It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Mass Graves Unearthed In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Mass graves with scores of people, many believed to be women and children have been unearthed in Iraq. These people were believed to have been executed by the Saddam Hussein Regime and are expected to be used against him as war crimes in his trial.

cnn.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. forces have exhumed a mass grave site in northwestern Iraq and uncovered the remains of scores of people.

Many of the bodies found at the site near al-Hatra are believed to be the bodies of Kurdish women and children thought slaughtered by the Saddam Hussein regime.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Greg Kehoe, the head of the Regime Crime Liaison Office and leader of the forensic excavation claims that the site of the mass graves is a "perfect place for execution." He was also reported as saying that the site is a "killing field."

The site was found a year ago by US Army forces. 2 trenches have been excavated and it is believed that there could be at least 12 in the area. 1 trench contains the remains of men, and the 2nd trench contains the bodies of women and children. It appears that at least 200 total bodies have been found thus far.

Related ATS Discussion
Babies found in new mass grave in Iraq

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
How convenient... nothing like a few "mass graves" to stir up a bit of sentimate in the masses. Funny how these things crop up at times when the government needs them...

TCR

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The timing could be considered suspect. Whether it was intentional or not, obviously I have no clue. No one posting on this board does unfortunately. ( meaning the average Joe) Something like this used for political gain disgusts me if it were the case though.

Again timing nonwithstanding, it is yet another example of what the previous regime was capable of. It also makes me wonder how many other sites like this we are currently aware of in Iraq. I imagine the famlies of the victims would like to properly intern their relatives as soon as possible.

I understand logistics etc, but a year is a long time to wait...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by webvida
How convenient... nothing like a few "mass graves" to stir up a bit of sentimate in the masses. Funny how these things crop up at times when the government needs them...

Funny how people think there's a conspiracy behind everything. Please stay off the weed and save what's left of your brain cells.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Originally posted by webvida

Funny how people think there's a conspiracy behind everything. Please stay off the weed and save what's left of your brain cells.

Funny how people, when questioning news reports are automatically branded as a conspiracy nut? Dude, maybe you need to smoke some becouse nobody here said there is a conspiracy. They were just vocalising other possibilities, other than what they are being told. In other words they were practicing being an American. You must live in a box if you think the news does not lie or streatch the truth. You must be very niave and gullable to not be able to think of other possibilities other than what you are told. I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Really cheap too.

Edit: grammer

[edit on 13-10-2004 by jmilici]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
There's nothing political about the timing here at all.

Digging up mass graves is part of the process of bringing charges against Saddam. Is it not news worthy to show a mass grave containing hundreds of men, women, and children?

Saddam's regime killed hundreds of thousands over 20 years or more - fact. The west doesn't 'need' this story to prove anything to the world.
Hell, the guy gassed a whole village in the 80's killing 5,000 in an afternoon. Something which was shown all around the world.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Isn't this story actually about the mass grave being exhumed to gather evidence against Saddam, and not about the discovery of a new mass grave? It says that this grave was discovered over a year ago.

No new mass grave just popped up.

It's a story about work being done on an old mass grave.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lister
There's nothing political about the timing here at all.

Digging up mass graves is part of the process of bringing charges against Saddam. Is it not news worthy to show a mass grave containing hundreds of men, women, and children?

Saddam's regime killed hundreds of thousands over 20 years or more - fact. The west doesn't 'need' this story to prove anything to the world.
Hell, the guy gassed a whole village in the 80's killing 5,000 in an afternoon. Something which was shown all around the world.

That's funny because I thought subsequent investigation had demonstrated that Iran had actually been responsible for gassing the Kurds at Halabjah. Or at least partly so.

And, even if Iraq had gassed the Kurds, well, so what? We armed Iraq with chemical weapons-fact. We gave them chemical weapons to use on Iran-fact. The Kurds were allied with Iran--fact. So if it was ok for Iraq to use chemical weapons on Iran, then, seeing as the Kurds were working with Iran, it logically follows that gassing Kurds was ok as well. You can't say that it is ok to use chemical weapons one year and then a few years down the road decide that it was immoral. And sympathy for the Kurds is not something America has a lot of, you know seeing as we pretty much screwed them at the end of Gulf War I. And we pretty much screwed them this time around. And we could give a damn if Turkey has mass graves with hundreds of thousands of Kurds burried in them. Which brings me to another point--why does Turkey get NATO membership and billions in aid when they have the very same mass graves as Iraq filled with the very same dead Kurds? And why is it fine for Turkey to kill a Kurd with a bullet, but an Iraqi using gas on the very same Kurd is a war criminal?

So would a country that values the life of Kurd only insofar as they are useful for propaganda conveinently find a mass grave? Probably. I mean after all the ridiculous crap we pulled to have an excuse to invade Iraq, why does anyone think we're above manufacturing more nonsense at this point?

top topics

join