It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how healthy do you eat? access to good food?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
this is regarding everything from fast food intake to access to organic food.
for me it varies quite a bit.
i'm on the road most of the time, so when in the land of stores like trader joes i tend to stock up as much as possible.
at times when i'm in rural areas the access to good food is very limited.
i can find myself eating far to much in the way of prepared foods.
i've avoided fast food for years, yet when no good produce is available there is not much of a choice.
i've always been jealous of people able to grow their own crops and produce their own, but due to factors it's nothing i'm able to do.
i'm wondering mostly whether or not people have continual access to the types of food they want.
is organic and other stuff like herbal remedies available?
do you even have a choice? are you locked into one particular chain grocery store?
etc....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
this is regarding everything from fast food intake to access to organic food.
for me it varies quite a bit.
i'm on the road most of the time, so when in the land of stores like trader joes i tend to stock up as much as possible.
at times when i'm in rural areas the access to good food is very limited.
i can find myself eating far to much in the way of prepared foods.
i've avoided fast food for years, yet when no good produce is available there is not much of a choice.
i've always been jealous of people able to grow their own crops and produce their own, but due to factors it's nothing i'm able to do.
i'm wondering mostly whether or not people have continual access to the types of food they want.
is organic and other stuff like herbal remedies available?
do you even have a choice? are you locked into one particular chain grocery store?
etc....

For the most part i get whatever foods i want. Now, i do have issues getting some things, like escarole (i am a bitter green fanatic). But i can drive 30 miles to a larger store and get access to literally everything, up to and including Kobe beef (difficult to get in Texas short of mail order) and sea bass (you can only get it through mail order in West Texas, unless you go to the HEB in Midland). I also get great access to Mexican ingredients that most of you have likely never heard of. I even get Hatch chile's on my plate the same day they are harvested, if I so choose.

While on the road i stay in extended stay hotels, so that i can cook evening meals. I plan my week out and carry a cooler. Each night i cook supper, and repurpose left overs for breakfast. Typically it would be something like seared scallops with creamed spinach, and other single skillet type meals.

It isn't hard to eat right. It is a little more labor intensive. But what else are you gonna do, especially while on the road? Sit on your butt and watch The Voice?

Most often, while cooking, i Skype with the wife and kids. It is efficient use of my time, and they get a little extra interaction beyond just a phone call.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Aquaponics is the way to go:

FREE food forever!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The worst thing I eat is probably ramen noodles. don't have a huge budget for fruits and veggies and for $3 I can get dinner for 6 nights with the noodles. Although I try to add stuff like onion, garlic, and tomato when I have it.

Rarely drink anything other than water, milk tea and sometimes beer.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I bounce back and forth from super awesome diet to ...fast food

my last bout of fast food coincided with a heavy drinking spell...it lasted for a month...and my liver is HURTING now

so it's back to super awesome diet, and 6X a week cardio at an ~500kCal deficit daily. I should have this belly flat and liver in healthy condition within 6 months...

super awesome means:

fruit
veggies
lean meats
brown rice
tea
water
oatmeal
local honey
tons of spices

NO:

high fat foods
fast food
energy drinks
fruit juice
soda
candy
artificial practically anything
gmo anything
white flour/pasta/rice

So I make meals in the evening and store them in the fridge ready to go. Usually is easy: veggie soup with either lean meat 95% farm raised, else farm raised turkey. every morning I start off with oatmeal, honey, and organic cinnamon.

I drink about two liters of green and black tea each day to speed up metabolism and increase focus, plus an additional liter or two of triple stage filtered water.

I absolutely love me some spices. cinnamon is awesome for the high carb meal in the morning. keeps insulin and blood sugar levels in check for such a high dose of carbs. For my soups, I'm usually heavy with turmeric, and ginger. Onions and garlic are pretty much always used with my meals.

edit on 18-9-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

top topics

join