It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Healthcare questions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
And i've got a few bills... But guess what, I got taken care of promptly, I thought I had breast cancer, I got in for an ultrasound asap. I went for a obgyn check up and everything was fine, I get billed but guess what, i'd rather pay then wait along time, worry, and start thinking it's cancerous ect....

Well thats great! Wouldn't have to wait for those exams in Canada either.
Well unless you consider the time spent between making the phone call to the doctor and showing up a few days later. I also love being able to get a flu shot

[edit on 14-10-2004 by Wask]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In Qu�bec, a lot of person are at the emergency in the halls and they wait for hours and hours....
Usually, we get good care for hospitals, DEPENDING what is your disease. We don't have a lot of high tech equipement...
Concerning taxes, well it's expensive...the richest give half their money to both gov. And we have TPS TVQ (prov and fed taxes) for everything we buy at the store, that is 15%...so we actually pay for healthcare. A lot of people would like to get healtcare private, just like in the US...or have both public and private...what is the best??? I don't know, but U.S and Canada are not the same in a lot of levels

Amelia

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
See, the big difference is how much we pay. If you have a debilhitating or chronic disease in the states, you've got troubles. You have to pay lots, regularly. At least up here, other help you shoulder the burden, right?

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
DeusEx

My concerns are similar. I can afford to see the doctor for strep throat, but If my appendix burst, start diggin me a hole, cause I cant pay for it.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
DeusEx

My concerns are similar. I can afford to see the doctor for strep throat, but If my appendix burst, start diggin me a hole, cause I cant pay for it.

For an appendix?

See that's where the systems are different.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

DeusEx

Any emergancy room will see you for that it is against the law to turn away someone with a life threating problem.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Amuk,
Yea, I could have the surgery done and they would have to bill me for it, but it would probably cost me about $20,000 once its all said and done.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Any emergancy room will see you for that it is against the law to turn away someone with a life threating problem.

Don't suppose its illegal to charge them for services rendered, though?

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Amuk,
Yea, I could have the surgery done and they would have to bill me for it, but it would probably cost me about $20,000 once its all said and done.

More than that I just went through it myself, but at least I had ins.

Having them do the surgary and being billed for it is not the same as being turned away. At least you are alive to file Bankruptcy.....LOL

The way you stated it was if your apendex burst you would just have to die and that is not true.

You can fight over the bill later

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Don't suppose its illegal to charge them for services rendered, though?

DE

Why should it be?

Dont you get paid for your job?

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Having them do the surgary and being billed for it is not the same as being turned away. At least you are alive to file Bankruptcy.....LOL

The way you stated it was if your apendex burst you would just have to die and that is not true.

You can fight over the bill later

Agreed, but Id be poor forever

link   
As a student, if I got smacked in your country, my life would be soooo screwed. How could I pay for college? What, walk around McDonalds with my IV sac?

DE

link   

Beats being DEAD FOREVER

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Beats being DEAD FOREVER

Dead forever trumps McDonald's forever. Death wins.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Most of the time if you are low income or poor medicaid will do what they call a spin down that will pay your bill. Thats how I am getting the rest of mine paid (what ins wouldnt cover)

So NO you wouldnt have to go to Mcs with your IV.

VERY few people in the USA get NO treatment and most of that is through ignorance of what is out there

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

Dead forever trumps McDonald's forever. Death wins.

DE

I would ask if they want fries with that with a smile on my face.

I dont know where you have been or how old you are but I have witnessed Death in many horrible ways and to say you would rather die than work at Mcs is a load of BS.

Death is forever, Mcs is till you find another job

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I would ask if they want fries with that with a smile on my face.

I dont know where you have been or how old you are but I have witnessed Death in many horrible ways and to say you would rather die than work at Mcs is a load of BS.

Death is forever, Mcs is till you find another job

That's true Amuk, but I have a really black, morbid kind of humor. What I was trying to express was that my quality of life would be extremely poor. As a college student (19), if I got hit by a bus, it would take a solid decade or more for me to get back on my feet. There would be recovery, then the payment of my huge bill. Seeing as most of my qualifications more from Wendy's and tim Hortons, the odds of me finding a well-paying job would be few. No money, no schooling. No schooling means a harder time of life.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
clinton had proposed a plan for a government controlled healthcare. the irony is that if had passed he would stiil be waiting in the hospital for heart surgery.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by vapor
clinton had proposed a plan for a government controlled healthcare. the irony is that if had passed he would stiil be waiting in the hospital for heart surgery.

No he wouldn't because he's a politician, those aholes get special treatment.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am answering this thread after reading the initial post only, so I apologise if this is already mentioned.

Our health care is in need of fixing, and thankfully, it is headed in that direction. More important than that though, is what broke it. The answer believe it or not is the conservatives, under the leadership of Mulroney. That is a small fact that the pundits state side seem to not want to address whenever they point to us and say; see it doesn't work. Mulroney decimated the budget for services, totally destroyed our fiscal balances and even though Chretien and Martin did a half-assed job as PM, including trying to fix the problem, he has to be credited with turning the Mulroney wasteland around. Now Martin is in place and the funds are flowing back into the health system a bit more healthily.

Is the issue as bad as it is made out to be? No! Not from my perspective anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join