It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon wants killer satellites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The pentagon relizes that more and more nations are launching satellites into space or have future plans to do so, and the pentagon plans to keep there domination in space, So there developing Satellites that will either shoot a projectile at the satellite to distroy it, or have a knetic energy satellite that uses itself to smash into another satellite, or ones that can block and/or jamm the incoming signal, and everyones favorite the "grabber", it's a satellite that has an arm on it so it can reach our and grab an enemy satellite and disorient the satellite and what ever country owns it wont know why its malfunctioning.

Satellite VS Satellite

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Murcielago

Good find. For centuries they key to warfare has been securing the high ground. The USAF has expanded that vision to include space. As more and more countries gain the ability to place things in Orbit, the more important it will become. Just taking out the GPS constellation would cause a huge amount of Chaos. China, beyond the pride issue of having a space program, no doubt is interested in the high ground as well. It sounds like good planning to be to have the capacity to blind your foes eyes and ears.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
It's funny how there was a mandate passed to ban the weaponsization of space, yet that is exactly what the US is making extensive plans to begin doing.....to be honest I hope any attempts to weaponise space will be literally vapourised by the (hopefully they exist) ever vigilant, GOOD aliens.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
It's funny how there was a mandate passed to ban the weaponsization of space, yet that is exactly what the US is making extensive plans to begin doing

If I recall the proposal is for ground based launchers. Not spaced based. The bottom line is that the future of warfare will have a huge space component. Once lasers ssytems are portected ints enevitiable that they will be emplaced in space.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
That would be just like the US government to do something like that. An unprovoked act of war on another country.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
That would be just like the US government to do something like that. An unprovoked act of war on another country.

They wouldn't be used to take out every enemy satellite just because we feel like it. They would only be used if an enemy nation launch a weapon in to space or if we were on the verge and about to go to war with a country.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's a good Idea.

Our military would be crippled if our GPS satelites were shot down. Everything is tied in to them now.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

Give me a break. It is not an act of war to put stuff in space. Space is the next phase of warfare. Better we dominate it now then let someone else get to it first.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think it's a long time overdue. With space travel moving into the private sector, our satellites are becoming more vulnerable to enemy attack. We need satellites where their job is to patrol other satellites and dis-orient satellites that may pose a threat to the security of our nation.

I would also like to see a space force (of actual soldiers) that their mission would be to deploy into space and strike anywhere in the world at a moments notice. They could be trained to intercept enemy satellites that our killer satellites can't intercept as quickly as an earth bound launch or there has been a counter-measure built into the threatening satellite.

Way to go Murcielago!
I like this post.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Murcielago awesome post, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Isn't this basically Reagan's (Ray-Guns?) Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars)?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It�s probably based on some of the �star wars� research but this targets enemy satellites by destroying or �jamming� their communications satellites.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I enjoyed your input on my recent thread Space War - Us Claims Superiority www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also enjoyed your pictures on the Rods from God. Thanks.

I wanted to post a quote from that story into your thread as I think it has --relevance here with the Satellite -Vs-Satellite topic.

Besides destroying enemy ICBMs, space-based lasers would also be designed to disrupt or destroy enemy satellites and knock out high- flying enemy aircraft or cruise missiles.

Satellite killers, 'bodyguards'

The Air Force has plans for a variety of weapons to protect U.S. satellites, and to destroy or disable enemy satellites. They are known collectively as anti-satellite (ASAT) weapons. Some would be based in space. Others would be on the ground, on ships, or mounted on airplanes. Some would be directed energy weapons (lasers or high-powered microwaves). Some would have explosive warheads, and some would destroy a target by running into it.

An ASAT weapon that could be used for both defense and offense is described in an Air Force 2025 study. "Satellite bodyguards" would consist of approximately five satellites placed in close proximity to the satellite being protected. Some would be decoys. Others would be "hunter-killers," armed with directed energy weapons to blind or destroy enemy ASAT weapons. The "hunter-killer" satellites would be designed to detect space-based threats themselves and receive warnings from Earth.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I don't like the idea of weaponizing space in the first place but also any satellite destroyed would create debris that would probably stay there for a while and could just cause problems for other satellites.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The best idea is a satellite that can thrust its tarket back into earths atmosphere thereby burning it up and keeping debris out of space.

The only disadvantage of the US taking this strategy is the prospect of other nations just launching rockets full of iron filings to render some orbits virtually useless, (as they cannot afford these expensive sats) which would effectively destroy US weapons platforms and force them to launch more in different orbits.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Nooo this is a bad idea what enemies? Russia? The global terrorist threat on the verge of launching sattalites are they? It's just a bigger stick to wave at people who don't do what the US goverment tells them to do, waste of money.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The next level of escalation of the space race once the US and others create satellite killers will be:

1) Highly maneuverable orbiting satellites which can avoid an attack.
2) Short notice backup launch systems. (GPS is shot down, new GPS is launched in 8 hours from random ballistic missle silos around the country and reaches configured orbit pattern w/in 24 hours of launch).

Just a guess.

E_T

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
...to be honest I hope any attempts to weaponise space will be literally vapourised by the (hopefully they exist) ever vigilant, GOOD aliens.
Wrong target, they should just target to every extremist, that would be much easier on long term.

"All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."
-Albert Einstein

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesUK
Nooo this is a bad idea what enemies? Russia? The global terrorist threat on the verge of launching sattalites are they? It's just a bigger stick to wave at people who don't do what the US goverment tells them to do, waste of money.

Have you ever heard of Iran, Syria, North Korea, Maybe Russia in the future, as well as China. China & Russia are future ones that if they play there cards right they wont be on this list.

chaosrain
The next level of escalation of the space race once the US and others create satellite killers will be:

1) Highly maneuverable orbiting satellites which can avoid an attack.
2) Short notice backup launch systems. (GPS is shot down, new GPS is launched in 8 hours from random ballistic missle silos around the country and reaches configured orbit pattern w/in 24 hours of launch).

Just a guess.

Bad guess.

Just so ya know, The US keeps 3-4 extra GPS satellites in space, The GPS Constellation needs 24 satellites and currently the US has 27, I believe, But there about to launch another one in a couple of weeks. GPS Satellites cost several millions, so it wouldn't be economical to build them and then just put them it a roon until one falls out of the sky. Plus the missile silos weren't designed for that purpose, a new guidance system would need to be in the rocketes, but I doubt the rocket would have enough juice to make it to the right altitude.

and a highly maneuverable satellite would be very hard to design, it would need thrusters on it, which need fuel and an oxidizer, so that will add to the launch weight, and once your out of fuel, your dodging days are over.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

We need satellites where their job is to patrol other satellites and dis-orient satellites that may pose a threat to the security of our nation.

yeah cuz god forbid our cell phone service is terminated

they want space supirioty so rival nations can not spy on our leaders, like we do alqeada. how do you think we know to blow up a specific building 10000 miles away from here? if we can do it they can do it, and that means tracking the president and leaders of office all around the country, and being able to strike them. this is excaclty what our govt does not want. space defense is about protecting and insuring our military and technological supiriority. are leaders are just as paranoid as us, and rightly so.

[edit on 14-10-2004 by sturod84]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join