It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new day [2014 WC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The sun rises on another day, cup of coffee in hand, I move to my deck to watch the light flicker through the trees wakening the birds as they vie for that early worm. It’s been almost a year now since the last of the skirmishes played out. I can’t say that I miss them, not at all. The morning news show has grown quite boring without the crime and the war and the political differences causing constant havoc all over the world. Now it’s just reminders of birthdays, anniversaries and what groups have made an impact with their efforts. I never realized how nice “dull” could be.

As I sip from my cup I hear the twitters begin. It has become my morning entertainment. I think the robin’s eggs must have hatched, she’s being very protective of her nest this morning. The chirping seems to be of a higher pitch as well. The soft sound of music drifts to my ears from my wife’s alarm clock. She’s rising and shining it seems. She’ll enjoy the cup of coffee I set out for her on the warmer, her favorite flavor.

The bottom of my cup has become clear now, I suppose it’s time to get showered and dressed and off to work. I remember when this was a horrible chore. I’d get up early, rush to get ready, drive across town in horrible traffic to a job I hated. I’d spend the day trying to please a unappreciative boss, deal with angry coworkers, rush off to lunch, return with indigestion and get back in the grind until I could go home. Things have certainly changed.

Next week is October, the one year anniversary. I’m really looking forward to it. The kids have been preparing all week with their school projects. We’ve taken a dozen trips to the craft store to buy glue and paper and glitter and lord knows what else. My son made a paper mache’ model and my daughter designed a very elaborate costume to wear in the school play. She got the lead role. She’s been practicing for weeks and gleaming with pride as we applaud her and whistle out like she’s the biggest superstar on the red carpet. We’re building memories that they’ll cherish the rest of their lives.

Only a year ago, but it seems like a lifetime. We had dreamed for years of this time coming, we anticipated chaos, turmoil, perhaps even a breakdown of society, but, it came in like a whisper. If it had been any more smoothly, we may not have even known it had happened, but we thank God in Heaven above that it did. It’s just so hard to believe that something so tiny could have this much impact on our lives, on everyone’s lives.

No more race issues, we’re all of the same race now, the human race. No more political groups fighting with one another, no more religious differences, no more wars, no more hatred. It really is amazing. The best part is the new life that we’re bringing into the world. We had decided not to have any more children with the turmoil that was going on in the world, that it just wasn’t a world we wanted to expose another child to. But now … what better gift to give a child than the future that lies ahead. What better gift to give to the future than a new child, never exposed to the old world and ready to embrace all that there is to offer.

Yeah, my coffee is gone, it’s time to get moving …

edit on 25-9-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thought I'd give it a shot... just for the heck of it

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Very nicely done P.C. I like how you leave it to the reader to figure what the event that changed the world was.

Keep the stories coming.....S&F.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven83
Very nicely done P.C. I like how you leave it to the reader to figure what the event that changed the world was.

Keep the stories coming.....S&F.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing what people may dream up

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Stories in this contest that aren't disaster related are rare.

Flag from me.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I like the positive spin on the story.....kinda nice to balance out Beez and Druids great stories which had a more dark feeling.......lol....I did want to know what event actually changed the world though!

Perhaps a law that requires ALL politicians and judges to take publicly shown lie-detector tests in order to hold office......if they fail....straight to jail.....

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

I like the positive spin on the story.....kinda nice to balance out Beez and Druids great stories which had a more dark feeling.......lol....I did want to know what event actually changed the world though!

Perhaps a law that requires ALL politicians and judges to take publicly shown lie-detector tests in order to hold office......if they fail....straight to jail.....

Lol thats a great notion....

I thought it was perhaps alien contact or even future humans, but your idea is awesome!!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

S&F PC. The aliens did it! They gave every human a happy pill or somethin'. That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Thanks everybody!

... I'll let it sit a while, then add to it

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Great stuff Shellie - I like your style!

I think I need to pay a little more attention to these Short Stories threads - thats 2 of out 2 this morning

S&F.

top topics

join