It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memoirs of a junk drawer..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have a drawer, a special place, for the vast accumulations of my life. A place for my tons of junk its so heavy the hinges to keep the drawer in place are broken..

The first few items I see when I take a gander into my junk drawer are things i haven't missed since it went in the drawer like a old yellowed baggie full of old buttons,Pens, pencils, paper clips, small packets of "Flower Care" powder,deck of cards,broken flash light,and the list goes on..

When i peek into my junk drawer it's like Christmas, I was wondering where that was! My junk drawer is indispensable in fact i love my my junk drawer..

Sometimes i pull up a chair and lose myself in its mix of mystery (what the heck is this?),Sometimes i say to myself i cant believe I saved this,But then i think good thing I’ve got one of these, just in case!

Now I’ve seen junk drawers that are more organized,With stackable trays full of compartments that hold things by category..I find that to be weird behavior at least to a pack rat like me

To me these the organized drawers don’t qualify as “junk drawers” because there’s noting old in them,To me there is no fun in organization and structure there just management drawers..I love my junk drawer it relieves my anxiety and makes me smile..

Yep,Give me some old plastic baggies full of old buttons and odds and ends or decomposing rubber bands and best of all the old bread ties and I’m ready for about anything!

Odds are you have one too

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone else have a junk drawer thats full of great lost items? peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

My junk drawer is big cardboard box in my closet. I tend to drop stuff in there that I don't know what else to do with at the time. I do occasionally go through it and I did actually find an old baggie full of something I had forgotten about.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

N3k9Ni
I like the idea of a big cardboard box only problem with me is id have 5 or six in my closet and i wouldn't be able to get to my clothes and the boxes would be piled high with junk
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have a junk drawer in my kitchen, it has nails, a hammer, a metal measuring tape dealy, an old nut cracker, the metal kind, still in the box, assorted screw drivers, none of which are the one I need when I need one
, string, and assorted odd screws that came out of something or were in those put together kit things where at the end you always have one or two left over, and an adjustable set of pliers, I'm sure there is a name for them, but I would not know what it is.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Hi, Sugarcookie! Great title, btw. I got rid of my junk drawer, but i do have hiding places for odd things. Ok now, time to confess: How many plastic bread bag thingees are in your drawer?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

My junk drawer is in my kitchen also
I had to laugh when you said you had screws left over from kits i have tons of those..My latest was from putting together a computer desk i had 6 screws left over and i don't think they were extras lol but guess what they went into my junk drawer you just never know when ya might need that size screw
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

aboutface
OK i will confess i have 32 plastic bread bag ties stored away i just might need them for something (what i don't know) but hey there there when i just might need one
peace,sugarcookie

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I am wondering just how many junk drawers do I have?
Kitchen...2 in the buffet,2 below the wall ovens,1 in the cabinets
Dining room...2 in dining room buffet
Family room...1 in coffee table,2 endtables
Master bedroom... 2 nightstands*,2 drawers in dresser,1 chest of drawers
Master bathroom...1 sink cabinet
Hubby's office...
I am not really allowed in there much
Guest bedroom...2 in dresser
Cats' playroom...3 in chest of drawers
My office...Do bookcases count?
I think my husband is right
,I am a packrat

*nightstands have two drawers each

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

mamabeth
Oh my you have been busy that is allot of junk drawers..I don't even have that many and i consider myself a pack rat but sit down one day and look through them you will be surprised at what you have saved..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You think the drawers are bad you should see our closets!
My hubby and I have his and hers walk in closets.When I couldn't
stuff anymore into mine I started using his.He came home from
work once and I had put about 3 or 4 wedding dresses* in his.

* I was a floral designer and event consultant.I also have my basement
loaded down with all kinds of goodies.When I discovered ATS,I left ebay.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I have a junk draw, although in our house we call it the s*** draw, because it contains items or s*** for any emergency or occasion. Spare batteries, candles, screwdrivers old A/V cables, you name it. It's become an institution at every house we have at least one draw dedicated to that stuff that just won't go anywhere else.

Then there's the computer stuff draws, I won't even get started there.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thank You for this thread!

Yes I have a junk drawer for most of the things others have mentioned. I also have a box. A box full of memories.

I raised one of my daughters from the age of five by myself and no girlfreind.

I have all her school photos. I have all her band concert pictures. I have her softball t- shirts.

Now that I am living in my travel trailer and dont have much room for my stuff, she asks me why I keep it. I tell her that its my life and she will understand someday.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
For some reason amongst other things mine has a couple of kitchen items that I know for sure I have never ever bought like a melon baller and an egg slicer, how did they get in there?
Theres also loads of chopsticks that I never eat with and batteries that are all most likely dead a couple of phone chargers for phones I no longer have and lots of incense sticks .
edit on 5-9-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Im sorry that I just realized that I took your thread off topic. If someone would start a thread on memories in a box, I should post there.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

mamabeth
I understand the closet affair also.. Mine is full to the brim with clothes and dreaded shoes i cant part with maybe someday i will get in there and pack stuff up and send to the goodwill..
Id love to go through your closets and basement what an adventure that would be! Your a true packrat and i love that
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
ive got some junk in old shoe boxes. passport's, small screwdriver's and novelty bottle opener's.
ah memory's.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

74Templar
In my world everyone should have at least 1 junk drawer or more it should be a institution in every house!
My upstairs is full of old computers, monitors and parts its like a grave yard something else i cant part with so i understand
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

bourbon2nite

I think its wonderful that you saved all those items that were your daughters..My mom did that for me also and i never understood growing up but now as an adult i cherish everything she saved she even saved my baby shoes and the outfit i came home in.
Both my parents passed away a few years back so all those things mean the world to me..

Sometimes i just drag out the box and look though it all and smile so many wonderful memories of my childhood..
Thank you for posting,peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

davespanners

Oh i have tons of chopsticks in mine thats a must i keep thinking i will make something out of them and of course i never do

If you don't want the melon baller and an egg slicer i can take those off your hands they would make a great addition to my junk junk drawer
peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join