It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Prove Free Will

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide,
You still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

Songwriters: Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart : Rush

edit on 28-2-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: quintessentone

There's no knowing what will appear until it does.

What thoughts will occur on hearing this?

The witness and the witnessed appear as one seamless happening.

Free will allows one to believe that the witness and the witnessed appear as one seamless happening, but that can't be proved.
edit on q00000055228America/Chicago2323America/Chicago2 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

This is going somewhere besides you not being able to deliver the one I request.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Untun

This is going somewhere besides you not being able to deliver the one I request.

Do you prefer one flavour over another?

If so..., did you choose that preference?

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Ralphy

I just make the pie I like.

link   
When a thought occurs....it is known at the same instant.....it disappears as it appears.

link   

originally posted by: WhatItIs

Which flavor is that?

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: WhatItIs

Which flavor is that?

Whatever I feel like.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

That doesn't prove me being able to choose to drink coffee or not isn't having free will.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Untun

That doesn't prove me being able to choose to drink coffee or not isn't having free will.

But we do have freewill on choosing what debates we engage in. Or if we will post or not.
edit on 28-2-2023 by WhatItIs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: WhatItIs

That doesn't prove being able to choose whether or not to drink coffee is not having free will.
edit on 28-2-2023 by Untun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
When a thought occurs....it is known at the same instant.....it disappears as it appears.

Manifesting thought is free will to do so...circling. Which came first the chicken or the egg?

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You do not have free will.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 00018GE

True, free will is taken.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
youtu.be...
You do not have free will.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 00018GE

You're not the only thing on earth. Whatever your brain contains, there are millions of external influences that can alter your decisions.

If you would like to bake a strawberry pie and go to the store for strawberries but they are sold out and you pick a banana instead, how is this determined since the big bang?

Life is not a downhill ride in the sense that you cannot change direction, by own will or by influences not of your own.

People can change their mind, you know.

You plan on going to the restaurant on foot and three steps further you trip and sprain your ankle, you choose not to go anymore, but your brain was set on it. Millions of external influences change your mind daily making what was determined at the big bang been overthrown long ago.
edit on 1-3-2023 by Untun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Well , I have Free Will . I Think , Therefore I Don't Give a F.........

posted on Mar, 2 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Untun

The changing mind is not done by someone.......

There is no one doing anything......

Life is simply being what it is.

It sounds terrifying.......but it's freedom already, for no one.

posted on Mar, 2 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm sorta with you on this one.

I subscribe to the position Hard Indetrminism

On the other end of the spectrum, there have also been philosophers who take determinism for an illusion. Especially in quantum mechanics, we have seen theories that describe the universe as something “statistical” rather than determined. Since the universe is not determined, in their views, a human free will is perfectly feasible – a position which is called “liberalism”.

One philosophical position has been neglected in these reflections. Since quantum mechanics still stands as one of the most successful physical theories of all time, all evidence points into the direction of a indeterministic universe. But this does not necessarily imply that therefore the actions of human beings are the result of a free acting agent. In short: the universe could very well be undetermined, but still human beings have no free will. This position is called “hard indeterminism”. Since many of our contemporary scientific insights point in the direction of the illusion of subjective will, but also the illusion of determinism, I believe “hard indeterminism” deserves more attention by contemporary philosophers.

ineffable.live...

Free will is more like thinking you are picking from the narrow range of choices the flow of the universe gives you. "Free choice" that really isn't if you look into it. It's like an ideomotor unconscious thing. You were unconsciously going to react that way in that indetrminate statistical situation. Seemingly programmed to choose; "right", "right", "left", "right", "left" anyway.

If a god exists it's the acausal component of the universe. God's running some super-universal self-contained simulation program. Coded parameters to run itself and script the "concsious" decision making of "causal agents".
edit on 2-3-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

There are people who know what people who know are about and there can be people who know this but everything was known at the beginning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join