It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing plane crash survival photo-"running on air" illusion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It seems like the cartoons I used to watch as a kid would portray the characters trying to run really fast jumping up in the air and their feet would spin around really fast in the air as they ran away. But of course I thought that's silly, because you can't get any traction trying to run in the air, and of course I still think that.

But I ran across this plane crash photo where it looks like the man is running on the air just like I used to see in the cartoons...maybe it's an optical illusion or just a matter of timing, but I compliment the man on his excellent survival skills because whatever he's doing in this photo, and however he's doing it, he managed to survive the plane crash (I'm guessing that may be his truck it's crashing into?):

Plane Hits Truck, Guatemala, 1976

"Buffeted by crosswinds, a rescue plane crashes into a truck, while trying to land on a mountain highway near Sanarate. Miraculously no one suffered serious injury."
Does it look to anyone else like he's running in the air?

I'm guessing that's just an optical illusion?

If anyone can explain it, I'm a little curious, thanks.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
No, it looks like he jumped in the air, and the photo was taken at that time. It is impossible to run on air.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
well hes was having a bad day lol

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It looks to me like he jumped in the air, Fairly big jump though, Or maybe they were jumping out of the back of the truck when the plane hit with the force of it throwing them further away

I very much doubt that he is walking on air though.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

It's hard to get any significant traction in the air, but now that I think of it, don't long jumpers keep running in the air?

Example: World Record Long Jump of 8.95 metres

I'm not really sure why they keep running once they're in the air? Could it be to keep their balance or something? Because I agree, I don't see how it would make them go any faster.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
well hes was having a bad day lol
Yes but it could have been a lot worse day if his reflexes weren't as quick. He's a survivor!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Another case of would be Olympiad contestants

www.youtube.com...

Then there is the guy who dodged both a crashing truck and car coming from different directions at an American intersection, hop, skip and jump. It's on youtube somewhere! Have the yanks never heard about roundabouts?
edit on 15-9-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

join