It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Shells From Syria Fired at Troops in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Mortars fired from the Syrian side of the border have increasingly targeted U.S. Marines patrolling the Iraqi border with Syria. It is unclear exactly who is firing the mortars, but Marines say they are definitely coming from the Syrian side of the border. A US delegation recently visited Syria to pressure officials there to step up security efforts on their side of the border.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
QAIM, Iraq -- American troops stationed along Iraq"s border with Syria are coming under increasing mortar attack from shells fired from Syrian territory, but it"s unclear who"s responsible, U.S. officers said Thursday.

The 82 mm mortar rounds have been fired at U.S. and Iraqi positions in and around Husaybah in the far west of Iraq"s Anbar province, said Lt. Col. Chris Woodbridge, commander of the 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment.

"Who exactly is firing these mortars, we do not know. But what we do know is that the point of origin of these rounds is on the Syrian side of the border," said Woodbridge, 39, of Brooklyn.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Syria"s unwillingness to make a stronger effort to secure their side of the border implies that they have nothing to lose, and everything to gain from allowing the cross border attacks and infiltration.

If the US is keep busy in Iraq, they may not be willing to expand the conflict into Syria. Since it has been rumored that there was a strong level of cooperation between Iraq and Syria before the war, they would probably rather the US did not pursue that level of cooperation.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don�t know AP, Associated Press I read some where or heard I don�t remember, that AP was a CIA out let?. Either way this sounds fishy to my conspiratorial mind and is in over drive here, sounds like a CIA plot to get the sheep back home to start waving their Chinese made American Flags. I find it hard to believe that Syria would seriously take the US on at this time I would think if they where to get involved they would wait until the US invades Iran. Oh well what do I know, God doesn�t speak to me.

[edit on 14/10/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Honestly, I doubt it was done by Syria.

The Syrian border to Iraq is about as porous as the US border to Mexico.

I personally think it was Iraqi/Iranian insurgents who just made their way over the border-gps is wonder for such things-and fired.

Would Syria know about it after it happened-YES. Would they actively do anything about it-NO. This gets Syria and insurgents the best of both worlds. Syria gets to help insurgents against American troops and claim innocence at doing anything.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Of course Syria isn't really firing mortars at US troops. They would have to be #ing insane to do so...you think they wanna end up like Iraq?

Its just more govt. propaganda so that our soon to occur, invasion of Syria (in the name of Israel mind you) doesn't look so bullyish.

Just looks like another reason for the US to use to invade Syria...to me at least.

EDIT: BTW- thanks for posting this thread...

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Teragon]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Wow, I'm having flashbacks. This is exactly like the situation in 'Nam where the Vietcong would hit Americans and then sink into Cambodia. Syria's to the west of Iraq just like Cambodia is west of 'Nam, and we're now in a guerilla conflict.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Oops I lost my daisy cutter...anyone seen it?

[edit on 15-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I think its the work of non-Iraqie insurgants and not the Syrian goverment. They have been pouring into Iraq since the war started. So I think a safe zone in another country would be ideal for cowards to fight from.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Teragon, I think you were on track in the begining and then swayed..

Of course Syria isn't really firing mortars at US troops. They would have to be #ing insane to do so...you think they wanna end up like Iraq?

I don't think Syria is behind it, but nor do I think they would prevent it. Syria is about as controlable as Palestine. There are many rogue groups and radicals that oppose the USA there. Though they could try to prevent this by putting troups along the border, it really isn't in their best interest. They will say that they will try to help prevent these occurences, but they won't really do it. They have many fighters within that country that could care less what the government of Syria says. Not only that, many Iraquis have fled across that border.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I agree Teragon, this seems like a pretext to go to war with Syria. Expect more such events to happen. US is taking us into a Third World War. People should take note, and not allow the US to dupe them again with the recycled trash of war against terrorism or liberation of the Syrian/Iranian people.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
I agree Teragon, this seems like a pretext to go to war to Syria. Expect more much events to happen. US is taking us into a Third World War. People should take note, and not allow the US to dupe them again with the recycled trash of war against terrorism or liberation of the Syrian/Iranian people.

