It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Chechen Terrorists Have Entered the US Through Mexico.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
A group of Chechen terrorists seemed to have illegally entered the US through Mexico in July. The group is suspected of having ties with Islamic terrorists seeking to separate Chechnya from Russia according to an intelligence report.
The intelligence report which, as stated by the Washington Times article, was provided to the US government in "late August or early September." US officials say the source of this information has proven reliable in the past, but some are warning that this is being investigated and they "do not know whether or not the report is true."

washingtontimes.com
It could not be learned whether the reported infiltration is related to the recent Education Department warning to school officials to examine security in the aftermath of the attack last month by pro-Chechnya Muslim terrorists on a school in Russia, in which more than 300 people were killed and some 700 wounded.

The Education Department letter said that school officials should examine "protective measure guidance" for helping to prevent and respond to a similar terrorist attack, were it to occur in the United States.

The letter stated that indicators of terrorist surveillance before an attack include interest in site plans for schools, bus routes and attendance lists from persons who don"t normally request such information.

Authorities also were advised to remain alert for "static surveillance" by people who may be disguised as panhandlers, shoeshiners, newspaper or flower vendors, or street sweepers who seem out of place in a particular area.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this report is true, and if we take seriously the recent report that was given by the education department, then it seems as if radicals are looking to attack some of our schools, althou it is early yet to determine if this information is reliable as the article states.

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com

[edit on 13-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I am sure that this is acurate judging by the media coverage but does any one else find it hard to believe that with 15 count them again 15 intelligence agencies in the USA and we still can't stop known Chechnyan rebels from corssing the border W.O.W.

"I plan on living forever, so far, so good."
quote by unknown

[edit on 10/13/2004 by geocom]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
I am sure that this is accurate judging by the media coverage but does any one else find it hard to believe that with 15 count them again 15 intelligence agencies in the USA and we still can't sto[ known Chechnyan rebels from corssing the border sheesh.

"I plan on living forever, so far, so good."
quote by unknown

That is the problem with porous borders and lax border patrols. We could have plenty of intelligence that a couple dozen Chechens were somewhere near the US-Mexico border. With thousands (?) going back and forth over those borders every day illegally, you're not going to find a Chechen among them--especially if they enlisted experienced smugglers who are used to transporting human cargo over the border. You might by dumb luck of course catch some of them in sweeps or something. We've known the borders are a problem since before 9/11 and nothing much has been done about it. Without getting into the question of whether we ought to allow migrant workers and whatnot into the US, having large porous borders when you're going around the world and pissing off a lot of people is just dumb. But couple our porous borders on both sides, another wink link via ocean shipping (again, not terribly difficult to smuggle people in cargo containers into Long Beach or Houston for instance), and lax visa/immigration laws, yeah, it isn't a big surprise Chechens snuck into the US. The only surprise for me would be if this were the only cell to get into the US as I'd actually expect there would easily be dozens of such cells given the ease of entry here. And actually the fact that we even have good intelligence on this is a surprise--no border security and piss poor intelligence is a bad combination. Hell, at least we have an inkling that something is up.

On a positive note, good thing American kids have guns. One would hope the psycho Chechens would be so out of touch with American culture they'd pick a school filled with disaffected Columbine-types or with gang kids who will be quick to get on the cell and call in back up. Then again, one would hope Russia would just nuke Chechnya already and be done with it the whole problem....

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I wonder if this story is in any way related to the story of the information of some US schools were found on a computer disk in Iraq? One of the schools that was on the disk is in my town. The info in the article of the Macon Telegraph said that it included blueprint information, bus routes, etc on that disk. The principal of the school sent a letter to all parents telling them not to worry blah blah...but be on the lookout for static surveillance. A large amount of police have been stationed at the school for the last week or so.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sport Kensington
I wonder if this story is in any way related to the story of the information of some US schools were found on a computer disk in Iraq? One of the schools that was on the disk is in my town. The info in the article of the Macon Telegraph said that it included blueprint information, bus routes, etc on that disk. The principal of the school sent a letter to all parents telling them not to worry blah blah...but be on the lookout for static surveillance. A large amount of police have been stationed at the school for the last week or so.

