It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eleven Christians Arrested, Jailed And Charged Under Hate Crimes Legislation, In America!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
Christian persecution is a serious problem that we face in this great nation of ours. Frankly, I think the efforts of some Americans are, quite simply, lacking. I'm hoping for a nice, year end number of at least 50,000 persecutions. Believe me, it's not for a lack of trying on our part, it's just that some people are simply underachievers. They're not properly motivated

You're getting dangerously close to hate speech here, brimstone and your offending at least a portion of the membership here.

I wonder where all the tolerance people are denouncing your post.

Must be a blind spot.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
If I'm only offending a portion, then I have some work cut out for me. Grady, I'm honestly not surprised that you're simply unable to grasp the concept of satire. It's an absurd concept in your literal world. It must be a terrible thing to be so paranoid that you're surrounded by percieved enemies.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Sorry but I don't get why these arrests are bothering some people.

They were there to disrupt a peaceful event and were obviously preaching anti-gay material.

I guess the arrests just offend homophobes.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I think what has happenned is terrible. It is getting to the stage that if you aren't gay you feel abnormal.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

They were there to disrupt a peaceful event and were obviously preaching anti-gay material.

Same thing would of happened if a bunch of "other than Christians" showed up at a gathering of Christians... gathering with the purpose of discussing "those that were not Christians"....why were the Christians there? Were they going to offer their religion to save their soul?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It's a case of live and let live.

Any time some group hold a demo or gathering and an opposition group decide to crash it, there is only one possible reason, to deny free speech and expression.
I may not agree with some of the more extreme gay rights groups or right wing nutters that hold marches or demos but I will not deny them the right to do so. That is what freedom and democracy are all about.

To turn up at this sort of event in opposition to the group holding it is reckless, small minded and petty and will inevitably end up in confrontation and possible violence.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Surely, you aren't serious.

If a Christian is against homosexuality, the person is a "homophobe"? We are also against murder, so what is the word for that? And being against stealing or any other of the sins, do you have a word for them as well?

Disrupting a peaceful event by speaking there mind, that is against the rules, now? Do you feel that way when other groups do the same thing? Do you feel the same way when Act Up does the same thing? Surely you understand that ther Christians are trying to reach out to fellow human beings, trying to get them to understand that there is another way, that God is the way, and He can release them from their bonds. That is a reason to stack charges? You do understand "stacking charges", right? Their protest, by all accounts, including regular media, was not violent in any way, unlike other groups that are non-Christian.

I find it interesting that when anyone other than Christians speak their mind it is heroic, but if a Christian dare do the same, they are dastardly. Truly, a sign of the times and a glimpse of what is to come.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Oh come on. You really think they were arrested for doing nothing?

What other reason were they there for other than to say homosexuality is wrong? In a place filled with homosexuals you are saying what they were preaching is not disruptive?

Again, this would also show that the people preaching are ignorant, I imagine they believe homosexuality is a choice. That is very insulting to homosexuals.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So maybe not everyone want's to be a "Christian".
I am no Christian but know the difference between right and wrong, I treat others as I'd like to be treated myself, with courtesy.
If somebody, due to their personal beliefs, wants to tell me I'm wrong then they have every right to do so, but I'll tell them to go poke their ideology where the sun don't shine (diplomatically of course) if they get in my face.

Some, if not most, of the "Christians" I have ever come face to face with have proved to be the most bigoted, small minded and mean people possible. Ok, they believe their faith is the only true faith and everyone else is wrong. Well, life is a bitch sometimes and not everyone thinks the same, they need to get over it and stop trying to impose their will (or Gods)on others who don't want to hear it.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Oh, so you are saying that speaking their mind in public must be disruptive, therefore is wrong (for them as Christians to do that) and therefore they must be taken away? I refer you to non-Christian folk who do the same thing, not from concerns of others' salvation, mind you, but because of their own self-interest.
There are many things that are insulting to people, but just because they are insulted doesn't mean they are right. By the way, those people that used to be practicing homosexuals that have been born-again and delivered from that very type of Satanic bondage might disagree with your assement of the affliction. They might very well tell you that it is not a physical trait you are born with (That notion has been disproven, by the way, unless that has also been overturned like the egg scene *you know, one day eggs are good for you, then bad, then good, then....*) but sins of the fathers (Sins passed down to offspring) or because of molestation as small children (The Bible makes it plain that when you copulate the two flesh become one, therefore demons have legal authority to pass from one to another, even if the other is an innocent child).

And, by the way, that particular city is one of the leading cities when it comes to "gay-sensitivity". Do I believe that they would be arrested without actually commiting a crime? Yes. I do. Oh, yeah, if a false arrest happens to a secular type, it is believable. If it happens to 11 Christians, it is believed to be false because some just can't come to terms with the fact that Christians are actually evil people who need to be arrested! My bad. I'll try and get with the times.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Oh how I long for a world where all the religious folks have killed each other and us athiests can live in peace and get alonf just fine

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well I would like to see some other source of this particular case as well, but I just love their own description of whatever they were doing there..

...during an evangelistic outreach at the annual "OutFest" homosexual pride...

