It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse aging? Scientists find way to make old muscles young again

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

You're correct. He'll likely grow out of this anti-human, pseudo-nihilist phase. I went through one in my early 20's as well.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I do recall specifically acknowledging that I made peace with the world when I was 23.

The only way I can make peace with the world is when the world makes peace with itself, because the main source of my contention is that the people with the most power to protect the world are the people endorsing its destruction along with their own - for purely selfish reasons, I might add.

I don't care about your personal story. If you've found peace, you've obviously given up. I won't be joining that party any time soon.

reply to post by moniesisfun

You've obviously decided to ignore the pain of the world as well. I refuse to be so weak, and I will continue to give my assistance where it is needed. This "new" method of rejuvenating old tissue is a symptom of our wanting to be gods with none of the responsibility, believing that we deserve more than we were rightfully given, and aiming to give ourselves the power to rule over others regardless of whether that's what's best or not. If we cannot handle the technology we have today without hurting anyone, then why should we invent new technology that will lead to the same temptations? I don't approve of it, and until our leaders and fellow man can show some form of restraint and compassion, I will continue to disapprove.

If this displeases you in some way, or provokes any degree of pity or contempt, then simply don't reply and walk away. I have nothing more to say to you. This is my agreeing to disagree, and my refusal to sit here and be treated like a child for what I believe in. If you cannot accept that with civility, then consider this my resignation from our current discussion.

May peace be with you.
edit on 28-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I think that is the idea here.

Stay active.

That is not the idea that I got from the article. In fact, what it seems they are going to try to do is slow down the cells. So, it would seem to be as blackmarketeer said, if the cells have a finite number of divisions them having them divide more often should be bad.
edit on 28-9-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I mean, I look at them and think to my self. "Wow! You've aged." And they have remarked that other than the grey hair, I still look the same. Ugly...

I was told grey hair may be tied to copper deficiency. You might want to research it or try a copper supplement for a few months.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Slowing down the cells slows down the metabolism. Slowing down the metabolism means less energy.

Staying young = less energy.

Does anyone here think this is a worthwhile trade?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

They are talking about the division of these stem cells and not cells in general. The article states that:

The problem with aging muscles is that these ‘fixer’ stem cells don’t remain dormant when they’re not needed. Instead, they become activated more and more and unnecessarily divide and multiply – causing them to die at a faster rate.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The problems I listed previously are still valid if this research is applied as listed previously.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

The problems I listed previously are still valid if this research is applied as listed previously.

I don't see how. The research is focused on lowering a protein that activates these stem cells, which does not affect the metabolism of the rest of the tissue.

edit on 28-9-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm talking about applications and the greed that will inevitably develop as a result of "reversing" the aging process.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I was replying to the post where you talk about:

Slowing down the cells slows down the metabolism. Slowing down the metabolism means less energy.

which I took to mean the biological application and not some social side effect.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here's the real answer, folks . . . and you don't have to be a rocket scientist either . . .

just grab a case or twenty!!!

You're welcome!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Do you have another link besides Faux? I just hate to think of clicking on it. haha.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

i'm always bumping into doors-walls-counters-chairs and resulting in lots of bruises....and muscle repair !

but that's not why i'm responding...
i post because in the 5 'AM' News break during the C2C radio show (28 sept '12)
...the report was that beer consumption activates the 'youth' gene...

the catch is that one must drink maybe 60 gallons of beer & froth (per day) to have the genes/hormones activated
(they are guestimating using Lab Mice findings and formulating the 'intake' for Humans in a ratio)

hey i'm a senior citizen, retired on SS, my libido fluxuates, but my hairline is as it has been since i was 19 years old...still got a solid torso (albiret with a "Buddah "Belly from a handsome consumption of the froth of fermented grains (brew ski's)
edit on 28-9-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Mind explaining how that supposed solution results in liver failure, then?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Not grasping something here - how do some people work out and look great well into their advanced years, if, as the article states, we only have a 'finite number' of these muscle stem cells? Jack LaLane worked out daily and looked great well into his 90's. I even made a post here a couple months ago about a black female bodybuilder who looked fantastic at age 70.

80%+ of your body composition is diet. I'm 52, and I too watch as my friends age, get paunches. I have one facing a hip replament that I beleive is preventable. They just get fatter. Makes me sad.