That was a seeding technique used to gear the public for possible attack of this type. Why in hell would a terrorist download school floor plans he found on the Internet and then oops, the disk fell into the hands of Americans who of course scan every disk they can find in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I live in Niagara Falls, on the American side, and on Monday, they arrested 2 men- foreign, and not US Citizens, although they didn't list their nationalities. The men were apparently photographing the bridges that link the US and Canada, and were somehow caught.

I'm friends with a local police officer, who said that they were concerned that the men may have been scoping out schools in the area, but I called the local school district's PR office, and they denied that.

It seems very odd to me that all of this is going on a) so close to the elections, b) so close to the announcement that school floor plans were found in Iraq, and c) so soon after the announcement that Chechen Rebels may have entered the US.

We'll see what unfolds, I guess.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This doesn't make any sense the Chechans would gain nothing attacking the US. All it would do would be to allow Putin even less international scrutiny when dealing with Chechnya. Wait.... maybe it's a Russian operation.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
1) Washington TImes - not a credible news source due to the Rev. Sung-Yun Moon ownership and usage as a GOP propaganda front. ( note: always go to the home page of a link, or cut the address down to see the core behind the source. For example, this is the WT's front page - Bush seeks to paint a Liberal, 3 Strikes for Kerry? and a big ad selling UNFIT FOR COMMAND )

2) Drudge - Gossip queen of the Right Wing

3) Chechen rebels - zero care or capability in attacking anyone else BUT Russia.

The crowd control mechanism of unsubstantiated fear has been used excessively by this Administration; the Russian school take over was wonderful fodder to perpetuate that.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm leaning toward this being all just BS. I've seen this reported as detailed as 25 of them coming in wearing backpacks. Who supposedly saw them? Who saw there were 25 people and knew their nationality and knew they were terrorists? IF these 25 people exist my guess is... the US Government. That is who. If these guys really exist and they really came into the country and were identified as terrorists from Chechnya that I'd guarantee our government was behind it.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It sounds a little unfeasible, but not totally unplausible.

I would bet that a great deal of the "America at Threat" stories disappear after the election is complete.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Just a thought, It takes alot of Cash to make a revolution (Chechen) & Osma, we know is looking for people who can pass in the US (White people) and they ARE Muslim and radical. So the connection really isnt that far conceived.

My question is Can the normal Chechen pass as an American (non muslim)? If so. they Have Tremendous Value.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
This doesn't make any sense the Chechans would gain nothing attacking the US. All it would do would be to allow Putin even less international scrutiny when dealing with Chechnya. Wait.... maybe it's a Russian operation.

Senseless. No one has opposed the russians in their actions against the chechynan rebellion, and if anything that school massacre over there stired up public sentiment more than enough. By attacking US schools it embroils the whole region in a war, with the US and Russia on one side (the 'old atheistic enemies' of the previous generation) and the jihadiis on the other. It makes perfect sense from the chechyan rebel's perspective.

shiftrio
My question is Can the normal Chechen pass as an American (non muslim)?

Since the 911 hijackers had absolutely no problem passing as regular folk this seems to be a non-issue. Also, er, chechynans are from the caucus region no? They're, literally, caucasians no?

TCR

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm very suprised at the label "Chechen" being used here. I see very little in the way on incentive for this specific group to plan operations on the U.S. mainland. They have enough to keep them busy as is. They also have some very specific reasoning and disagreement with Putin and the Russian government.

I imagine people could make the claim of fundraising in the U.S. However, there is no need to sneak in through Mexico for that. Everyone and his brother has some sort of money operation in the U.S going already.

No doubt terrorists could enter through the border in places like rain water down a gutter. No disrepect intended for those Border agents and others trying to help matters. But we are still too porous and don't have the resources nor the laws to handle it in a truly effective manner.

