It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: FCC OKs Broadband Over Power Lines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Imagine living in a world where, no matter where you live on earth, if there is an electric outlet there is affordable broadband access. Until yesterday only urban areas had access to affordable broadband internet service. This FCC ruling helps change that problem. There are still hurdles to cross before this hits the masses, but it has already been tested in several areas of the U.S., and some power companies are ready to roll right now.

www.cio-today.com
Yesterday"s decision by the Federal Communications Commission to remove barriers to the delivery of broadband services over power lines give consumers a third broadband option.

The Commission adopted updates to its rules on Access Broadband over Power Lines -- or Access BPL -- that will help eliminate roadblocks to implementation of a BPL industry. One of the main sticking points has been the possibility of radio interference with other systems. The FCC"s new rules set technical standards that will foster workable BPL technologies.

"Our coupler technology has made our business possible," said Jay Birnbaum, vice president and general counsel for Current Communications, a broadband provider that has teamed up with the Ohio-based utility Cinergy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I read about this technolgy that allows broadband over power lines when it was first developed a couple years ago using back EMF"s. from the electricity in the power lines. From the moment I read the article I was facinated with the Idea.

First I though on the individual level. Imagine being able to plug your home pc, into any outlet in room in the house anywhere there was an electric outlet, without the need to run network or phone lines to get Internet access. Next I began to realize the potential for North America. Quickly the global implications began to come in focus for me.

Now, a few years later, it is real. Not real as in "you may see this tested in a few years". Real as in "NOW", today it is here. Cinergy is taking the lead role in deployment in Ohio. EarthLink recently tested it in North, & South Carolina & central Florida. REMC is ready to go live in Indiana. Who knows in a few years maybe the whole world.

Related News Links:
www.sciremc.com
www.sciremc.com
www.cinergy.com
www.pcworld.com

phx.corporate-ir.net...
www.enquirer.com...
www.ibec.net...

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I believe Art Bell had a snippet about this-- possibly several over time-- due to his concerns about how broadband over power lines will affect ham radio.

I know little about the subject, but I think its darn cool. Imagine the possibilities! hooking a tablet PC up in the kitchen and pulling up gourmet recipes on the fly...taking your laptop to a hotel and not having to shuffle cords constantly... endless possibilities!

I hope it costs less than my DSL connection does now....

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
= $ =

Why has the 2nd most obvious 'pipeline' been so much the laggard??

Maybe, because 'they' didnt have the cyber infrastructure to analyse
the 'echo' or 'ambient' electron stream which has the effect of monitoring
your 'inside the house' activities.

your house wiring 'picks up', very very weak changes in the EM field, from say, as you walk around the house- for instance, as you flux the EM continuum (just like some dowsers are able to detect)

I has taken a long time, because following the old telephone models, 'they' needed, already in place, quick response, tracking, monitoring 'nodes' in operation for this matrix to be energized for the publics' use...

This is only hearsay and fanciful fiction...is what i tell inquisitive, well dressed, persons appearing as a team or whatever

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Art Bell's main concern of broadband over power lines is the wide band signal noise it will cause. Which does suck for radio geek's, these large wires are not shielded. But yet it has not been proven that this would happen, it all depends on how it is set up and location etc.... China, France and Spain are already using this system where no interference has been reported. But if there is complaints in the future, the FCC will get an ear full lol.

XL5

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This means free internet through an open antenna, it also means no one can find where you live. This could be how the govt can control the internet through cyber terrorists. I personally can't see whey this tech could move so fast and yet energy saving tech is always in R&D, theres too many ways to missuse this tech.

It better have great bandwidth filters and surge fiters, otherwise noise will get in.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I believe that some while ago, George Bush made a comment about bringing affordable broadband internet to the masses, even in rural areas and everyone including myself was left scratching our heads.

Then I heard about a trial run in Ohio, just a few months ago and already we have FCC approval. I think this is as exciting as anything I have heard lately.

