It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Expat Businessmen Are Leaving China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Last month, Mark Kitto, a British businessman who built (and subsequently lost) an empire of English-language magazines in China, wrote a 4,000 word article for the UK's Prospect magazine explaining why, after 28 years, he was finally leaving China.

www.businessinsider.com...

Well now this is interesting. It seems some have had it with the way China does business. What the hell did they expect when doing business with a communist country? Did they expect them to operate the same as a capitalist country? I guess so...maybe these guy's are not so bright. Well in my opinion I don't want them back. As far as I am concerned they can take their business and stick it where the sun does not shine. Let small business come back and thrive....watch the economy turn around then keep the big guy's the hell out.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I think your comments say more about yourself, than Mark Kitto. No where did he mention that communism was an issue. If you inferred that, then you inferred wrongly. He his not Chinese, and never will be, therefore, he should only have invested what he is prepared to lose.

It is a common story in East Asia, and probably in many developing countries -- the local partner gaining control of joint ventures. He thought it wouldn't happen to him, but it did, and it does.

He should suck it up and move on, he is just bitter.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Did you see in my post that you say you read that I said it is my opinion? Yes I think many went there thinking their Chinese partners would operate like western business. Communist nations do not operate the same...That is what I said. Do you know what the term Expat means? It does not mean they are Chinese. I never even said that. Where are you getting that from. It seems clear that you did not read any of this.

edit on 9/7/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I was just talking to my uncle the other day who is involved in some business dealings in Beijing. He said it is becoming increasingly apparent that the Chinese aren't interested in working with foreign businesses on equal footing, but rather that they are more interested in using foreigners to figure out how we operate. They will then steal our ideas and not compensate their partners as they should.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by killuminati2012

Thats right our company is moving back to the US at a slow but steady pace. A billion dollars invested here this year alone that didn't go to China

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

Yep I think we may be seeing more and more of that. In the long run it seems that some of these large coorps may be learning a valuable lesson from this. I still think we should push for a resurgence in small business again. That could be ultimately what may save our economy in the long run. The government should be pushing this idea more.

top topics

join