It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Canadian choice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
A question for all you fellow Canadians on here. Who would you rather be elected Commander in Chief of the United States from a standpoing of which one is better for Canada? Kerry, Bush, or other?

p.s. Sorry for saying "other" when referring to the other candidates, but for the life of me I can't remember all their names.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
A question for all you fellow Canadians on here. Who would you rather be elected Commander in Chief of the United States from a standpoing of which one is better for Canada? Kerry, Bush, or other?

Well, being a Canadian I'd like............

Seriously, I like Badnarik.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Maybe you can drink it out of this

[edit on 13-10-2004 by sensfan]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Who is better for Canada?

Definitely Kerry.

The starkest point of distinction between the two front-runners is that Bush is a unilateralist and Kerry is clearly multilateral in his approach. So Kerry will be the primary choice of many countries for that distinction alone.

However, who is President makes little difference since Canada-US relations are conducted at all levels of diplomatic, military and economic spheres. I doubt that a particular administration could undo such a close relationship. The policies will change little in my opinion. I view US politics as a choice between cola-red and cola-blue, the labels and tastes are a bit different but they are both colas.

EDIT to add: Since I have other Canadian's attention what are your views on this thread? Supreme Court of Canada Begins Same Sex Hearings

[edit on 10/13/2004 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Personally, I'm for Kerry, but I will say this - I can't wait till this election campaign is over. I don't know if you guys have looked at the "Politics and Scandals" forum as a whole lately, but all threads are beginning to look alike. Either it's a pro-Bush poster who's found a "smoking gun" showing why Kerry is a traitor, isn't fit to be President, should be flayed alive, blabla... or it's a pro-Kerry poster posting yet another link about how Bush is a war criminal, blabla... the thing is, either way, every thread inevitably ends up the same way - liberals and conservatives going at each other's throats and bickering about who is a better American.

Besides, I'd like to thank sensfan for starting this thread for Canadians. That way I can post my opinion without risking somebody telling me to mind my own business.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Your welcome Otts. I haven't been told to mind my own business YET ;-)

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I agree with Intrepid, I'm for ....assorted libertarian. Yes. Or the commie.

Kerry is incompetent, bumbling and constantly flipflops. He'd stab Canada in the back and offer us up to the people while callign us friend.

Bush isn't that great, either. He's a moron with a mission, pointed in the wrong direction. He don't like canada, either.

Badnarik is my first choice...followed by the commie. Just because I don't like cold war relics.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
First thanks for the Canadian thread, I am kind of sick of the back and forth as well.

Seeing how this US election is kind of like our last election, in that only the lesser of two evils will win, I would vote for Kerry. At least he can speak in a coherent manner, unlike Bush who by no stretch of the imagination is one sandwich short of a picnic. When it comes to debates, they both made our politicians look like fricken rocket scientists, and our debates had four candidates, could you see the US doing that
. I mean at least our guys had some heat in the discussion (some times to much, but still better than Bush's little smile and node, like a moron, at the end of each answer).

Seeing how we probably all agree that Bush is a moron and has let Canada/US economic and government relations go down the drain in regards to softwood lumber and mad cows (being the main two), as well as his mismanagement and misinformation of the war in Iraq and WORLD relations let alone Canadian relations, I really hope he gets ousted. Kerry on the other hand wants to be a Canadian, social services for the US who would have thought, as well as his UN and World relations, I think he would be at least be a bit better for Canadian/US relations than the moron.

DeusEx
"Kerry is incompetent, bumbling"

Are you sure you didn't mean Bush, cause he can barely even speak, although he can consistently smile and node like a moron, sorry I just think he is tooo funny, smile and node like a moron
I don't think I will ever be able to look at him the same, before he was just a moron, now he is a smilin, noddin, moron.

"Bush isn't that great, either. He's a moron with a mission, pointed in the wrong direction."

is all I have to say about that.

I have a question, what if we had to vote one of them for Prime Minister of Canada, who would you vote for?

Again Kerry for me. Because Bush would try to go to war with our army
That would be bloody hilarious, Bush: "We are sending all 25,000 of our troops to Iraq, along with the ten snow birds and we will make the US take us there, on their boats"
Oh who the heck am I kidding, we would never elect Bush up here, he would be workin at Tim Horton’s and drinkin a Molson, smilin and noddin like a drunk moron sayin "eh boay" and watchin Royal Canadian Air Farce or old re runs of Kids in the Hall.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
look, i get the point of this thread, but i have to wonder just what the hell kind of question is "which president is best for canada?" how is that relevant? isn't what's most important here who is best for america? afterall it's the american election being talked about. if you want to ask who canadians want to win the election, then ask that. if you want to ask who everybody thinks is better on foreign policy, then ask that. now of course both of those questions have been asked and answered to death. but whatever, juts my two cents.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'd go with Badnarik...

astro, I think the question is relevent because Canada has very close ties with America and whomever goes into office, their policies will affect us.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
look, i get the point of this thread, but i have to wonder just what the hell kind of question is "which president is best for canada?" how is that relevant? isn't what's most important here who is best for america? afterall it's the american election being talked about. if you want to ask who canadians want to win the election, then ask that. if you want to ask who everybody thinks is better on foreign policy, then ask that. now of course both of those questions have been asked and answered to death. but whatever, juts my two cents.

