It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbonari, A Secret Political Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Carbonari
(CHARCOAL-BURNERS)

The name of a secret political society, which played an important part, chiefly in France and Italy, during the first decades of the nineteenth century

Article located here:

www.newadvent.org...

Anyone heard of this secret society before?

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor

Yes, Garibaldi was a member.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Can you tell me a little more than that ML? What knowledge do you have of the Carbonari and their undertakings. Any links you can share?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Can you tell me a little more than that ML? What knowledge do you have of the Carbonari and their undertakings. Any links you can share?

I read a book about them once, it just had their history, a biography of their famous members, and their initiation rituals. They were an independent body but had ties to Mazzini's Young Italy movement, and wanted to unite the Italian nation under a democtratic republic and restrict the political influence of the papacy. It was sort of the Italian version of the Bavarian Illuminati, except most of the members were protestants instead of deists.

Fiat Lvx.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Masonic Light]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What is the name of this book? Maybe I'll be lucky and find it in the local library. It would probably be a good read.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

What is the name of this book? Maybe I'll be lucky and find it in the local library. It would probably be a good read.

I think it was called "History of Secret Societies", or something similar. It is also had background and ritual excerpts of Masonry, Oddfellows, Woodmen of the World, Knights of Columbus, Knights of Pythias, the Orange Order, and the two more unsavory "secret societies", the Mafia and Ku Klux Klan.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Yes i have. we talked about it on history classes.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here is a paper on the Carbonari and their actions. It makes for very intersting reading.
www.savefile.com...

external imageexternal image

The author seems to make a case for their being a masonic offshoot, though notes that legend even attributes their formation to Philip of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great. The author actually has a number of papers that describe the rituals of the Carbonari. Apparently they claim Jesus Christ as the first "carbono" and the disciples as his carbonari. Some of their invovlment and that of other secret societies in the Italian revolution, the Risorgimento, is discussed here

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Here is a paper on the Carbonari and their actions. It makes for very intersting reading.

It certainly does make an ineresting read sir. I noticed the article mentions the higher degrees which most never even new existed were like the Illuminati having the same goals which was to destroy every positive religion and every form of government and Monarchys.

I wonder why they chose a name which means coal burners?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I wasn't clear on that either. I looed around and found an explanation here, of all places
www.allstates-flag.com...

The republican revolution [in Spain] of 1910 (and previous attempts and demonstrations) was largely inspired by a radical republican secret society called Carbonária (akin to the Masonry), inspired in an older italian organization of the same name. These called themselves the charcoal-makers (carbonari), who were free to go out of town to the forests get their wood

So I guess the idea stems from a more distant time when people couldn't pass through the town gates at will and needed permission to travel and the like. Or, perhaps, the people that formed the carbonari beleived that that was the case anyway.

Also they have a page on the carbonari flag here
www.allstates-flag.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Aren't the (modern-day) Carbonari merely the Italian equivalent of the FBI or US Marshalls?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

That's Carabinieri, a totally different organization.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I was going to ask the same question. Are the 'carbonari' related any way to the Caribinieri (sp?) or Italian federal police?

I believe the word root is different but it's interesting. When I visited Italy nobody could explain exactly what the federal police *do* except that I should not piss them off.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Garibaldi was a member and then leader of the Carbonari in the groups efforts to unit Italy. Later, when Italy was united, to honor Garibaldi as a national hero/icon, they named their National Police/Investigative agency the Caribinieri. And as a footnote to why they called themselves Charcoal Burners is that in order to move better at night or in the dusk, they would rub burnt charcoal on each others faces in order to hide better in the night in both the city and out in the villages and woods as they went from place to place at night in the commission of their activities.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Err… the Carbinieri are the carbine squads, AKA gun men. Nothing to do with CarBOnari.

top topics

join