It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The catch all mental health disorder... Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Still baseless.....lol. Your source is not credible but even if it was the article mentions nothing about them being taken into custody or held against their will because they were diagnosed with ODD.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
" This is the point of my Thread. I'm not sure why people are concentrating on kids. The point is that ODD is starting to be used as a means of identifying those who oppose the system and the globalist agenda."

Great thread OP ... and I agree.

But, it's not limited to ODD. There are other many "disorder" labels: PTSD, ADD, ADHD, OCD, and so on.

I think since the "D" stands for "Disorder" it's implied that the person is, well, "Disordered".
Being labeled as "disordered" or having a "disorder" strips an individual of their credibility.

Take PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for example. It's not even a "disorder". It's actually an emotional injury, a trauma. A person diagnosed with PTSD is not mentally-ill, crazy or disordered ... unless, of course, they are also a psychopath ... a psychopath with PTSD.

There's a psychology behind all of this psychology. I think the so-called mental-health experts who come up with this crapola are disordered.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

You are right, if you are using the the "english" terms for disorder. If you are using the clinical definition of disorder you are referring too something like:

What Is a Psychological Disorder?
A psychological disorder, also known as a mental disorder, is a pattern of behavioral or psychological symptoms that impact multiple life areas and/or create distress for the person experiencing these symptoms.

The Clinical (Psych) definition of the term "disorder" is defined as above. Its generally accepted within the psychological camps that this is correct (as it is featured in a number of books i have floating around on various subjects).

Clinical Definition ODD (Source) - I'm going to disregard the remainder of the conditions you have mentioend, if you wish to discuss them please feel free to contact me (or any one else) and/or create another thread discussing them.

ODD, according to my definitions in my latest psych study book (its like a magazine really, and yes sadly i cannot reproduce online without breaching the ATS T&C and the publicaion T&C), however you will find the various ones in your local university library, as a childhood & adolensce disorder, or mental condition depending on the writer. I have not seen any studies that have applied these same symptoms to an adult.

Obviously being my opinion, i dont believe ODD exists as yet, so far the best i can come up with is simply disobedient children being well disobedient. However the cases i've read of course are bias to the same opinion i am.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Spruk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Fan..Friggin' Tastic...Folks.

I'll see ya in the nearest State mental facility.

I will be the crazy one in the corner...holding the sign that reads..."deny ignorance".

Either that or, it will say..."I'm really not crazy....I promise"

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Didn't this used to just be called anti-authoritarian? I've been a proud anti-authoritarian as long as I can remember.

A rebel. Pure and true. Just like 95% of the members on this site. Silly doctors and their labels, trying to push their medications and diagnosis on us. Don't they know we could give a damn about their opinions?

...this planet has become utterly pussified. Keep your pills, pass the whiskey and hemp.
edit on 28-8-2012 by becomingaware because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

if you dont fall in line like the other little chinese robots, you are ODD. (the name makes me think this is just a farse)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Casual diagnoses can be fun & entertaining: ODD is not "new"--your linked DSM IV-TR pages are from 2000 & it was also included in the original 1994 DSM IV. It's also not an adult diagnosis--that would likely be Antisocial or Dissocial Personality Disorder (APD/DPD) & they are not new and none of these are US-specific, but they are based on empirical science...

ODD
DPD
DSM history

edit on 28-8-2012 by OlafMiacov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
WOW Thanks, I never ever thought about that, my son was labeled odd and ad/hd. He's 16 now and not on meds and doing really well! Something I need to think about

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jana12
There's a psychology behind all of this psychology. I think the so-called mental-health experts who come up with this crapola are disordered.

Think Hitler, Stalin, Obama! Are you surpised to see Obama's name associated with such notorious figures from the recent past? As someone here wisely stated - just wait till you see the true horror of Obamacare when it becomes operational. BTW - Obamacare has nothing to do with Obama himself. Look to the power behind the power of the presidency.

Here's two recent articles on the present topic:
LINK - washingtonsblog.com

Are People Being Thrown Into Psychiatric Wards For Their Political Views?
Mental Health Diagnoses Are Sometimes Politically-Motivated
Many psychologists and psychiatrists are good people, who are only trying to help their patients.
But the Nazi government substantially supported psychologists … many of whom, in turn, espoused extermination of the people they considered to be “racially and cognitively compromised”.

Soviet psychiatrists famously aided Stalin in applying fake insanity diagnoses to political dissenters. The official explanation was that no sane person would declaim the Soviet government and Communism.
American psychologists created the American program of torture which was specially-crafted to produce false confessions to justify U.S. military policy.
And authoritarian American psychologists are eager to label anyone “taking a cynical stance toward politics, mistrusting authority, endorsing democratic practices, … and displaying an inquisitive, imaginative outlook” as worthy of a trip to the insane asylum. (Those traits may also get one labeled as a potential terrorist.)
As prominent forensic psychiatrist James Knoll – psychiatry professor at SUNY-Syracuse and director of a forensic fellowship program – writes in the Psychiatric Times:
When psychiatric science becomes co-opted by a political agenda, an unhealthy alliance may be created. It is science that will always be the host organism, to be taken over by political viruses…. [P]sychiatry may come to resemble a new organism entirely — one that serves the ends of the criminal justice system.

LINK

How They Can Brainwash You in a Psych Ward
Jon Rappoport
Infowars.com
August 29, 2012
In the wake of the Batman murders, there is much speculation about what psychiatric drugs James Holmes may have been taking. People are realizing, as never before, the power of these drugs to cause homicidal behavior and damage the brain.

In the case of the Marine, Brandon Raub, the “Facebook thought criminal” who was recently held against his will in a lockup and threatened with the drugs, we see how easy it is for the government to kidnap a citizen and subject him to Soviet-style incarceration.

