It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq - Abrams destroyed by Palestinian anti tank mine trap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
These pictures had been removed from several websites at the request of the US military. The IED was actually 3 anti-tank mines place on top of each other - similar to what the Palestinians have used against israeli armor.

Military spokesmen in Washington and Baghdad said it was the first time the army's main battle tank had been disabled by a roadside explosion since Iraqi opposition forces have begun targeting US convoys and patrols with so-called improvised explosive devices.

A US defense official, who asked not to be identified, said an improvised explosive device detonated as the tank rolled over it.

The force of the blast caused the behemoth to roll over an embankment, which is what killed and injured those inside, the official said.

The 4th Infantry Division has the latest model of the tank, the M1A2 SEP, which weighs 69.5 tonnes, is armed with a 120mm main cannon and is equipped for digitized communications.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It proves you can kill an M1...but the trick is killing the other 300 odd roaming about....THAT can get you killed.

Any tank can be killed

Its a matter of can you do it repeatedly without getting killed or them developing a counter.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by craigandrew
It proves you can kill an M1...but the trick is killing the other 300 odd roaming about....THAT can get you killed.

Any tank can be killed

Its a matter of can you do it repeatedly without getting killed or them developing a counter.

Isnt that the truth! 300 more of them....

I think that tanks are a bit of an overkill but it is still the best armored vehicle, maybe stop taking the roads?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
3 anti-tank mines place on top of each other
I hope that will blow up a tank or there not real anti tanks mines. I think a blast like that would have destroyed any tank on the planet.

With a big enough bomb you can blow up anything nothing is invincible.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
3 anti-tank mines place on top of each other
I hope that will blow up a tank or there not real anti tanks mines. I think a blast like that would have destroyed any tank on the planet.

With a big enough bomb you can blow up anything nothing is invincible.

It seems lucky for the US that more of these IED haven't been used. I couldn't imagine what this would do to an M2 let alone a Hummer. There must be thousands of these mines out there.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
one more point to the Iraqi ressitance

[edit on 15-10-2004 by bodrul]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Okay so someone learned how to kill something that's hard to kill why is the military so worried about that over history the US military has lost quote the best most advanced war machines end quote time and time again its like the unsinkable Titanic if man made it it can be unmade by mans ignorance in believing its indestructable

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
What a mess. I think at times people can think themselves invincible. It scares me how some people drive cars, its like they think they are in a protective bubble.

So I can only imagine how powerful being in a tank makes one feel. I am not saying the tank occupants were not acting to the best of their training, but so much care must be taken in modern combat.

As much as I disagree with this "war", I want to see as few people killed whether they be Iraqis, Americans or any of the people taking part in this.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
that is a good point dont forget the lives lost in the face of the undistructible being destroyed who cares a tank was blown up what about the lives inside why even mention the tank in this manor its like someones priorities are off

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Tank crews are not trained to think their tanks are invincible. Quite the opposite a Tank crew knows better then anyone eles the dangers a tank can face in a combat zone.

Just because some civilains may think the M1A1 is invincible dont mean squat to the tank crews.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
hey gents i have had these pics for a while, and have been a tank crewman for over 7 years. i dont know where these guys got this info but, that tank was not killed by a anti tank mine. the mines dont blow turrets off. the rest of the tanks hull is in too good condition. that is just a fact. no tank is unkillable but the reports i get from the feild do not jive with this report at all. even russias best anti-tank mines arnt going to make the tank look like that. there are plenty of other things that will but not mines.
plus the report sited on the link said it killed 2 crewmen in this photo all would have died. we do know what is killing tanks. and it ant mines. mine only stop tanks injure crews not this kinda thing. i would be interested to know were he got those pics. its funny he has just the ones we printed.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by black6]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I heard that about 80 kg of remotely detonated C4 blew up the Merkava (also due to secondary explosions of its own ammo), maybe some more was used for the attack on the M1.

Shocked millitary sources at that time were quick to estimate that at least 500-1000 kg of explosives or an elobarate stack of magnetic mines with hollow charges was used, as trying to stop other people getting ideas about blowing up their invincible toys

I bet Teheran is already lining the countryside with roadsidebombs anticipation of a foreign invasion to defuse their "peacefull" nuclear program....

Seriously, tank crews should consider hanging a cage with a rat from the end of the barrel , sniffing the road in front of them....

news.bbc.co.uk...

Kind of a good-luck mascotte

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

new topics

top topics

join