It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polarizing Americans Through "Studies"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Most of us see that there seems to be an attempt to polarize Americans as much as possible. If I had to wager a guess, I would say it is purely to distract us. You know, the whole 'divide and conquer' adage.

There are multiple ways the media and other mediums do this, and they employ a range of methods that seem to work to excellent standards. Recently, though I'm sure it's nothing new, I see some crazy studies that have been done by a college or some organization reported on the news that takes me aback and usually has me asking myself, "Did I really just hear that?"

A couple of weeks ago we had this study conducted by the dating site Match.com, which came to the conclusion that Republicans have better sex than Democrats, but Democrats have more of it then their counterparts.

Study says Republicans have the best sex, Democrats the most

Now today, I heard on the news this new study that was done by UCLA, that has them concluding that Republican women are more attractive and more feminine then Democrat women, but again, conversely they found that Democrat men were more masculine then Republican men.

Study: Female GOP politicians look more feminine

So, I guess my question is, are these actual attempts to further the polarization of our people? Or am I just reading too much into it? Because when I hear things like this I first wonder if I am living in Bizarro World and subsequently wonder why the hell is this stuff important or relevant at all? To me, it seems like a cheap and thinly veiled attempt at getting people more angry at their supposed "enemies" on the other side of the political spectrum.

With so many important issues this country faces at this particular time, why are people wasting their time on studies such as these? Are they just bored? And why study things like the sex they are having and how pretty they are? Both things that drive at people's egos.

As Christopher Walken would say, "It's crap!"
edit on 28-9-2012 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotGames2
Most of us see that there seems to be an attempt to polarize Americans as much as possible. If I had to wager a guess, I would say it is purely to distract us. You know, the whole 'divide and conquer' adage.

There are multiple ways the media and other mediums do this, and they employ a range of methods that seem to work to excellent standards. Recently, though I'm sure it's nothing new, I see some crazy studies that have been done by a college or some organization reported on the news that takes me aback and usually has me asking myself, "Did I really just hear that?"

A couple of weeks ago we had this study conducted by the dating site Match.com, which came to the conclusion that Republicans have better sex than Democrats, but Democrats have more of it then their counterparts.

Now today, I heard on the news this new study that was done by UCLA, that has them concluding that Republican women are more attractive and more feminine then Democrat women, but again, conversely they found that Democrat men were more masculine then Republican men.

So, I guess my question is, are these actual attempts to further the polarization of our people? Or am I just reading too much into it? Because when I hear things like this I first wonder if I am living in Bizarro World and subsequently wonder why the hell is this stuff important or relevant at all? To me, it seems like a cheap and thinly veiled attempt at getting people more angry at their supposed "enemies" on the other side of the political spectrum.

With so many important issues this country faces at this particular time, why are people wasting their time on studies such as these? Are they just bored? And why study things like the sex they are having and how pretty they are? Both things that drive at people's egos.

That's an interesting question to ponder, PatriotGames2.

I suppose that any idiotic topic which implies that one section of the populace is in some way superior to another (regardless of how moronic that topic might be) is capable of creating polarization and I think that the majority of us would agree that "polarization" is merely a euphemism for "divide and conquer".

With that said, it could also be used as an equally affective technique for "slight of hand" and given the sensationalistic nature of said topics you've cited, they are sure to gain the attention of more people since sex always sells. For me, it begs the question of their true intent; is it polarization that they're trying to achieve or just more mass mind-numbness to deflect us from those topics they don't want us focusing on???

Either way, it's dirty pool and a shame that so many fall for its surface appeal.

Although I would have been tempted to give you a star for your mere mention of Christopher Walken, who I adore, this is a good topic deserving of an S&F for the subject matter alone.

Timidgal

P.S. Makes me wonder where my partner and I would fall on the spectrum of these highly scientific studies: we're both unaffiliated to any particular party, were both somewhat attractive, despite our desire to vote our conscience (blaphemous to the deflectors, I'm sure), and yes, we do enjoy a...er...very active intimate life.

edit on 9/28/2012 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/28/2012 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

Thanks for the response, timidgal. Christopher Walken is surely a god!

I think you are right about the sensationalist nature of these sorts of studies/news stories, and honestly I would think that both reasons may be the answer. Kind of killing two birds with one stone, or more accurately, working in concert.

The media - I'm painting with a wide brush here since many different things fall in this category - is always trying to use emotion in order to play at people's fears, or anger, or ego as I mentioned, and so a story that is bound to get people in a tizzy will accomplish both distracting them from the real issues as well as create tension amongst themselves.

When it's done so often and on such a large scale, it's hard not to call it what it is - psychological manipulation, or basically mind control. Mind control seems like a strong word because these techniques are subtle, but truly what they do is train you and your brain to react in such a way that allows for most to not be privy to what is actually happening and/or why they are reacting the way they are.

I'm glad to hear everything's well between you and your partner! You know, sex 3 times a day will keep the doctor away. I would be interested to know where unaffiliated or "independents" would fall in these studies, I find it interesting they did not include them. That probably wouldn't have helped them achieve what it was they were going for, but I'm speculating.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotGames2

Well I like your summary of the studies. That helps because I probably wouldn't have read the studies. The conclusions are interesting. A high minded Republican feeling with a discerning approach to quality, and a more basic Democrat getting on with it. Getting one with it often. I think it does create division. A sense of us and them. If the studies are legitimate and accurate. it could represent a coincidental behavioral preference in individuals That is to say that people of like political persuasions share similarities in other personal characteristics and preferences . That's not necessarily surprising.

But I think your question nails it. " why are people wasting their time on studies such as these?"

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

I dunno.

I'd ask myself if simply out of curiosity from personal observation are the studies true?

Then ask.

Do they really matter?

I like your Walkens quote

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

There are 3 types of people in this world. Those that know how to count, and those that don't.

Studies highlight the differences. I wish we could find studies that emphasized the similarities. I do agree that these are attempts at dividing people. Categorising them.

top topics

join