It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush and Co in on UN/Iraq/Oil/Food????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Duelfer report: Hussein planned on postwar insurgency

Classified version of same report says US oil companies and individuals benefitted from UN oil-for-food program.

by Tom Regan | csmonitor.com

Last week's report by the CIA-led Iraq Survey Group � now commonly called the Duelfer Report after chief weapons inspector Charles A. Duelfer � has been generating headlines since its release. One key finding highlighted by the media was the acknowledgement that Iraq possessed no weapons of mass destruction, and what programs it did have to create such weapons had been in decline since 1991. Then came the stories about the UN's oil-for-food program and how Saddam Hussein "gamed" the system in order to secretly raise billions of dollars in allegedly corrupt oil deals.
Now the Boston Globe is surfacing more information from the Duelfer report that shows that the United States with its 'shock and awe" campaign may have played into Mr. Hussein's plans for a prolonged insurgency after the country was captured by US troops. The report based its findings on interviews with former top Iraqi generals, along with other sources.

"Saddam believed that the Iraqi people would not stand to be occupied or conquered by the United States and would resist � leading to an insurgency," said the 1,000-page report by chief weapons inspector Charles A. Duelfer. "Saddam said he expected the war to evolve from traditional warfare to insurgency."

The Age, of Melbourne, Australia, says the Duelfer reports says that from August 2002 to January of 2003 Hussein ordered his military commanders to bury weapons around the country. And the report also says that in the months before the US invasion Hussein and his generals read books by Vietnamese communists on how to conduct guerilla warfare.

The Duelfer report, according to the Globe, also says that the CIA "warned in several secret reports before the war that the invasion would likely be followed by a guerrilla campaign." Other top US military commanders, such as retired Army General George Joulwan, the former NATO commander who led the peacekeeping mission in Bosnia, say there were many other signs that the Iraqis were planning to fight an insurgency rather than a traditional war.

"The US was meeting organized resistance of a different kind, not Republican Guards but this different sort of fighting. It was an early warning." Even by telegraphing that the US-led onslaught would be a "shock and awe" campaign, the United States unnecessarily played into the Iraqis' hands, according to Joulwan, because from an enemy standpoint it provided additional reason not to confront the United States directly. "There were strong indications this was part of their strategy," Joulwan said.
The Daily Telegraph of London reported on Sunday that a "powerful 'old guard'" at the CIA has launched an "unprecedented campaign" to undermine the Bush administration with a series of negative leaks and briefings about Iraq. The Telegraph reports that there is "anger in the CIA" for being blamed for all of the problems with the prewar intelligence on Iraq.
Bill Harlow, the former CIA spokesman who left with the former director George Tenet in July, acknowledged that there had been leaks from within the agency. "The intelligence community has been made the scapegoat for all the failings over Iraq," he said. "It deserves some of the blame, but not all of it. People are chafing at that, and that's the background to these leaks."
Meanwhile, The New York Times reported Monday that several prominent US firms and individuals had received vouchers from Hussein's government that allowed them to buy Iraqi oil under the UN oil-for-food program, and were among the largest purchasers of Iraqi oil right up until the start of the invasion of Iraq in March 2003.
When the ISG released its report last week, it listed only foreign companies and individuals that had benefitted from the UN plan. US names were withheld for privacy reasons, an explanation that made foreign countries named in the report furious. But the American names were included in classified copies of the reports given to Congress and the White House and these copies were shown to the Times.

The report said US companies Chevron, Mobil, Texaco and Bay Oil, as well as three US individuals, including oil baron Oscar Wyatt, were together allotted 111 million barrels of oil ... Spokesmen for the companies and for Mr Wyatt said the transactions were legal, but confirmed they had received subpoenas from a grand jury investigating the transactions.
Finally, Jack Kinsella of the Omega Letter, a Christian news website, comments on the fact that it was Saddam Hussein who fooled his generals about the existence of weapons of mass destruction, and not the other way around. Until the Iraq Survey Group report appeared, security experts had speculated on the possibility that Iraqi generals had kept Hussein in the dark about the real condition of his WMD programs, in order to protect their lives. But the ISG report, comments Mr. Kinsella, showed that Hussein was "micromanaging" his weapons programs and policies so that he could fool his two biggest enemies � the United States and Iran � into thinking he was still a power with which to be reckoned.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by GrndLkNatv]

[edit on 13-10-2004 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Is this the beginning of the sinking ship, the real October Surprise???? Time for someone and his buddies to go to jail?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I read your entire post, and funny, the only mention of President Bush was in your accusatory headline.

