It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and IRAQ ground forces move into Fallujah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Breaking news on CNN...Heavy fighting is reported in the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah. This comes after a stepping up of the air strikes in the city.

Details are very sketchy at this time.

More info from cnn...

www.cnn.com...

1st Lt. Lyle Gilbert, a spokesman for the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, said Marines, Army soldiers and Iraqi special forces were participating "in and near the city of Falluja."

The ground forces were being backed up by fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter gunships, he said.

"We've been looking forward to this for a long time," Gilbert said from from the U.S. base Camp Falluja.

"It's a long time in coming, and this operation is going to set the stage for Fallujans and for the Iraqi people to go out and elect their government and live in freedom and security as they deserve," he said.

[edit on 14-10-2004 by sensfan]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So I wonder if elections will be able to beheld there? Seems like that is where most of the violence is being reported.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Good question. But this is just one Iraq city full of insurgents ( I really don't like that word) who are battling US and Iraq forces. But like Rummy said, the elections will go ahead even if they can't be held in all parts of Iraq...some democracy eh? How would people in Florida like it if they just decided not to allow them to vote in the upcoming US election?

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
How would people in Florida like it if they just decided not to allow them to vote in the upcoming US election?

Probably about as cheated as they felt in 2000.

I just cant see a tru democratic society appearing in Iraq if its not safe enough for elections everywhere.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I agree with you Kidfinger. Perhaps these moves into insurgent strongholds are an attempt to secure the cities once and for all in time for the elections. If that's the case, is it a rushed desision? Time will tell.

top topics

join