Washington’s Blog, linked through infowars, has presented a compelling round-up of the reality of forced psychiatric care in America. It is clear that the federal government, on the vaguest of pretexts, can override state laws and put people in psych wards.

edit on 28-8-2012 by de_Genova because: added text

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
This "disorder" is mainly used to identify children with behavioral problems, but what it stopping them from using this diagnosis against people like you and I?

Nothing. Why should you be immune to a mental problem?

Persistent stubbornness
Resistance to directions
Unwillingness to go along with the crowd
Deliberately annoying others
Testing limits by ignoring orders

So anyone standing up against tyranny...

Clearly you interpreted that in a paranoid fashion, which points towards some other diagnose.

Looking at it soberly, the above points has nothing to do with being a threat to "the machine", but how you interact with people. That is, random "hostility" towards everyone around you. It has nothing to do with higher powers. It is an awkward behavior that hinders one from interacting with people properly.
In some cases this is so grave that help is needed if they are to be able to go to school or work.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

While digging through various articles on the recent unlawful detainment of veterans like in the Brandon Raub case, I came across the term Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). Just the name alone activated the alarm bells in my brain, and so I dug a little deeper. ODD is a fairly new "diagnosis" being used to define people who basically go against the grain. This "disorder" is mainly used to identify children with behavioral problems, but what it stopping them from using this diagnosis against people like you and I?

Psychiatrics claim that sufferers have “a recurrent pattern of negativistic, defiant, disobedient, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that persists for at least 6 months” which includes:

Persistent stubbornness
Resistance to directions

So anyone standing up against tyranny... anyone standing up against the global banking cartel... and anyone not absolutely submissive to TPTB could be diagnosed with ODD. For those, like me, who are wondering just how exactly "they" will take firearms away from lawful citizens... here is the answer. Get diagnosed with ODD and I bet you fail a background check the next time you attempt to legally purchase a firearm.

ODD

ODD: The War at Home

yea..

the street name for this .. is called.. Rebellion .. or pure stubbornness

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.
edit on 27-8-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

There's another word for this Disorder for anyone over the age of 22 and it does carry over. It's then called Convict. Because this is where this type of behavior leads majority of the time out of Adolescence if not corrected or changed.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Why are they hating on people like me?

Unwillingness to go along with the crowd? They mean be a sheople.

Yes, humanity got where it is at this point in time by people "going along with the crowd". Right.

Unwillingness to follow orders? What, like "Get in the cattle car, Jew" or "Kill those civilians, soldier"?

Insubordination is a natural reaction to tyrannical authoritarianism.

I proudly suffer from this "disorder".

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dieglocke

Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.

There's another word for this Disorder for anyone over the age of 22 and it does carry over. It's then called Convict. Because this is where this type of behavior leads majority of the time out of Adolescence if not corrected or changed.

Yes, just like "A Clockwork Orange". They need to be reconditioned. Reprogrammed, right? Yeah, that's the fascist ticket.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

This "disorder" is mainly used to identify children with behavioral problems, but what it stopping them from using this diagnosis against people like you and I?

Nothing. Why should you be immune to a mental problem?

Persistent stubbornness
Resistance to directions

So anyone standing up against tyranny...

Clearly you interpreted that in a paranoid fashion, which points towards some other diagnose.

Looking at it soberly, the above points has nothing to do with being a threat to "the machine", but how you interact with people. That is, random "hostility" towards everyone around you. It has nothing to do with higher powers. It is an awkward behavior that hinders one from interacting with people properly.
In some cases this is so grave that help is needed if they are to be able to go to school or work.

No it's not how you interact with "people". It's how you interact with CERTAIN people or attitudes, isn't it? How do you define "interacting with people properly"?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
There are so many diagnosis here, that it's basically "everybody's sick". It's an excuse not to help anyone, and an excuse to give jobs to those who basically can't muster it.

There are both negative and positive sides to it ... the positive side to it, that ODD is just another label, everybody's got one. One label, or another label ... we're all sick anyways, right.

The bad side of it, is that since everybody's sick. Just as OP points out, it's gonna be easy to "lock up" dissidents ... after all, they're all sick ... and being labelled sick, isn't that bad ... we all have these labels. But it's gonna end up, like in one of those SCI-FI series, where we're gonna get pills so we'll be cured from our illnesses and think like the mainstream wants us to.

edit on 28/8/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfiniteConsciousness

Originally posted by dieglocke

That's all I got.

Yes, just like "A Clockwork Orange". They need to be reconditioned. Reprogrammed, right? Yeah, that's the fascist ticket.

Im not saying I agree. You are preaching to the choir. but to live in this world unfortunately you must conform or be considered mentally ill. I believe medicating any mental disorder is not the go to be all answer.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

For those, like me, who are wondering just how exactly "they" will take firearms away from lawful citizens... here is the answer. Get diagnosed with ODD and I bet you fail a background check the next time you attempt to legally purchase a firearm.

Here's a tip. Don't apply for a background check. You don't Have To.

It's legal in every state to purchase a used gun, even if it's a day old, from your instate neighbor. You can buy a gun from anyone who's willing to sell one, with no paperwork submitted to anyone.

Now if your going to keep and use that gun you may have to apply for registration in your state but many states have laws that allow you to open carry with no registration at all. Most states let you keep certain types of guns with no paperwork. Look into it in your area.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I am going to stick my hand down everyones pants. If you object I will send for the psychiatrist since you have ODD.

You can't make this s**t up!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
3 million people rallied against the UK government invasion of Iraq. According to these symptoms this means Tony blair and his cabinet had ODD when they went to war.

Do we want people with ODD in office?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join