It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aztec and Norse god of war are both missing one hand.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Interesting, there must be a connection.

*sigh*
I love it when somebody points out that an entire argument is built upon a completely faulty premise, and everybody ignores that fact and continues to say stuff like "there must be a connection." I guess logic and facts are not a requirement for persuasive arguments these days?

There is no evidence that the Aztec god he speaks of had only one hand. In fact, that statue clearly shows him with two hands.
On top of that, there is not one mention, not a single one, in any of the myths surrounding that god in which it mentions him having one hand or losing a hand at any point. They go into detail about every aspect of his life, and not a single mention of a missing hand.
But by all means, let's just blatantly ignore the facts...
If anybody can show me a single picture of this god which shows that he has a missing hand, or a single mention ANYwhere of him having only one hand, i will eat my shoes.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Interesting, there must be a connection.

That also explains why Hollywood keeps dropping hints and leaving us clues.
It's up to us to connect the dots.

The nature of this forum effects my ability to tell if this is is sarcasm or serious, but either way i love me some army of darkness and wish I thought of it.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Here's a possible explanation: it's a coincidence.

In traditional metaphysics, the two hands of the body represent the two poles of universal manifestation: good and evil. In the case of war, there is no room for the good. War - at least in terms of how it's been fought by pagan empires - is an entirely merciless affair. So, perhaps this conjunction in design in the gods of wars of both the Aztecs and Norse reflect a common perception in how war is to be fought - or in what war essentially is: the absence of mercy. Therefore, the hands - which represent the manifestation of a quality - are imbalanced: the right hand, symbolizing the quality of good, is missing. War is a manifestation of chaos - and chaos is in it's very nature unbalanced, disordered.

I don't know why you need to start bringing into this questions of ages etc. It can be explained much more simply by analyzing what hands represent.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
There is also a Celtic version..

Nuada in Celtic Mythology

He lost a hand/arm and wore a silver one in its place.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by lostinspace

In ancient times when a great warrior was captured they would chop off his hand to weaken him; what is a great warrior without his strong hand for he can no longer fight.

Good point. Then why would a culture continue to show their war god in a weakened position?

because Tyr made a sacrifice for the good of all. he gave his hand so that the beast Fenrir would be chained. As Thor will give his life killing the world serpent. The same as Odin giving his eye for wisdom of the ages from Mimir's well. The norse gods are a more personal kind of godhood. They don't listen to wishes and wants, they say "do for yourself!" "we gave you steel so that you would be free, not kneeling obedience!"
my favorite subject, next to mars as they are the gods i follow and look up to.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The Scandinavian homeland has the easiest path to North America. Let's look at the meaning of the name Aztlan

"Place of heron" or "Place of egrets"

en.wikipedia.org...

It has also been suggested that it means "Place of whiteness"

Here are some known voyages of the Vikings from Scandinavia to North America.

Here's a satellite view of Scandinavia: Norway, Sweden and Finland all covered in wintertime snow.

Maybe a few ancient Norse vessels shipwrecked onto the North America coast and the survivors blended with the native cultures. The Aztecs probably migrated from cold North America to warm Mexico.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Great post, I believe that there is a connection to be made there somewhere, yet what I'm wondering about is that if the religion and culture are so similar, then could there be a line genealogically? Perhaps, yet I'll stay tuned for more.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You blew my mind. That was a stellar find!! There is nothing like this elsewhere in history that I know of.

Awesome.
edit on 25-8-2012 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thanks for all your complements. It also blew my mind when I was researching the information.

I understand the skepticism from the other posters. This could all be a coincidence. I was hesitant in creating this thread at first. After I read up on the ending of the sun and the violent earthquakes of Ragnarok I had to post this information.

You know, you have to share your secrets with your fellow ATSers on Abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
There is also a Celtic version..

Nuada in Celtic Mythology

He lost a hand/arm and wore a silver one in its place.

Thanks for providing this link. I never knew that information.

It was the clever god Dian Cecht who in part solved this problem, by making a silver arm to replace the one that Nuada had lost. And it was at this time that the former king received the title “Nuada Argetlamh”, or “Nuada of the Silver Hand”.

www.mythography.com...

