It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English! Why isn't it official language??? Should it be?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I am confused as to why English is not the official language of the United States. Most countries have official languages, why don't we? Wouldn't it make more sense for the UNITED States of America to be UNITED by a language?

What's the hold up on this and will it ever happen?

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Americans don't really speak "proper" English.

Although it is VERY similar, I think American should be a language in its own right.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There are many areas in America where nobody speaks english. Some schools are demanding that children should be taught their first language at school.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
if English were to be made the official language then it can be the only language used on documents, forms, etc.....things like hospital forms would have to be in English only which isn't good for the millions in this country that cannot speak it

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

if English were to be made the official language then it can be the only language used on documents, forms, etc.....things like hospital forms would have to be in English only which isn't good for the millions in this country that cannot speak it

That doesn't make sense. English is the official language in many states and yet those states still have documents in multiple languages. And what would be wrong on insisting that people learn to speak English?

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
One of the reasons English is not the national language just the spoken language of US is because we have an assortment of different people from different nations that wants to preserve the language of birth at home.

Many have tried to pass the English as national language but with no success.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think it's desirable to make English official language
and use it exclusively, in legal matters, forms etc.
The reason "many people in this country don't speak
English" is exactly because they can get away with it.
This is wrong.

Make English mandatory.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One of the reasons English is not the national language just the spoken language of US is because we have an assortment of different people from different nations that wants to preserve the language of birth at home.

I hadn't really considered that, but you are right.

I really do not know if ANY language should be the "Norm". I mean really, native american languages are the original language, but unfortunately there aren't many natives left.

Also, the colonisation took place with people many differnet languages.

Does anybody know which language is used most in the USA?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

English.

Everything centered around our Government, economy, shopping, etc. has always been in English. It has only been in the last 5 years that ATM machines, packaging, directions, etc. are now in Spanish and English. It used to be that when people moved here from a foreign country they were forced to learn the language so that they could adapt. Now we have catered to them and are printing things like Drivers License tests in 32 different languages. It makes no sense.

You have to admit that in order to have success in the U.S. you need to be able to speak and read English. Yes there might be some communities where Spanish is prevaliant or Vietnamese, but if those people want to acheive success outside of their communities they need to learn English.

I'm surprised more people are not upset that we have no official language.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

TextIn the early 1980s, again during a period of concern about new immigration, a movement arose that seeks the establishment of English as the nation's official language. The "English Only" movement promotes the enactment of legislation that restricts or prohibits the use of languages other than English by government agencies and, in some cases, by private businesses. The movement has met with some success, "English Only" laws having been passed in several states. And, for the first time in the nation's history, an English Language Amendment to the Constitution has been proposed.

We have "English Only" language in enforcement in various state, spanish and asian are the biggest majority groups but 96 percent of the population is fluent in English.

This is a very nice link about the English Only.

archive.aclu.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

That doesn't make sense. English is the official language in many states and yet those states still have documents in multiple languages. And what would be wrong on insisting that people learn to speak English?

So you want to make english the official language, but allow the gov to print documents in whatever langauge is needed, but at the same time want to require private citizens to learn english in schools?

Making a language the 'official' language only means printing government docs in that language.

In what States is it the official language?

There's really no need to make it the official language.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

In what States is it the official language?

California for one. We voted 74% in favor of making English the official language. However, the ACLU got involved and deemed it unconstitutional.

Here is a link that has additional States.

www.usconstitution.net...

According to U.S. English, the following states have existing official language laws on their books: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming. A small handful date back more than a few decades, such as Louisiana (1811) and Nebraska (1920), but most official language statutes were passed since the 1970's.

Here is what it says regarding attempts made to make English the official language:

Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language.

Almost every session of Congress, an amendment to the Constitution is proposed in Congress to adopt English as the official language of the United States. Other efforts have attempted to take the easier route of changing the U.S. Code to make English the official language. As of this writing, the efforts have not been successful.

Here is the text of a proposed amendment. This particular bill was introduced in the House of Representatives as H.J. Res. 16 (107th Congress):

The English language shall be the official language of the United States. As the official language, the English language shall be used for all public acts including every order, resolution, vote, or election, and for all records and judicial proceedings of the Government of the United States and the governments of the several States.

It is a very interesting link. Check it out.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Take it from me, you don't want ANY language as your official language. Here in Canada, we have 2 official languages, English and French. It is a headache to say the least. I work for the federal government, and even though I don't speak french, my voice mail message HAS to be in both languages...how stupid is that?

Even if you just make English an official language, there will be an uproar in the non english speaking communities demanding they get services in their language. It's just not worth it.

More and more you must speak both languages if you want to be hired as a civil servant in this country.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hmmm, English should probally be an offical language. However has anyone ever thought of the implementations on if it was the BASIC language around the world. Maybe if this was to happen, then maybe t would be the first step in brining the countries closer together...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I work for the federal government, and even though I don't speak french, my voice mail message HAS to be in both languages...how stupid is that?

Almost all businesses here that answer with pre-recorded computers or whatever they are always say 'for English press one" and then in Spanish "Para Espanol, marke las trietas' or whatever it is. THAT is what is making me crazy. Nothing is just in English.

Oh, and by the way, if any of you use Sprint PCS and hear that recorded message, if you press the number for Spanish your wait time is only 3 minutes rather than 20 minutes and the person that answers DOES speak English so I would highly encourage you try it.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Jemison says:

"Everything centered around our Government, economy, shopping, etc. has always been in English. It has only been in the last 5 years that ATM machines, packaging, directions, etc. are now in Spanish and English. It used to be that when people moved here from a foreign country they were forced to learn the language so that they could adapt. Now we have catered to them and are printing things like Drivers License tests in 32 different languages. It makes no sense."

Au contraire
, it makes a lot of sense. I don't know about the government, but the banks, stores, and other private organizations are not so much interested in pushing a political agenda as they are in providing services to their customers.

Here in Mesa, a huge portion of our folks are Hispanics (probably a lot of them without papers, but that's a different post). These peeps are not going to choose a hardware store if it doesn't help them to find things like tools and furniture for the house when they're looking for "herramientos" and "muebles para el hogar".

And these same folks go to the store and they don't want Holsum bread, they want Bimbo -- el pan de Mexico! And they want to figure out what aisle it's on, and they under stand "frijoles", "mais", and "pan", better than they do "beans", "corn", and "bread".

I didn't learn a new language until I was in my forties; now I'm bilingual. All this stuff about "let 'em learn English" is like Marie Antoinette saying "let them eat cake". It's just not going to happen.

Cultures change, and the successful organisms, i.e., the survivors, adapt.

And now, on a personal note:

I once answered, on a survey that I took, the woman that I I most wanted to spend the weekend with (excluding my bride, of course, and assuming I was young(er)) was the incomparable Mae Jemison.

Are you by chance related to her, and if so, could you get me an autographed picture?

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

English.

I didn't ask the right question.

Does anyone know which language is most used, by choice, in the USA?

I mean verbaly, not written.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am sure that English is used on day-to-day conversation -- as well as it being the birth language -- or more people in the United States than any other language, and will probably stay that way for the next fifty years.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I know that 90+ % of this country, who pay there tax's speak english. The expense in trying to communicate in all languages is to much. Keep your faith, honor your heritage. But join the United States in communicating in one language. If I moved to France, IT would be disrespectful to not learn the language. Right

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
English should be the official language in the USA but when people try to do it the ACLU jumps on their back and bites them in the ear while screaming "RACIST WHITY." What is so racist of having an official language? It won't bother me pretty soon. I'm moving to Israel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join