Revolutionary is what I call it.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

just wanted to say that I think it is really a bad deal that this has gotten through the FCC as the transmission protocol that is used for transmission and reception is so broad banded that it is likely to affect your television your AM radio your FM radio even cell phones. Having worked on a beta form of this in Austin TX sometime back I can assure you that everyone will have at least one of these problems, this is so broadbanded it goes from DC frequencies to daylight if you know what that means you get the drift if not then, it means the frequencies used are from the very bottm of the radio spectrum to the very top of the radio frequency spectrum. Well don't mean to rant but I sure hope since I was involved the process has improved.

geo

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Geo it is the FCCs job to make sure things like that do not happen.

If this means that I can get broadband internet in farmtown USA with only a noisy phoneline that limits by connection to 24.0 Kbps then I'm all for it.

But I wonder how long they will figure out how to get around the inteference. I mean 56k modems cannot even connect at more than 53k due to inteference problems.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
OK, cool idea. What about the millions of homes made with 2 prong wiring? My house was built in the 50's. A lot of the homes especially in the country are like mine where the wiring doesn't have a ground so to speak, just a black and white wire, no green. Would it work on my house?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
geocom,

I am interested in hearing more about the test you were involved in. I am for the broadband over power lines, because of the possibilities that it represent. But would not want it to go thru if it was going to cause problems. No offence, but I do think that your post was kind of a rant. Not because you oppose it, but because you provide no facts/links/data to back up your claims.

There are real concerns with interference, but like Thatoneguy posted. It is the FCC job to keep this to a minimum. Are you aware that testing has been going on country wide for some time now with few complaints? Are you aware that this is already functioning in Europe and other areas of the world, and the issues that you claim are not an issue there?

In researching your claim I found some good information and real facts about this, posted guess where? On the National Association of Radio Amatures web site!
Amateur Radio Link
The article they site is:
New Information on power line broadband interference

TexasConspiracyNut
I am not an expert, just an interested news reader, but I think the answer is yes. I will look for confirmation for you.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
No I totally agree that it is the F.C.C's job to study this but I would also like to mention that I am FCC licensed for Commercial and Amateur Radio
The Amateur Radio side well that is just a hobby however General Radio Telephone license allows me to work on long haul systems for quest MCI AT&T and I have even worked with the Total Army communications program
for long haul path engineering and the effects of electromagnetic interferance from household products such as microwaves Cordless phones and so on and so forth. as far as the tests I worked on for BPL it was with Texas Power and light about 2 years ago it was based around electromagnetic interference and to their credit it was a how to reduce the by products study, I am not totally against it I just would like to see more test results than I have, as a lot of this stuff comes down to how much $$ you have in the lobby, A lot of the test results from the F.C.C. and many of the power companies interested can be found at the F.C.C. site feel free to check it out. you might have to educate yourself slightly to understand the results as they are based on units of measurement that are not usually used by someone not in the industry such as sinads, noise floors, an so on.

On a positive note BPL is very fast and like someone mentioned before it already has infrastructure pretty much everywhere.

geo

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
geo,

I must thank you for the additional info. I am especially glad to see your very impressive credintials as I see a lot of conflicting information floating out there about this. It is good to hear from someone in this type of industry so that we here can get some of the real inside scoop. Thank you!

I also must 100% agree that the lobbyists should not have the influence that they have, as it only represents the interests of the company profits, not individuals. So bravo for pointing that out.

In all fairness, I must note to the readers that the company's that you mention are the same company's that are lobbying hard on the side of stopping this new technology, as they know if it gets a good foothold on broadband, and provides telephany service, it will reduce their profits. Not because it causes radio interference.

Also, I must acknowledge that I would have to educate myself. Those FCC test results you pointed us to are well beyond me. Perhaps you could brief us on some of the issues and help us deny ignorance? I have seen a lot of complaints on amateur radio interference, but you mention cell phones, FM radio, etc. What is up with that?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
It won't be around long folks, the future is wireless. Imagine towers (like for cellphones) except wireless internet. Wired is not going to be around long, ask anyone who hasa good wireless internet router. As soon as the technology comes (my est. 10 years) we'll all have wireless internet ISPs.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I've been following this as you have. One of the main problems are the prices associated with high speed access. They are completely ridiculous. I will not use a dial up connection as it is too slow, but the prices they are charging us for high speed are way out of control. I'm looking forward to this happening so that prices for high speed access lower. I'm looking forward to telling my high speed company to literally stick it up their A-ss.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well, not thaaaat revolutionary. Available in Germany since more than a year and tested since 2 or 3 years here.