1. Doctors don't know everything. Most of their post school education comes from drug companies. 99% of them don't know squat about nutririon except to parrot back "hearthealthywholegrains", "lowfatlowcholesterole" garbage.
2. Diet. Diet Diet. Real food. Grassfed meat. Chickens raised on pasture and thier eggs. Properly raised vegitables and some fruit. Berries. No sugar. No grains. No cokes. No vegitable oils or margarine. Use coconut oil, beef talolow that you render yourself or real butter from grassfed cows. You get the point. REAL food.
3. Movement. Walking. Resistance excersize (lifting heavy things). I'm not talking about 5lb pink weights. I mean HEAVY. I've seen women older than me lift what I can lift. This also strengthends bones. Go to someone and learn to lift without hurting yourself.
4. Don't run. Waste of time and damaging to the heart. The heart needs variable beating. Running causes a non-variable beat, and that's not good. Ever wonder why those seemingly healthy young people drop dead of heart attacks when running? If you want to run, sprint 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 4 minutes 3x/week.
5. NSAIDS. Just don't. Especially Ibuprofen. Extremly bad for the heart.
6. Statin drugs. Another don't. There is no connection between heart disease cholesterol. That was all based on a fraudulent study by Ancel Keys in the 50's.
7. Sunshine. Do that. Don't burn though. Suppliment with vitamin D3 to get a level of 40ng/ml at a minimum. I keepmine around 60ng/ml. With this take vitamin K2 complex. This will keep the calcium that the D3 make more bioavaiable in the bone instead of soft tissue. This is why women have caught up with men in heart disease. They all take calcium for their bones and they lack K2, so the excess calcium goes to soft tissue like their arteries...

Do this. Change today. Then as the years go by, watch all your friends get fatter and more infirm while you are 52 like me and still feel literally like a 25 year old.

From an RN who really does care.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

you said"

5. NSAIDS. Just don't. Especially Ibuprofen. Extremly bad for the heart

i will check into that claim...
because my research expressed the facts that brand name TYLENOL is a real killer to the liver & thats why i stopped the once a year need for such OTC 'tylenol/acedomenithen?' painkiller in the first place
and chose to have Iboprophen as my ally instead

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

You've obviously decided to ignore the pain of the world as well. I refuse to be so weak, and I will continue to give my assistance where it is needed.

More assumptions pulled out your bum, eh? Damned you're a bright one..aren't you?

Just because I'm not in some stupid state of despair like you...I "obviously" ignore the pain of the world.

You realize how ridiculous you sound?

Look, you're anti-progress. I think you're an Ni dom or aux that can't back the function up with the proper thinking. It's gone berserk, and you're just making idiotic assumptions pretty much nonstop. You take one thing, and illogically follow it to some end you imagine that simply has no damned existence outside your mind. I suggest you learn some basic psychology...people chill out when they don't feel a lack. Wether that be in days, meals, or pussy.

Wait, I got you pegged...INTJ. You're the idiot who would go down with the ship because "it's the right thing to do"..

It's the tertiary Fi. I'm Fi aux. ENFP. Totally different.
edit on 28-9-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I do recall specifically acknowledging that I made peace with the world when I was 23.

The only way I can make peace with the world is when the world makes peace with itself, because the main source of my contention is that the people with the most power to protect the world are the people endorsing its destruction along with their own - for purely selfish reasons, I might add.

I don't care about your personal story. If you've found peace, you've obviously given up. I won't be joining that party any time soon.

The world does well to protect itself, no less protecting itself from the people inhabiting it. You will be wise to know who and what as well as when to battle, grasshopper. No time soon, more than a year from now is how I figure it, and at your age that seems an eternity.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
reply to post by davjan4

you said"

5. NSAIDS. Just don't. Especially Ibuprofen. Extremly bad for the heart

i will check into that claim...
because my research expressed the facts that brand name TYLENOL is a real killer to the liver & thats why i stopped the once a year need for such OTC 'tylenol/acedomenithen?' painkiller in the first place
and chose to have Iboprophen as my ally instead
It's not the "brand name" it acetimeniphen. It's in so many cold remedies. Some takes tylenol, then some Nyquil... before you know it, acute liver failure. I think it's the giggest reason for liver transplants in the US.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I'll stick to using my stemcells to rejuvinate muscles when they get damaged. If you shut the process down too long will it ever start up again. I tried to track down the basis of the medicine when I read this on Science Daily a couple days ago to see what it was derived from. I couldn't get a cross reference. I'm trying to find ways to stop the wasting of muscles as we age, I found how to do that. I suppose the opposite of this, which I know, can be used to stop stemcells from coming out. I saw nothing about making them young in the articles I read. It's all about preserving the stemcells we have not about making new stemcells.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join