Typical.

I don't find it odd that some US Oil companies were involved in the OIL for food program?

Why do you?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Great post, have you got a link to this? TIA

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
the Oil Barron that is listed, Oscar Wyatt is a hugh Democratic Fund raiser and big time Kerry supporter. I don't know how his involvement in this is related to President Bush. The only thing that I can think of is that this was related to Bush because the Dems have pushed Bush as being for big oil. Look at sec filings for these companies and see how many Democrats and Republicans are listed. Both sides make money off of oil.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Get a grip, any drop of oil in Texas passes through the Bush household

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So that will mean that anybody that profited from the US mayor companies in these deals will also be accomplice right?

So I see lots of goverment officials in this mess too

Ha, ha, ha, let the ball run down the capitol hill.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Any and all politicians will have their behinds exposed including the pres.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
"any drop of oil in texas passes through the Bush household".

that is perhaps the most ridiculous statement that i have ever heard.

not only that, this was Iraqi oil, in case you didn't know.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
prove to me that every drop of oil in Texas passes through the Bush household. I think that this is a gross mis-statement on your part. come on, Al Gore owns about 2 million shares of Ocidental Oil, a Houston based oil company. You can't tell me that Bush has his fingers in every oil company in Texas. You make him out to be the God Father of the Oil Business. You are just passing on information that is good, but you are attributing Bush to it because of your own belief. I would sound stupid if I said that Kerry had ties to mafia because he is a senator from Mass. and we all know that during the 20s rum running was rampant from Mass. to the rest of the nation.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I fail to see a connection between post title and post content. As they used to say in the old Wendys commercial "wheres the beef" - I'll have to ask "wheres the Bush"

If its oil connections and politicians you want see this thread by Valhall

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You'll soon see how the bush is attached.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I thought this was about Halliburton selling parts to Iraq during the 90's.

The Halliburton subsidiaries, Dresser-Rand and Ingersoll Dresser Pump Co., sold water and sewage treatment pumps, spare parts for oil facilities and pipeline equipment to Baghdad through French affiliates from the first half of 1997 to the summer of 2000, U.N. records show. Ingersoll Dresser Pump also signed contracts -- later blocked by the United States -- according to the Post, to help repair an Iraqi oil terminal that U.S.-led military forces destroyed in the Gulf War years earlier. ICH

I'll agree that the headline is misleading.
That's not to say that Bush & Co didn't benefit, just that the content of the article doesn't really do much do implicate them.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks for admitting that there is zero evidence in your post for a President Bush link, despite your inflammatory headline.

We wait with baited breath any new information.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
about his intelligence reports according to this right?

"The Duelfer report, according to the Globe, also says that the CIA "warned in several secret reports before the war that the invasion would likely be followed by a guerrilla campaign." Other top US military commanders, such as retired Army General George Joulwan, the former NATO commander who led the peacekeeping mission in Bosnia, say there were many other signs that the Iraqis were planning to fight an insurgency rather than a traditional war. "

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Was it illegal for the U.S. to participate in a U.N. program? Where are the abuse charges? Aren't the United States a partof, no wait, aren't they the United Nations, since the HQ is in New York City?

Nice try! Better luck next time!

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
guess it was only for the poor folks and not the rich repubs eh?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
lying about what?

oh thats right, he lies about everything, right?

I was always bothered by the speed of the initial campaign...w/ the iraqi divisions melting away. I knew that many of them would resurface as "insurgents" and would have to be dealt with down the road.

How this makes Bush a liar, I do not have a clue.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yes, the UN had sanctions against Iraq. But to help the Iraqi citizenry, the UN authorized the "oil for food" program outside of the sanctions to ostensibly help feed the hungry.

Who else to handle the oil end of the transactions, but major oil companies.

and now I see you are reaching for a divisive class warfare argument.

pathetic.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
when this thing all comes apart and the corruption is exposed. I am betting Bush/Cheney will be in the middle of it all.

top topics

join