Ah, of course...Syria is such a good place....no Syrians have ever tried to defect, and it is not a state that sponsors terrorism......

Actually terrorists and some of their allies are the ones bringing the whole world into WWIII, not the other way around...

Nizar Nayuf (Nayyouf-Nayyuf), a Syrian journalist who recently defected from Syria to Western Europe and is known for bravely challenging the Syrian regime, said in a letter Monday, January 5, to Dutch newspaper �De Telegraaf,� that he knows the three sites where Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) are kept. The storage places are:

Excerpted from.
www.2la.org...

Oh, and do check the other links found in the above link I provided....

*Waits for the now normal response from those liberals, democrats, and others who keep claiming all of this is made up by the US....since it is obvious to them that during the Clinton administration we were never attacked by Islamist terrorists....it must be the Republicans making all this fuss about terrorism according to them....and of course nowhere else in the world are terrorists threatening to attack or making/made any attacks.....*

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Ah, of course...Syria is such a good place....no Syrians have ever tried to defect, and it is not a state that sponsors terrorism......

Actually terrorists and some of their allies are the ones bringing the whole world into WWIII, not the other way around...

I suppose that is a good enough reason for you to support the next war. Let me guess, were you supporting the war against Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo and Indonesia too? I suppose you are also supporting the war against the people too?

Syria is definitely a rouge nation. However, it makes no bones about it. Meanwhile the US claims to be a land of free and the liberator of all, while it oppresses everyone at home and commits open genocide internationally?
indeed.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It might be from Syria considering Rumsfelt cut-off their pipeline to the oil in Iraq. That, I would think would make any country that had been doing business with Saddam a little pi$$y when their oil-suppy was cut off.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I agree Teragon, this seems like a pretext to go to war with Syria. Expect more such events to happen. US is taking us into a Third World War. People should take note, and not allow the US to dupe them again with the recycled trash of war against terrorism or liberation of the Syrian/Iranian people.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Indigo_Child]

No doubt you maybe correct in your thoughts, and I have no doubt that this administration is after something in/or that Syria might have that they want.

This so called "war on terror" is getting mighty old, that this Administration is trying to feed the citizens of the US and other countries. I've posted an "URL" that may or may not surprise some on this board, as to the real nature of this "War on terror" and Iraq.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
From what I've read, I'd agree that the Syrian Government isn't behind the shelling, but there are plenty of like-minded individuals to launch these attacks.

I think it's also true that the USA is making more of these attacks to stoke up anti-Syria feelings back home. After all, how much damage has been inflicted by a few pot shots from Syria compared to what's happening on the ground in Iraq?

I did see a documentary recently which talked about right-wing fasctions in the US wanting to f*** up the middle East and strengthen the US and Israeli position there.

The fastest way to do this is by war.

Now we have a 'war on terror' which is creating more terrorists and places to operate than there was before?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Why don't we pay Syria with cash and arms to go out there and check it out like we do with some of the surrounding countries? Ah that's right, they might use them against us. Tricky stuff.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I do not believe the Syrian government is sanctioning these attacks. I would be willing to bet if someone walked past a Syrian border guard carrying a mortar tube, and asked for help carrying the mortars, he would get it.

It's in Syria's best interest to keep the US busy. It is not in their best interest to keep the money and jihadists from flowing across the border.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I suppose that is a good enough reason for you to support the next war.

No, but being a rogue nation that has wmd, harbours and aids terrorists, Al Qaeda among them who make/made attacks against the US and other free nations is enough....But it is true that Syria is also a dictatorship that commits mass murders of Kurds, their own citizens.

What was it the president of the US said we were going to do? oh yes, we are going after not only the terrorists, but those who harbor them knowingly...

Syria is definitely a rouge nation. However, it makes no bones about it. Meanwhile the US claims to be a land of free and the liberator of all, while it oppresses everyone at home and commits open genocide internationally?
indeed.

In 1982, the Syrian government carried out mass murder against it�s own citizens, killing over 20,000 people in the Syrian city of Hama. Since 1976, Syria has occupied its neighbor to the west, Lebanon, viciously suppressing any sparks of freedom. Recently, Syria carried out a new massacre, murdering almost 100 Kurds and arresting thousands, in over a week of fighting.

