It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Mesa Source released! Greatest game mod of all time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Little bit of heaven and off topic!

Black Mesa Source, possibly the greatest and most anticipated mod of all time, has been released today after eight years of community development, to accolades. Initial feedback is extremely positive and the levels of detail are amazing, especially considering the game is entirely free to play, based off an older engine, it still outdoes many modern release, paid titles.
For gamers who remember the impact that half life 1 made to the gaming community in 1999, now it has been completely remade by the fan community with some support from the original makers and ported to the source engine.

This is the intro tram run

Is this the next direction games can take? Fully open source?

Recorded this at 1440p maxed other than 4XMSAA so if you can take advantage of that resolution, run it above 1080 at 'original' resolution. I've been waiting eight years for it, so I'll see you all tomorrow when I come out of my gaming cocoon ;P

Enjoy the memories.

Download Link

edit on 15/9/12 by Phatdamage because: video working!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I remember buying black mesa for the original half-life, it was amazing! I'm a big fan of the source engine, very versatile, good looking and it's pretty conservative when it comes to resources! I also love what they did with the source engine for Team Fortress 2.

Certain developers realized that community sources are rather awesome and people work tirelessly in their spare time to create mods and whole new games based on the original engine. I definitely think this is the way forward. I love it when you buy a game and the developers already give you the tools required to produce mods etc from the word go and you don't have to wait for them to release it, if they release the SDK at all.

I'm not sure what the deal is with open source and legal issues, copyright etc though? I'm guessing making money off any mods etc is illegal? I guess I'd have to power my way through the license agreement that we all so love

Peace, gona get my arse on steam and get Black Mesa

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It truly takes my breath away seeing what humans and their guided desires are capable of. Then I read the newspaper.
Peace
edit on 15-9-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed
It truly takes my breath away seeing what humans and their guided desires are capable of. Then I read the newspaper.
Peace

Ahh, well you know what the problem is, don't you!

You shouldn't read the newspaper, should you! Ahha. that's right. Bad for you, fills your head with nonsense.

I used to read the newspaper once... fell into a coma.

Luckily, it was in a dream I never had in a memory I've long forgotten.

Now, as for this. I've never really been able to follow this thing. so many mods, engines, whatevers.. But every time I do play one, I get the same feeling "I've done this.. it's the same thing!!"

buffering the video clip now as youtube seems to be only giving me 5 seconds chunks to watch before telling me to wait 10 seconds.

I guess I have to work out the difference between these mods and just map creation and skinning.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by HamrHeed
Peace

Ahh, well you know what the problem is, don't you!

You shouldn't read the newspaper, should you! Ahha. that's right. Bad for you, fills your head with nonsense.

I used to read the newspaper once... fell into a coma.

Luckily, it was in a dream I never had in a memory I've long forgotten.

Now, as for this. I've never really been able to follow this thing. so many mods, engines, whatevers.. But every time I do play one, I get the same feeling "I've done this.. it's the same thing!!"

buffering the video clip now as youtube seems to be only giving me 5 seconds chunks to watch before telling me to wait 10 seconds.

I guess I have to work out the difference between these mods and just map creation and skinning.

Of course! Todays newspapers are just yesterdays, recycled. I think stained toilet paper has made it into the process.

on topic: I guess those pictures won't do the truth any justice. We'll have to see when it hits the mainstream.
All they can do really, at this point, is merge reality with the game machine somehow. Kind of like google earth and how they connect the two planes together, however unseamlessly.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
My god I had given up waiting for Black Mesa Source. This is great news! I probably wouldn't have stumbled across it without your thread, thank you

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
NOW I just have to figure out how to suck 3.8GB setup through a 500kb/s 3G connection.... ARRRRRG bad sprint fix my 4G! It should look amazing on my NVIDIA SLI GTX260 setup on max settings... I remember playing HL1 on a 4 MB video card LOL! A remarkable 3D engine. Makes me wish others had spent more time on the new DUKE NUKEM... Which was still fun to play with awesome visuals. And now XCOM: Enemy unknown comes out on NOV 9th!! JEEZ We only have till December to play them if the world ends (ROFL)

Oh an BTW I use newspaper for packing material these days
If i want fiction I can go to the library.... OR play a game. LOL!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
ERMAHGERD!!!!

Lys dl this over the innardweb now!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
ERMAHGERD!!!!

Lys dl this over the innardweb now!

Come again?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

sorry had a nostalgistic-fit

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

It has been years since I paid attention to this project, I had completely forgotten about it.

Thanks you so much for bringing it's release to my attention, s&f.

Had Half-Life the day it came out on PC, and it stole my life for years to come with the expansions, counter-strike, and TFC. Such a memorable game even to this day, i can not wait to try this puppy out.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I'll play it.

I played the crap out of the original Half Life when it first came out and all the follow on mods both retail and free back in the day.

Apposing Force
Blue Shift

TFC,
Blue Ice
Counter Strike
Day of Defeat

Etc

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Finally...
OH MY GAAAAD

top topics