It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Implantable chip prompts privacy concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Privacy advocates are concerned that an implantable microchip designed to help doctors tap into a patient's medical records could undermine confidentiality or could even be used to track the patient's movements.

"If privacy protections aren't built in at the outset, there could be harmful consequences for patients," said Emily Stewart, a policy analyst at the Health Privacy Project.

The Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday that Applied Digital Solutions of Delray Beach, Florida, could market the VeriChip, an implantable computer chip about the size of a grain of rice, for storing medical information.

With the pinch of a syringe, the microchip is inserted under the skin in a procedure that takes less than 20 minutes and requires no stitches. Silently and invisibly, the dormant chip stores a code that releases patient-specific information when a scanner passes over it.

www.cnn.com...

The VeriChip itself contains no medical records, just codes that can be scanned and revealed in a doctor's office or hospital. With that code, doctors can unlock part of a secure database that holds the patient's medical information, including allergies and prior treatment. The electronic database, not the chip, would be updated with each medical visit.

The microchips have already been implanted in 1 million pets. But the chip's possible use to track people's movements -- in addition to speeding delivery of medical information to emergency rooms -- has raised alarm.

ATSNN news article here :
www.atsnn.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I know I wanted want that crap jammed into me

it has NWO/conspiracy written all over it, literally

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm more concerned that this is the "beginning of the end" so to say. I just read about this story here:
www.comcast.net...

This is exactly what many people (either nutcase or sane) have been fearing. Books have been written about this very thing happening, and now...IT LOOKS LIKE IT REALLY WILL HAPPEN! If they can use this chip for storing medical information just imagine what "else" it can do

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hey Everybody,

THis thread already exists in the New World Order Forum. Please follow the link and post your comments and thoughts there. I will be closing this one down.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks
FredT

top topics

join