere between ankle and hip deep," said Curiosity science co-investigator William Dietrich of the University of California, Berkeley. "Plenty of papers have been written about channels on Mars with many different hypotheses about the flows in them. This is the first time we're actually seeing water-transported gravel on Mars. This is a transition from speculation about the size of streambed material to direct observation of it."

The finding site lies between the north rim of Gale Crater and the base of Mount Sharp, a mountain inside the crater. Earlier imaging of the region from Mars orbit allows for additional interpretation of the gravel-bearing conglomerate. The imagery shows an alluvial fan of material washed down from the rim, streaked by many apparent channels, sitting uphill of the new finds.

And, a second image showing a comparison of the stream bed on Mars to a stream bed on Earth:

However, I also found a few youtube videos of users that've pointed out inconsistencies in the images around Gale Crater on Mars. Repetition of specific patterns and missing sections when compared to google earth. It's really obvious, too. It looks like really amateur photoshopping techniques. Or, it could be some kind of computer glitch that automatically merges images, but that seems unlikely.

Here are the videos. There's a few of them, I know, but they're not long at all and worth watching.

Please, let me know what you all think. Your opinions are highly appreciated and respected.

edit on 28-9-2012 by roblot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
considering they did photoshoped those pics , why?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOs20

Perhaps they found something that they are trying to hide. Who really knows what goes through their head.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I was initially going to ignore this, but then I watched the first video. What is, is... for some reason they have indeed used the clone tool on the new images.

Which is asinine if you think about it. They didn't change the Google Mars images. If you load up google earth, then select Mars, and search the same area, you see the original image - which has no right hand cloned 'lake'. Also it has 3 islands. If you look closely at the Google Mars 'lake' you see something like a Psychotic Horse head. It's gone completely from the new images, both cloned and original area...

I don't think it's them hiding things.... If they can send a damn robot to Mars then that can afford some tafe student to photoshop properly. I think it's just very bad work on someones part. But that there are others... I hope it's a sticthing ghosting effect or something... otherwise the guy in the first video is 100% correct. Any and all of the images of Mars can go right into the bin - may as well be looking at a 2 year olds finger painting.

Pic of the original untouched 'lake' with Secretariat.

A cropped section of the Explore Mars applet, with no third horse head. Maybe it's sleepin' with the fishes.

edit on 28-9-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This is a simulation photo

Existing thread here...........abovetopsecret.....

ETA: The Big Fella below explains it better.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by roblot

However, I also found a few youtube videos of users that've pointed out inconsistencies in the images around Gale Crater on Mars. Repetition of specific patterns and missing sections when compared to google earth. It's really obvious, too. It looks like really amateur photoshopping techniques. Or, it could be some kind of computer glitch that automatically merges images, but that seems unlikely.

The videos you have posted are a hoax. They are not images from Curiosity, but an interactive map of the site compiled from various sources. They are, in effect, a video game and were created using a standard video game program that uses cloning for texture. This issue was discussed at length here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Well, thanks for, letting me know. Apologies for posting a tired topic.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ok, now that we ALL know the simulation photos are a "hoax" (I thought everyone knew this already) let us get back to the main topic.

When I logged onto FB today, this news story was at the top of my SciTech Daily subscription. I, personally, am STOKED. Because it shows that the water was a LONG term thing on Mars and it didn't evaporate right away. (Given it reached estimated heights ankle to waist deep.) So the martian atmosphere was capable back then of sustaining surface water. What, then, happened to this atmosphere in the end... how long did the water remain in the grand scheme of things... Microbial life (or traces) here WE COME!!

top topics

join