It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We live in the age of revival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I read something about Jaron Lanier and Simon Reynolds, taken from " You're not a gadget " and " Retromania ".
And I understood there's a phenomenon in recent history that is somewhat frightening.

The current musical industry is defined as stagnant and obsessionated with the past.
Lanier says that contemporary music suffers from a persistent sleep, caused by the limitless offer available on the Internet and above all, thanks to You Tube.
Lanier concludes that our culture shows all the symptoms of the sistematic exhaustion of possibilities, the end of all models and the decline of creativity.

Reynolds says music's evolution has stopped, for a technological reason; You Tube is atemporary, you tube is essentially timeless and has resulted in a fusion of past and present.
Being us the people which can have access to precise information about the past, in such an unprecedented way, our culture, all culture, cinema, music, history, habits, has been invaded by the past.

There will not be another Marilyn Monroe, another Michael Jackson, another James Dean, such as there will never be another history icon such as the icons of World War 2.
The last unique and special decade was the 1980s.

Our culture has a disease of some sort, We should look again toward the future. We should pioneer new areas, we should create more and archive and conserve less.
Unemployment is one of the characteristic symptoms of all of this...
People who are young now cannot dream anymore. Sure , they can dream, but their dreams cannot become real.

If history was an engine, we have lost so much of that historical propulsion, and we are in a stasis, in a void, in a dull period.

What can we do to change this process? What will happen if the future continues to be so? What will be of our culture in general if technology advances more and more?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Reynolds says music's evolution has stopped, for a technological reason; You Tube is atemporary, you tube is essentially timeless and has resulted in a fusion of past and present.
Being us the people which can have access to precise information about the past, in such an unprecedented way, our culture, all culture, cinema, music, history, habits, has been invaded by the past.

There is nothing new under the sun. i dont know where that saying originates from but i believe it to be true.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I believe it says more about what we are being forced to listen to. Sure commercial music is stuck in a permanent arse loop, but that's not to say that there aren't artists/people out there doing something completely original in their bedrooms. Youtube has been an excellent thing for music. The possibilities of music are nearly as endless as the possibilities of our future. s+f

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Athlon....here: (NWT: Ecclesiastes 1:8-10) 8 All things are wearisome; no one is able to speak of it. The eye is not satisfied at seeing, neither is the ear filled from hearing. 9 That which has come to be, that is what will come to be; and that which has been done, that is what will be done; and so there is nothing new under the sun . 10 Does anything exist of which one may say: “See this; it is new”? It has already had existence for time indefinite; what has come into existence is from time prior to us.

King Solomon penned those words 3000 years ago
edit on 18-10-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: to attempt to bold intalic and underline "there is nothing new under the sun"

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

I didnt realise the saying was that old

new topics

top topics

join