It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Police Chase Causes Schools To Rethink Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A shooting suspect is causing private and public schools to rethink their security measures. Thursday 200 pupils were evacuated from Our Lady of Perpetual Help, a Catholic school, in Opa-locka Florida when the suspect, after a dangerous police chase, entered the school.

miami.com
A dangerous police chase that ended inside an Opa-locka elementary school full of dozens of students Thursday underscored a pressing need to re-examine security at public and private schools, education and security experts said.

A shooting suspect trying to escape police ran into Our Lady of Perpetual Help, a Catholic school at 13401 NW 28th Ave., on Thursday, forcing officers to evacuate about 200 middle school and preschool pupils.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One suspect was caught shortly after his entry into the school, and a second suspect was caught just outside the school. No one was injured during the incident, however security of schools is now being scrutinized.

Archdiocese of Miami spokeswoman Mary Ross Agosta claims that some schools do not have regular security guards. Most schools have one main entrance and guests are asked to check in at the front desk. Concern of fire issues has been brought up when the issue of keeping the doors locked was brought in.

Measures to keep some schools safe have been put into effect, for example, Pine Crest Prep school has 24 hour security, employee and student id tags, and closed circuit television, among other things.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Concern of fire issues has been brought up when the issue of keeping the doors locked was brought in.

A ridiculous excuse...I suppose they're unaware of doors that are locked when approaching from the outside, but unlocked when leaving from the inside? It's only been around for a century or so, so I can see how the church might be a little behind the times on this...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I agree, the schools in NC are terrible as far as security is concerned. You can walk right in and no one would even know you were there. I used to go pick up my son from kindergarten and the only one that knew I was there was his teacher. I didn't need a pass, no one said a word to me as I walked down the hall. Very sad.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It makes you think how safe your kids are on field trips. I mean, here 2 teachers to 20 or so kids on a field trip where there are other schools involved. How safe are our children? I try to chaperone as many as I can.

top topics

join