With silver being shiny and reflective I can understand why the circular object in Huitzilopochtli hand is called a mirror. In other images it definitely looks metallic.

This Celtic god's name was Nuada which appears similar to the name of the Nahua peoples.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahatche

I'm not knowledgeable enough on this subject to address anything else, but this looks more like the hand broke off instead of being left off intentionally.

Interesting possibility.

Now the question arises.

Did the statue come first [With a broken off hand] and later generations saw the missing hand and went with that as part of his description? Also, He is a god of war. So it figures that he and the Norse god could possibly show signs of combat. A missing hand would seem like a reasonable wound sustained in combat so....

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
it's the connection of myths. you guys should read some joseph campbell. From Luke Skywalker on - the maimed hero is a very old myth told in many different societies / religions / etc...

Maimed & Blind Mythological Heros

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That could be true. I wonder where this statue was originally housed at Tenochtitlan?

Did archeologists automatically assumed this to be Huitzilopochtli just because the hand was broken off?

There had to have been an object in that hand. It was probably worth some value. It could have been made of silver and the Spanish took it for themselves when Cortez came to Mexico.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Wow very eye opening thread. Two thumbs up . I really want to give you a extra big hand for this work. "The maimed hero ". Wow so cool. Just when you think you know all the symbolds, bam. It's been in plain sight all right there. Very cool work.
S+f
edit on 25-8-2012 by dntwastetime because: blug

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace What is interesting about this god is a legend recorded in the Aubin Codex. It says the Aztecs were originally from a place called Aztlan and it was Huitzilopochtli who ordered them to leave and find a new home which became Tenochtitlan.

Aztlan?

Drop the z

=

Atlan(tis)

Crazy stuff.

I love it.
edit on 25-8-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
Wow very eye opening thread. Two thumbs up . I really want to give you a extra big hand for this work. "The maimed hero ". Wow so cool. Just when you think you know all the symbolds, bam. It's been in plain sight all right there. Very cool work.
S+f
edit on 25-8-2012 by dntwastetime because: blug

Thanks. I enjoyed sharing this.

Maybe it's a needed Paradigm shift.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Originally posted by lostinspace What is interesting about this god is a legend recorded in the Aubin Codex. It says the Aztecs were originally from a place called Aztlan and it was Huitzilopochtli who ordered them to leave and find a new home which became Tenochtitlan.

Aztlan?

Drop the z

=

Atlan(tis)

Crazy stuff.

I love it.
edit on 25-8-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

You're not the first to propose Aztlan to be the legendary Atlantis. Both cities were surrounded by water which qualifies it to be a candidate.

The Aztec Legend of Aztlan - Was Aztlan Atlantis?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 007Polytoks

Could you please provide the quote of the bible saying Man was built in our image? I'm having difficulties finding it myself.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SepticSceptic

The poster didn't write "Man was built in our image" he wrote "in our image"

As for your query

>

New International Version (©1984)
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

New Living Translation (©2007)
Then God said, "Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."

English Standard Version (©2001)
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Then God said, "Let us make humans in our image, in our likeness. Let them rule the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the domestic animals all over the earth, and all the animals that crawl on the earth."

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

American King James Version
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.

American Standard Version
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the heavens, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth.

Darby Bible Translation
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the heavens, and over the cattle, and over the whole earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth on the earth.

English Revised Version
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Webster's Bible Translation
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping animal that creepeth upon the earth.

World English Bible
God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the sky, and over the livestock, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Young's Literal Translation
And God saith, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness, and let them rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that is creeping on the earth.'

Also...
To be fair

>

New International Version (©1984)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

New Living Translation (©2007)
So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

English Standard Version (©2001)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
So God created humans in his image. In the image of God he created them. He created them male and female.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

Darby Bible Translation
And God created Man in his image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

English Revised Version
And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
God created man in his own image. In God's image he created him; male and female he created them.

Young's Literal Translation
And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them.

Linky

edit on 26-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Overkill, but much obliged. "In our image"??? Wow, the cogs in my head are moving,very dangerous. Thanks for the heads up.

It is very interesting to see all of these cultures have very similar stories/traits. I heard of cultures having their own stories concerning the great flood, but not of one armed Gods of war. Is there a central source?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join