According to Kurdish sources, the arrests and suppression are continuing. "Syrian authorities have not stopped their nighttime raids, arrests, and oppression of safe Kurds in their homes, continuing the policy of persecution against the Kurdish people," said Abdel Baki Youssef, leader of the Kurdish Yekiti Party.

Excerpted from.
home.cogeco.ca...

Perhaps you should look up what oppression means...

The US oppresses everyone at home? Really? Do you live in the US?

Tell me how the US has oppressed you, do give details please... I am really interested in this....

Do show me the hundreds or thousands of people in the US that are being killed by our government, as in genocide.... and i guess to you oppression in a country also means that you are able to spew all these lies about oppression in the US, without being sent to jail, or any other repercursion.... Perhaps you should inform yourself what happens to people in China, Cuba and in other countries/dictatorships/ if they talk and demonstrate against their governments....then perhaps you will have a better understanding what oppression is.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   

No, but being a rogue nation that has wmd, harbours and aids terrorists, Al Qaeda among them who make/made attacks against the US and other free nations is enough....

You really have no clue do you? America, free?
There are many on this site alone that will laugh at that too.

What was it the president of the US said we were going to do? oh yes, we are going after not only the terrorists, but those who harbor them knowingly

And you believe it without question? Somehow the war on terrorism turned into a war on Iraq. Which by the way was already planned before 9/11.

Perhaps you should look up what oppression means... The US oppresses everyone at home? Really?

Seattle
Miami
Portland
Oregon
Patriot Act II
Concentration camps
National ID card and micochipping
Police keeping forces

Do show me the hundreds or thousands of people in the US that are being killed by our government, as in genocide

Biological weapon testing on people
WACO
9/11

.... and i guess to you oppression in a country also means that you are able to spew all these lies about oppression in the US, without being sent to jail, or any other repercursion....

25 years in prison for protestors - Oregon law(pending?)
50,000 WTO protestors brutally attacked by the police - Seattle 1999 (More with Mimai, Portland and Oregon)
Probes against protestors
Police searches without warrants/police arrests without evidence
Free speech zones
High school students interrogated by FBI for anti-bush comments
School teacher arrested for Anti-Bush web site

That is not oppression? Oh right, they are dissenters, criminals, they deserve to be punished and beaten by police forces?

Perhaps you should inform yourself what happens to people in China, Cuba and in other countries/dictatorships/ if they talk and demonstrate against their governments....then perhaps you will have a better understanding what oppression is.

Don't you see, China and Cuba and other dictatorships, are not wrong, it's the demonstrators(sarcasm)

We should also not forget genocide and inhumane acts commited abroad:

Guantamono Bay
Hundreds of Afghanistan and Iraqi POW's and civilians tortued and humilated in prisons
10,000 Iraqi civilians dead in current war
200,000 Iraqi civilians dead in the first Gulf war
2,0000,000 Iraqi civilians dead from depleted uranium poisoning and sanctions
500,000-1,000,000 East Timorians dead after US backed Indonesian genocide
2,500,000 - 3,500,000 Vietnamise civilians killed in the Vietnam war. More molested, enslaved and beaten.
210,000 civilians killed with nuclear weapons in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, despite Japans willingness to surrender a month before.

There are countless cases of US terrorism and oppression of the world, that it could fill a book. In fact it has: www.doublestandards.org...

But of course we know, that in war, there is always collatoral damage, right?(more sarcasm)

Why do think there is so much hatred against America? America is an imperialist, draconian, evil empire, that has destroyed and subverted many weaker countries and is stained in the blood of millions of innocent people, using recycled trash like "war on terrorism", "war on drugs", "war for democracy" That American sheep buy again and again.

Oh and did you forget that it was US that backed the Taliban before. It was the US that backed Iraq before. It was the US that backed Osama Bin Laden before.

Free America? Really, the biggest joke of the century. Wake up, smell the American empire, and do something about your own freedom. Stop supporting more wars. It will take it's toll on you, your family and everything you cherish about your life?

[edit on 16-10-2004 by Indigo_Child]

top topics

join