It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Students Forced to Work on iPhone 5

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Allegations Chinese Students Forced to Work on iPhone 5s

In what may be the most compulsory internship experience you’ve ever heard of, the Shanghai Daily is reporting that thousands of Chinese students from schools neighboring a Foxconn factory in the city of Huai'an were forced to help fulfill iPhone 5 orders.

According to the paper, students were taken by bus to the plant, and started working on the production line last Thursday after the Taiwanese-owned company was badly in need of extra hands to keep up with assembly of the hotly anticipated new version of Apple’s iPhone line.

Teachers from nearby schools confirmed via a radio report that classes had been interrupted, as these internships would fulfill their pupils' need to "experience working conditions." The student workers received the equivalent of $243.97 per month as compensation for working six days a week, and clocking in 12 hours per day.

Students say they are forced to work on new iPhone 5

According to a China National Radio report, teachers from local schools admitted suspending routine classes over the next one or two months. They said the internships were a compulsory course for students to "experience working conditions and promote individual ability," the report said.

A Jiangsu Institute of Finance and Economy student called Youyoyu said students from departments of law, English and management were all working at the plant.

I was shocked when I read this (although I suppose I should not be), I was wondering what ATS thinks about the compulsory internship. I suppose they can get back to their studies when the current production run is finished.
edit on 6-9-2012 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Oh, I wonder who is to blame here?

It couldn't be all the people on their Iphone 4 trying to get the latest and greatest phone could it?

Oh wait....

Okay, so they aren't the only ones to blame, but if the so called "need" wasn't there, then this might not happen.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
what is it about camping out in lines outside of the underground nyc store waiting to jump off a cliff i mean charge tiexorbitant hundreds or thousands of dollars of credit again on each, every year or so on basically the same devices, iphone, ipad, macbook etc and walk out with a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
They got paid, I don't see the problem here. Most internship programs here don't pay the students, and mandatory work experience is the norm.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Because it is forced slave labor, I dont even equate $250.00 a month for 72 hours a week, and getting paid as being in the same realm.
I do equate $250.00 a month for forced labor and slavery however, as do everyone on this planet except the fithy rich and apathetic lowlifes.

end rant
edit on 6-9-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntedBullets

There will ALWAYS be a "need" for this type of atrocious forced slavery in China, iPhone 5 or not. The power-hungry, greedy leaders will make sure of it.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
3 part response:

1. WTF
2. How smart are chinese if the students can make iphones?
3. Something I never understood about the fashionably hip: eventually the latest gadget will be outdated (like in 3 weeks) so why not just wait till the older model is cheaper?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Every time someone uses an Apple product they should get a sick feeling in the pit of their stomach.

Good news is these people are under in the watchful eye of big brother due to corporate sell out.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

I'm just wondering if it's just easier to psychologically manipulate a population that's comprised
of people who grew up as an "only child" Perhaps that's what China is striving for:
a population of psychological clones.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
They got paid, I don't see the problem here. Most internship programs here don't pay the students, and mandatory work experience is the norm.

Because it's forced labor and not even close to the internship they should be seeking.

students from departments of law, English and management were all working at the plant.

What is a law student going to learn on an assembly line?

Also, it's stated that this is happening because of a shortage of workers, not a planned internship.

Someone's getting the big bucks and it isn't the students.

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
In my day people stopped eating grapes to support the farm workers who complained of mistreatment. Now China is enslaving people to make your stupid little devices and all you spoiled gen Yers who think the world revolves around you are okay with it as long as you have your little devices. you are a waste of a generation.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Every time someone uses an Apple product they should get a sick feeling in the pit of their stomach.

Good news is these people are under in the watchful eye of big brother due to corporate sell out.

They should get a sick feeling. If they had a soul. But alot of them don't.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

2. How smart are chinese if the students can make iphones?

When my Grandmother came to Australia in the late 50's (from China) she went straight to work at a factory for EMI.

She made televisions and record-players, etc.

She was given a specific part (or parts) to solder onto the circuit-board, and then it was passed on to the next person.

They never know how to make the entire device. They are told what to solder, and where.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This is the type of stuff that will take place in the United States of Mitt Romney is elected.

Profit trumps all. It's the only thing that matters.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
This is the type of stuff that will take place in the United States of Mitt Romney is elected.

Profit trumps all. It's the only thing that matters.

In all honesty, if everybody wants a job, and you want the economy to grow, massive factories of people making these kinds of devices is the way to go.

Make a better product for a cheaper price, and out-do the competition.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
By having students doing the job for free?

Yeah, great idea. Way to grow the middle class

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
By having students doing the job for free?

Yeah, great idea. Way to grow the middle class

No, by giving a small job to as many people as you can, in a sector which can make back the wage-money easily, such as consumer electronics.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

IMHO, all of us who have any products that are made by people working in awful conditions should feel this way. But that would mean that we should feel bad about using/owning practically every electrical product in our homes.

Rev

top topics

join