The experience here is that there is no market for it.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

It won't be around long folks, the future is wireless. Imagine towers (like for cellphones) except wireless internet. Wired is not going to be around long, ask anyone who hasa good wireless internet router. As soon as the technology comes (my est. 10 years) we'll all have wireless internet ISPs.

Wireless Broadband is available in my area.

DSL is limited in my area.

If you want faster and more reliable service than dialup, ISDN, or Cable then signup for WIS. WIS provides High Speed Internet for your home or business up to several hundred times faster than a dialup modem. WIS can be provided to locations that are out of reach of DSL or Cable.

What turns me away is the $300 setup fee. An extra hundred if you dont want to install it yourself (though I'm sure I could figure out how to instal lit) .Here is the price list

Basic-64 - $29.95/mo (64k up 64k down)

Basic-128 - $39.95/mo (128k up 128k down)
Basic - $49.95/mo (128k up 128k-384k down)
Basic+ - $69.95/mo (256k up 128k-768k down)
Premium - $199.95/mo (384k up 384k down)
Premium+ - $399.95/mo (384k up 384k-1meg down)

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I thought I would post a follow up.

It has begun. Whoop Whoop.

Broadband Over Power Lines Debuts in D.C. Suburb

MANASSAS, Va. -- Just one year after the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved rules for the deployment of broadband over power lines (BPL), the technology made its commercial debut in this Washington suburb.

"We have accomplished something here that will be a model for other cities and towns across the United States," a beaming Manassas Mayor Douglas Waldron proclaimed.

In a public-private partnership with Communications Technologies (ComTek) that Waldron said cost his taxpayers "not a penny," the city is now offering a $30-per-month broadband service through its electrical grid. Both Comcast and Verizon already offer broadband in Manassas.

With speeds that rival DSL and cable modems, the service is available to all 12,500 households and 2,500 businesses in Manassas. With the city receiving a share of every subscription to the service, Waldron said Manassas currently has 700 paying customers with another 500 signed up.

Reference

Bout time eh?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Rural Broadband may not be that far away. Not that it would effect me that much just it's nice that the slowliners will finally be getting an upgrade!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I like the idea of broadband over power line, but do I really want the gas and electric company to monitor me this closely?

Monday February 6, 2:00 PM EST
CenterPoint Energy & IBM will roll out broadband-over-powerline 44,500 Houston Electric customers. They are testing what they call an intelligent grid. It has applications built into it for the gas and electrical company to be able to read your meter remotely.

Houston Electric's program will involve 44,500 electric customers, 22,500 of whom are also natural gas customers of CenterPoint. CenterPoint will decide whether to expand the program after this year's program.

TXU Corp. and Current Communications Group will offer high-speed Internet access over power lines to about 2 million homes and businesses, as well as the utility applications CenterPoint and IBM are rolling out.

The CenterPoint-IBM program centers on three core applications (meter reading, connections, outage management), and there are at least a half dozen more including equipment trouble-shooting on main power lines to substations and to individual homes, Blair said.

In Houston, meters will have a transmitter that will send information to receivers on utility poles hooked into the BPL network. Meters can be remotely read on demand.

Cente rPoint, IBM roll out smart grid in Houston

Anyway, IBM says that BPL revenue will go to $4.4 billion by 2011 Wow.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
if this is a good idea in the use of emfs somebody give me a slap.health hazzards of the use of emfs in hydro lines could cause problems.sombody within a hospitial hook up to a machince of life support could not the machine malfunction from emf.you bet ya.to me the use of emf technology at best is a hit or miss.to harness it is messing with radio spectrum and our dna.lots of info on people who live under large power lines with health problems.think about a technolgy that uses magnetic fields.it does not take alot of examples.i dont lessen the fact that internet has a good use for public or govenment.this needs attention and major study before tossed into the system without care.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join