No one asked, "which president is best for Canada?" Next time try to quote, so that the "quote" is more coherant and accurate.

My question was a joke... I just needed to vent some pent up anxiety and dislike towards Bush.
And as for the thread topic... Are you Canadian??? Then what does it matter to you what we think?
Oh ya it should matter what we think because we are after all nieghbours, arn't we? Presuming you are from the US of A. And therefore the disissions that you make affect us, kind of like NAFTA, softwood lumber, Ban on Canadian beef, these are all political and all affect us as Canadians. The world is bigger than just the bloody US of A, open your eyes and DENY IGNORANCE.

I will give you the fact that this is a US election and most of the things involved with said election are strictly conserning your country, but there is a BIG world out there that your foreign policies are affecting, whether it be a positive or a negitave affect.

[edit on 14-10-2004 by amike555]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade

Don't worry. With their exchange rate even if they could vote it would only count as 3/4 of a vote!

Just joking. I understand the concept of the thread. As Americans, we must realize that our election will have direct implications on the countries around the world. Perhaps if we weren't so likely to "press" our morals and agendas on the world they wouldn't care as much who is President.

As for me, I will vote for who I think is best for the country and my family.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf

Don't worry. With their exchange rate even if they could vote it would only count as 3/4 of a vote!

Better than just over 1/2 a vote 2 years ago

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
To add to what Parrhesia said, astroblade - we know that after four years in power, Bush is more sensible to Canada than he was when he ran in 2000. Back then, being the governor of Texas, he declared that Mexico was the most important trade partner of the U.S... which struck us Canadians as odd. On the other hand, we know that John Kerry, being from Massachusetts, will have a good grasp on what the ties between Canada and the U.S. are - for example, he'll probably have participated as senator in some of the economic summits between the New England states and Québec/Ontario. So that counts for us.

What also counts is a number of economic issues which will undoubtedly affect us - for example, exporting lower-cost drugs to the U.S., as well as a number of disagreements (among those, softwood lumber) where the American administration claimed we were unfairly subsidising our industries. So indeed there are issues which affect us pretty directly on that front.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Hey lets hear it for are great Canadian neighbors. We love ya Canada! I'm a Wisconsin transplant living in California. People here always ask me if I'm from Canada. They say I sound Canadian.

Ps I know this has nothing to do with the tread, But I believe your opinion counts. Your our neighbors.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Alot of people say here that the canadian accent sounds more like a mix of british and scottish together... But very faint...

i think thats kinda cool.

sorry to get off topic... continue .

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Other. Even though that is not a viable choice. I would even offer Joe Who as a viable alternative.

Bush is a very dangerous man, driven by the ideology of his neo-conservative handlers and made worse by his impairment as a fundamentalist hearing the whispers of Mars in his head. He has no campaigning to do in 1998, therefore I fully expect to see the lunatic fringe in his party invoke to the fullest extent the doctrines of PNAC. Consequently, it has to be Kerry since I would rather take a chance on a new road than one I know leads to a precipice.

Some of our American friends do not quite understand that because the USA’s foreign policy is intrinsically tied to the rest of the western nations, specifically monetarily, that any unrest in the world where the US is in the midst, will disrupt their economic system as well as ours. They do not understand that as much as they may currently be the world power, exercising that might in a manner not backed by the others, will cause more than economic decline in their country and others.

I am just grateful that Canadians elected a minority government, because if Bush is re-elected, at least Martin and Harper will be kept somewhat in check.

kix

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
To add to what Parrhesia said, astroblade - we know that after four years in power, Bush is more sensible to Canada than he was when he ran in 2000. Back then, being the governor of Texas, he declared that Mexico was the most important trade partner of the U.S... which struck us Canadians as odd.

The weird thing about Bush is that he asked Our president to join the "coalition of the clueless" since Mexico was a member of the security council of the UN they NEEDED OUR VOTE to justify the invasion, our president said NO, and GWB was pissed as hell SO MUCH THAT HE DID NOT speak to president Fox for almost a year, until de world economic summit forced him to come down here and Talk and make friends again (it was a huge joke here just to sugest Mexico would endorse the invasion), then GWB said Mexico was more impostant than Canada, then some months later the blackout on NY, and he blamed Canad a for the blackout !!!

My point is... instead of forming a strong NAFTA block and having good PR with its neighbors, they keep playing tricks and pretending we NON USA citizens dont see the Jingoistic foreign relations...

I dont like Bush but deep down, I dont feel Kerry has what it takes....

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I haven't been following any canidates besides Kerry/Edwards and Bush/Cheney. I'd vote for Kerry, mainly because of the interesting comments that I took offence to about the "Medicine from Canada" question in the second Presidential Debate. Though I am biased against Bush, I truely do believe that Kerry is better for Canada

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Bush/Cheney.

Kerry would be far more protectionist and xenophobic which will hurt all nations that trade with the US. We already have border issues with beef and softwood lumber. We dont need a know-it-all centre left making things worse. We have enough of those in our own government.

new topics

top topics

join