It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a first, Indian tank brigades to defend China border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

In a first, Indian tank brigades to defend China border

www.business-standard.com

The army’s defences on the China border will get a major offensive boost with the impending deployment of two tank brigades, one each in Ladakh and north-east India. This is the first time that India will deploy armoured formations on the China border. Such formations, equipped with main battle tanks and BMP-II infantry combat vehicles, are traditionally used for striking into enemy territory.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
"The plan, cleared by MoD, involves raising 6 new armoured regiments, equipped with 348 tanks. In addition, 3 mechanised infantry battalions will be raised."

I don't know... Things are moving too fast for my taste.

As I write this, we have ongoing protests in the Middle East against US and Western embassies and consulates, with news of similar developments in Jakarta now. Then there are the China/Japan tensions, involving the Senkaku Islands,, with massive anti-Japanese protests in China, property destroyed, Japanese factories there suspending operations and so on. Now we have some very bold and some might say aggressive buildups along the Chinese border by India...

The whole planet seems to be on hair-trigger and it's feeling more precarious to me than it has in years. Lets hope cooler heads prevail... In India, China, and everywhere else, for that matter.

www.business-standard.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Defense budget of China is more than $100B and India's is roughly half of that. So in a decade, India will not be able to keep up with China in terms if military power. Do not know what percent of this $100B is spent on maintaining 2 Million men in PLA and what percent is for good equipment and training.

Their best bet is to follow the Israeli model which is very high training and combat effectiveness of men.

Having a much superior Air Force capabilities which can destroy valuable chunks of PLA's machines in first 48 hours of the hostilities.

Sophisticated interservices coordination between Army, Navy and Air Forces.

Making defense alliances with countries like Japan atleast.

Finally, nuclear deterrence should be used to maximum to avoid any war like situation.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by victor7

Problem is, when you have Nukes, you don't have to worry about much. Not to mention tactical nukes that will annihilate 3 square miles and barely leave a radiation print.

You may have 1000 highly mobile, armored, and armed tanks. Well, what are they going to do against Tactical Nukes that are made to take out battlefields instead of cities.

China probably has hundreds of tactical nukes. They are easy to make, and to deadly on the battlefield.

edit on 17-9-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
India being a good little american puppet state .... still they're no match for china ....

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

eh india is about the only nation on the planet that if the chips came down could go man for man with china. And can you imagine trying to lead an invasion through the hindu kush mountians. in the event of them going at it air lift and allies as well as any amphibious capiblity will be what decides that as the land route would be a massacre,not to mention that the west is on friendlyer terms with india then china and i see nato or at least the uk backing india in a skirmish just for traditions sake

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by Expat888

eh india is about the only nation on the planet that if the chips came down could go man for man with china. And can you imagine trying to lead an invasion through the hindu kush mountians. in the event of them going at it air lift and allies as well as any amphibious capiblity will be what decides that as the land route would be a massacre,not to mention that the west is on friendlyer terms with india then china and i see nato or at least the uk backing india in a skirmish just for traditions sake

havent forgot.. quite familiar with the terrain in the region ... but china maintains a much better trained and equipped army than india .. not to mention pakistan has no love for india and has relations with china ... india makes a move pakistan would most likely step in as well for the chance to settle some old scores ... the west is already overextending itself elsewhere most likely wouldnt be much help...
edit on 17/9/12 by Expat888 because: correcting translation..

edit on 17/9/12 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Once nukes are in the picture then all bets are off. War will be over in next 24-36 hours. I think any sane country would refrain from using even tactical nukes and not at all against a nuclear power.

new topics

top topics

join