It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion at TN Ammo Plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A storage building at the Milan Army ammunition plant 90 miles outside Memphis, TN was rocked by a massive explosion today, critically injuring one person and leaving two others missing. FBI officials are on the scene, and they indicate that the explosion appears to have been accidental. Workers were moving barrels of flamabale material when, according to witnesses, one of the barrels "flashed."

Newsday.com
Mayor George Killebrew said one person was airlifted to a hospital, while authorities searched for two others caught in the explosion at the Milan Army Ammunition plant. The cause was not immediately determined, but FBI agent George Bolds had been told by authorities that the blast appeared to be an accident.

"As far as we know, they were moving some barrels of some sort of volatile material and one of the barrels flashed," Bolds said.

Killebrew said the storage building housed ammunition and was located in an isolated area of the plant. Three to four people typically work there at a time, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The plant manufactures medium-caliber ammo and produces the cartridges used in grenade machine guns.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Local story here for me.

Heard this on the local news radio when it happened.. They are so lucky that this explosion happened in a bunker away from the main plant.

It could have been a LOT worse.

What I find strange is I've been in that general area many times on work.. But never knew this plant was there.. May have seen it but never knew what was going on inside.

I hate to even think of what could have been here.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
The plant...produces the cartridges used in grenade machine guns.

I'd really like to know more about these weapons. They must produce a real spectacle and strike fear in the hearts of our enemies.
www.army.mil...
www.fas.org...

[edit on 04/10/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I pray they are ok, I can understand this concern working in industry. Things happen that are out of ones control. Hope the guy makes it.

top topics

join