It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: UK Bankers Face Enron Extradition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Three UK NatWest bankers involved in deals with bankrupt firm Enron are facing extradition to the US on fraud charges. A High Court Judge ruled extradition proceedings could commence and the decision now lies with Home Secretary David Blunkett.

news.bbc.co.uk
A judge has ruled that three British bankers can be extradited to the United States to face fraud charges.

They worked for NatWest, and were involved in a complicated deal with the failed American energy company, Enron, which made them several million pounds.

The men insist they did nothing illegal - and that if they"re to be tried, the case should be heard in the UK rather the US.

The three men have said they will appeal against the decision.

The case will now go to the Home Secretary who will decide whether the men should be extradited.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don"t have much sympathy for these guys but the interesting thing about this case is that the law they can be extradited under is a law introduced in January designed to speed up the extradition of terrorists. These guys aren�t terrorists.

Incidentally, from the link:

Under the act there is no requirement for American authorities to present a prima facie case - although UK authorities must do so in seeking extraditions from the US

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yeah the american expect them to stand trial over there but consistantly refuse to let Americans be tried else where.

Also the real culprit, KEN LAY, is still at large and is laughing!

Justice... yeah right!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I thought he was sentenced to like 200 years in prison?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
As far as I could find, Ken Lay is yet to be given any sentence (and most likely never will in the US). The people resonsible for the entire Enron fiasco are petty criminals who utilized backdoor mafia tactics. Remember Goodfellas? Sell everything out the back door and when everything is gone, burn the place down. These men need to be tried and punished in any country where their greed has harmed people.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is very ironic from a historical perspective. Why only a mere 230 years ago it was the British that could be extradition for almost any crime, to their home country. The whole Revolution started because the British were imposing draconian laws, like unfair extradition.

Some may ask what does the past have to do with the future? It�s the only basis of sound assumption we can make when predicting the future. I�m not suggesting that Britain will �revolt,� but that things will continue to sour. See this poll at story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041015/ap_on_re_eu/views_of_america

Every demand we make across the world causes severe collateral damage among American friendlies.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
Yeah the american expect them to stand trial over there but consistantly refuse to let Americans be tried else where.

Justice... yeah right!

I agree with you international laws apply to all other countries but US.

top topics

join