It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: France, Egypt want Iraq conference to study US troop deployment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
French President Jacques Chirac, and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak met over a working lunch in Chirac"s official palace to discuss an International conference on Iraq. One of the main points would be to examine the continued deployment of US-led troops there as part of a wide-ranging agenda. The Cairo gathering is to be attended by officials from Iraq and its neighbouring countries as well as the G8 group of industrialised nations, the United Nations , the Arab League and the Organisation of the Islamic Conference.

news.yahoo.com
Chirac and visiting Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak agreed that "all the questions to do with the future of Iraq" should be discussed at the conference to be held November 25 in Cairo, spokesman Jerome Bonnafont said after a meeting between the two leaders in Paris.

Those questions would include "the implementation of Resolution 1546," he said.

Bonnafont was referring to a UN Security Council text adopted in June which covered the transfer of sovereignty to an interim Iraqi administration and which stipulated that the mandate for the US-led forces in Iraq would be re-examined by the administration or by the council in June 2005.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

President Chirac has drawn criticism for not backing and being involved in "Operation Iraqi Freedom". France, and Germany as well, have stated that they will not send troops to Iraq no matter what the outcome of the US Presidential Election is.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Germany actually said to today that they'd send troops in if needed, in ten years or so. Something completely ludicrous.

Now that the hardest part is over and it is essentially a mop up job, albeit a very dangerous one, the so called allies want to be able to get in on the rebuilding process which should be rather lucrative.

I remember hearing Bush talk about "with us or without us" and to the victor go the spoils and those that weren't a part of the victory will see no spoils.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I wouldn't say that the job is exactly over. Conquering is easy. Keeping is not. The situation in Iraq is not quite peaceful - quite the opposite - and other countries are entitled to worry about Iraq becoming a lit match in the powder keg that is the Middle East.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I can't say that I blame the other countries for not wanting to send troops over. Why send their military over to get slaughtered in a war that has no justfication? I support our troops and will continue to do so however, I don't support this war or the reasons we invaded Iraq.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'm just wondering Why He is intrested in this. For someone who was not too concerned with helping in the War itself, he seems to be wanting to 'Mop it Up' so to speak.

new topics

top topics

join