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Interesting issue here people. As many people on this board know I am probably one of the most "Pro-Homosexual Rights" people on this board. However, Christians, like anyone else have a Democratic right to protest for something that they believe in. Although I, like many others, may not agree with their own system of beliefs they have the right to feel the way they do. As much as I have angst toward the KKK; I would not stop their rallying as it is the Right of Free Speech which makes this country what it is.

If Christian protestors were not "allowed" to protest for what they believe in; it is the same ideological concept which would drive some to believe that Anti-Bush people cannot protest against Bush, or Anti-Kerry people cannot protest against Kerry. Now, the only point of police intervention should be allowed is when the groups confront each other and there is a chance for violent behavior to take place.

Free Speech means free speech for ALL, not a select, small group of individuals.

A couple of months ago my fiance' and I attended the local Gay Pride Day in the Downtown park, and in attendance were the usual Anti-Homosexual nutcases (You know...dressed in hunting gear, big beer bellies, holding signs, etc.). Did I think it was wrong for them to be there? Maybe, but its not my place to judge them as they are doing to others. Did I think it was wrong for them to protest? Absolutely not! They had just as much a right to protest for what they believe in as any other person, and it's only when it becomes physical that something should be done.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
There are many things that are insulting to people, but just because they are insulted doesn't mean they are right. By the way, those people that used to be practicing homosexuals that have been born-again and delivered from that very type of Satanic bondage might disagree with your assement of the affliction. They might very well tell you that it is not a physical trait you are born with (That notion has been disproven, by the way, unless that has also been overturned like the egg scene *you know, one day eggs are good for you, then bad, then good, then....*) but sins of the fathers (Sins passed down to offspring) or because of molestation as small children (The Bible makes it plain that when you copulate the two flesh become one, therefore demons have legal authority to pass from one to another, even if the other is an innocent child).

I don't agree with most of what you've said here, but you're entitled to state your views and believes as am I. I'm not a homosexual, but I can appreciate why homosexuals would find these views offensive. Personally, I don't believe homosexuality to be a 'lifestyle choice' and even if it is, it is not my place or yours to tell other people how to live their lives. I am concerned that you talk about child molestation in the same paragraph. I do hope that your not suggesting that the two issues are some how connected.

Generally speaking, I really do wish that those who zealously follow 'the code' of their chosen religion would appreciate that there is a large proportion of the worlds population who do not believe in such things and therefore are not bound to live by the same 'rules'. Live and let live.

[edit on 16/10/2004 by Deckard_BR26354]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
�HOMOSEXUALITY IS SIN, CHRIST CAN SET YOU FREE!� and the other, �PHILLIES PROMOTE HOMOSEXUALITY. STOP 'GAY DAY'!"

Signs used by them,from their website, about a different avent.

�HOMOSEXUALITY IS SIN, CHRIST CAN SET YOU FREE!�- that is not an opinion, they are saying it is fact.

�PHILLIES PROMOTE HOMOSEXUALITY. STOP 'GAY DAY'!", so those complaining about not having a right to protest is amusing. The group itself is trying to get an event where people are enjoying their right to be gay stopped, hmm.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by Kriz_4]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
By the way, those people that used to be practicing homosexuals that have been born-again and delivered from that very type of Satanic bondage might disagree with your assement of the affliction. They might very well tell you that it is not a physical trait you are born with (That notion has been disproven, by the way, unless that has also been overturned like the egg scene *you know, one day eggs are good for you, then bad, then good, then....*) but sins of the fathers (Sins passed down to offspring) or because of molestation as small children (The Bible makes it plain that when you copulate the two flesh become one, therefore demons have legal authority to pass from one to another, even if the other is an innocent child).

Give me a break Thomas, nearly everything you just stated above has not been proven. If the above statement stands for anything, its the fact that you dont seem to be "Denying Your Own Ignorance" so to say. I too, could twist around the Bible to say what I want, and pick out certain phrases that make up a complete system of beliefs while completely negating everything else...as you seem to do. There is no proof that Homosexuality as you say "...physical trait you are born with (That notion has been disproven, by the way". So again, you are not helping your point any when you spout off stuff like this.

By the way..."born again" Homosexuals...don't make me laugh

"...that very type of Satanic bondage."- Truely funny Thomas, this comes across as nothing more than the typical ranting of a Christian Zealot.

I do want to thank you for proving how much you really do not know about this topic, and how invaluable your opinion has been to this discussion.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well said, Jazzerman

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Hate crimes legislation did nothing but create a needless hierarchy of especially protected citizens. White, heterosexual, christians need not apply.

Ah, but last time I checked, GradyPhilpott, "white, heterosexual, christians" were not being attacked and murdered for no reason other than that they were "white, heterosexual, christians."

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

So, I is ok for gays to have freedom of speech, but not religious people in America? The left complains about the Patriot Act, but if Hate Crimes legislation is going to be used like this, this goes far beyond anything in the Patriot Act and does FAR MORE to curtail civil liberties.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
All hate crime laws do is continue to seperate people based on their religion or color. Martin Luther King Junior would hate these laws. He wanted equality not special treatment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join