It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treasure in Kythnos sanctum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
On one of the least developed Cycladic islands, archaeologists have hit on one of the most coveted prizes of Greek archaeology � the unplundered inner sanctum of an ancient temple replete with offerings in precious metals and luxurious pottery items.

The sanctum, called adyton by the ancient Greeks, was forbidden to all but the priests of the temple and contained sacred statues of the divinity as well as offerings brought by worshippers. These could include precious jewels, gifts donated by dignitaries to enhance their own prestige and spoils of war.

A team led by University of Thessaly Associate Professor of archaeology Alexandros Mazarakis-Ainian discovered the treasure chamber in a ruined temple of a female divinity at Vriokastro on Kythnos, on the western fringe of the archipelago.

The opulence is impressive: finds which, dated mostly from the seventh to the fifth centuries BC � thus defining the life span of the temple � included 70 golden artifacts, 150 in silver, 450 in bronze, 70 terracotta figurines, 50 intact and many smashed vases. The majority of the pottery was painted, and some pieces have been linked to master painters.

Article Link

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Deep, Keep posting the awesome stories and links.

I know that I haven't posted a lot of relplies yet, but rest assured that I read each and everyone of the Mysterious, Ancient, and Lost Civilizations forum. This is my passion, what I spend as much time as possible researching. Eventually I will begin posting some too.
But I just wanted to write and tell you and all of the others who are posting, to keep up the GREAT work, and most importantly, Thanks.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a fascinating topic. While the "hoard" is obviously relatively late, there is any amount of material on the numerous intriguing discoveries - largely of the Neolithic era when, as it appears, metal-work began in what we think of as the Greek world - in the Cyclades. They're well worth the research if only for the possibility that so much of the fable and fantasy of Homer may reflect what happened, long before, on these scattered islands.
It remains a pity that so much of the best work is still only accessible in print, in journals and scholarly publications and so relatively little is on the Net.
But a search on say "prehistoric archaelogy Cyclades" should turn up some nuggets amid the dross.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Posters wondering about "adyton" may find they need to search carefully for this or the Latin equivalent "adytum".
It means only: "not to be entered". Anything beyond that: "holy of holies", "inner sanctum" etc. is always to some extent speculative.
It is interesting that the Classical Greeks frequently used this to refer willy-nilly to sites of pre-Greek (chthonic, of the soil) religions. Rather as we might simply say "taboo" without any clear knowledge of how? what? why?
Raising the suspicion that much of the pre-Greek time was as lost to them as it is at present to us.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I say carefully because the name has frequently been appropriated by the benighted hordes of Drivelsville and Loony Land. Search with "Archaeology" or "prehellenic", or some such.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
You sure know your stuff!

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Estragon blushes, as ever, deep-W; but I hall repeat that: for any posters with a soft spot for Homer: deep-W's posting is a gateway.
These ancient poems are ancient ATS-postings: "what are those stones, and pieces of metal?"
If there's anything more relevant than archaeology, Estragon awaits the news.

new topics

top topics

join