It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Canada won't send troops to Iraq but will continue commitment to Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin affirmed his countries support for keeping troops in Afghanistan, but would not do so for Iraq. The comments, made in Paris, came after a meeting with French president Jacques Chirac.

story.news.yahoo.com
PARIS (CP) - Prime Minister Paul Martin won"t commit to sending troops to help rebuild Iraq despite growing pressure on world leaders to do more for the war-torn country.

"Whatever we do I want to see us do it in an area that makes a difference," Martin said Thursday after meeting with French president Jacques Chirac. The prime minister is visiting Moscow, France and Hungary this week.

Citing Canadian peacekeeping efforts in Afghanistan and Haiti, Martin said, "We are not on the sidelines."

Martin"s predecessor, Jean Chretien, refused to join the U.S.-led attack on Iraq last year because the invasion was not backed by the United Nations. But Canada has not sat idly by. Canada"s involvement in Iraq has included $300 million for emergency aid and rebuilding efforts of which about $140 million has flowed.

Martin"s comments on Iraq came as two international meetings were being held on how best to restore peace and order to the country

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pointing out that Canada has peacekeepers in Afghanistan and Haiti, Martin stated "We are not on the sidelines". However Canada while not providing troops has provided financial aid up to $300 million for rebuilding efforts. Martin pointed to the importance of concentrating Canada�s limited resources in the best possible way.

[edit on 10/14/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think Jean Chretien made an excellent choice not joining the war. At least I haven't had to see any Canadian's beheaded.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I agree that Chretien made the right choice. Not many Canadians supported the war in Iraq and it would have changed the worlds view of our military from peacekeeping to offensive force.

Good for Martin for sticking to the gameplan and not bowing down to pressure from Bush & Co.

join