It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Microsoft Releases Security Patches for 22 New Flaws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
In what is being called the largest single release of corrective patches from software giant Microsoft, the company made available fixes for 22 software flaws. Seven of these are considered "critical" security holes. Many of the flaws were corrected with the installation of XP Service Pack 2, however it addresses some flaws not covered by the service pack update.

PCMag.com
A "cumulative security update" plugs eight holes in the Internet Explorer browser, while other patches address "critical" vulnerabilities in the Windows shell, in SMTP and elsewhere.

Microsoft on Tuesday announced its latest round of patches, focusing almost exclusively on flaws in older operating systems, servers and applications that were largely covered by Microsoft XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Nevertheless, this month's "Patch Tuesday" was busy, with Microsoft releasing 10 security bulletins for various vulnerabilities, a majority of which could allow for remote code execution or result in a denial of service. Several of the bulletins include more than one patch, comprising 20-odd patches in all.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The patches can be obtained from Microsoft.com.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
YEP!

Us IT guys are ALWAYS happy when this happens.
Thats because we never have anything else to do..

Keep em coming BILL!

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
One sure thing about working with Microsoft Products for a living is the certain job security. Windows will always be sloppy, so will always need fixing...

Just goes to assure the continuation of the technological priesthood.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I can envision a time when folks will have to revamp or replace their computers due to Microsfot updates and patches taking up most available hard drive space.

What happens to those poor soulds who never update??? I know they must exist.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
grrrrrrrr.....This just keeps making ya think can they do anything right, But the fact of the matter is, I use Microsoft Windows and i'll use it anyday over any Apple OS.

A lot of people always askwhy didn't they fix all the problems in the first security patch, the answer is because everyones pc is different, poeple have different programs on there computers which may not work well with another program, so what happens is Microsoft gets emailed to fix the problem, but that happens on a massive scale, since windows dominates the market.

I just wish windows would stop milkin XP for all its worth, its a pretty good OS, but it can always be better. They keep post ponning there Next version of windows, Codenamed: Longhorn. It isn't even all that different from what we have today, and yet its taking forever to finish, I think Microsoft allready has it all working they just want XP to get a good run. Which it allready has, its the highest selling OS of all time. Its currently slated for a 2006 launch, It was originally supossed to be 2004.

So i'm hoping its worth the wait.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
What happens to those poor soulds who never update??? I know they must exist.

You bet they exist..They just can't get online, due to unforseen circumstances.
I just got through talking to one of them...LOL..He's bringing his PC to me next week.!

top topics

join