Basically, I believe that it happens, and we have a problem (several) on the borders..but this specific story just doesn't ring true to me. Just my two cents

edit: forgot this comment. I guess I can see your point Nygan. But looking at the two possible scenarios from such a plan for a moment.. If the U.S did begin operations in that region, it would be much worse for Chechens. The Russians aren't using many of the high technology resources we are at present. The Russians involved in the conflict aren't the diciplined troops that the former USSR could have fielded years ago. Many are conscripts, and young. They receive poor training, meager pay, and older equipment.

The average U.S soldier is a different beast altogether. The Chechens don't want that kind of heat. IMHO of course

The other scenario is that we don't do anything other than intel info for Putin. If even that. The Russians have made it very clear they don't want us poking our noses into Chechnya. So any actual operations in the region by us are VERY slim. Also, any marked attack by Chechen groups in the U.S would practically end any support they have in the U.S Suprisingly a good number of people do feel some sympathy for their plight. ( The Chechen people, not specific terrorists) The school incident recently was a huge blow no doubt.. So I seriously don't foresee something like that stateside.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by TCR]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Since the 911 hijackers had absolutely no problem passing as regular folk this seems to be a non-issue. Also, er, chechynans are from the caucus region no? They're, literally, caucasians no?

Population of the Caucausus looks different from what you call "caucasian". They definitely look more "middle eastern" although different from arabs. Most Georgians, Armenians and Azerbaijanis would not look like a white American to you. Chechens are somewhat closer.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
My question is Can the normal Chechen pass as an American (non muslim)? If so. they Have Tremendous Value.

I would say they can pass without getting noticed.

Here's a picture of a Chechen woman suspected of training suicide bombers:

She could be Americanized without too much difficulty.

Some of the Chechens have an Arab look but others could pass for American if they dressed in western clothes.

I don't think you would have to worry about them though, they would have no reason to launch an attack in America.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
what is a better reason then $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They are radical muslims looking to attacking westeners and if they can benefit from ALQ in the way of huge sums of money for the people in their homeland to fight the fight against the Russians then I think that could give them plenty of incentive to make a terrorist strike in the US. The sense of adventure, the sense of pride that they are doing this for the support of the fellow Chechnyan's etc.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
No reason publically known that is. There may be a reason, or not. What reason more do they need than being told they cannot do something.

Sounds like more scare tactics propaganda, which I hope it is. If for some reason the info is true, the election/s might have something to do with it.

Timing is everything is it not.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
when is everyone going to realize that we are not engaged in an isolated conflict w/ osama Bin laden, but rather in a global battle against radical Islam...w/ countless fronts and groups manifesting the enemy.

The very future of Western Civilization is at stake.

maybe some people do not want to accept it, but its true nevertheless.

TCR

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
No reason publically known that is. There may be a reason, or not. What reason more do they need than being told they cannot do something.

Sounds like more scare tactics propaganda, which I hope it is. If for some reason the info is true, the election/s might have something to do with it.

Timing is everything is it not.

You raise some good points. There may be reasons beyond what we are privy to. That is a distinct possibility, although I admit I find it less likely than other possibilities. Oh, and I agree that timing for anything like this is important. Good point there as well.

I still remain unconvinced that if this occured, it was a Chechen group involved specifically.

Moxyone, I agree with your premise that this is not an isolated conflict, but a larger war in progress. I don't think anyone here has suggested otherwise. That being true or not doesn't make the facts of this particular incident true or false however. Your logic has skipped a couple of frames there
No slight intended. I guess the best possiblity in my eyes was raised by another member here. Making the assumption that this is valid and proven, they may be planning an operation for monetary reasons. I still find it highly unlikely however, Just my opinion of course.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I don't think you would have to worry about them though, they would have no reason to launch an attack in America.

Why do so many people think this? The rebel in chechyna are terrorists, not a regular army, they know they can't throw the russians out thru normal combat operations, they want regionwide conflict, they want global chaos because then they have a chance of holding off till every other country pulls out of the region after being involved in a long nasty guerilla war. Attacking the US would be brilliant (well, from their warped perspective) because it would result in having the US and Russia ('secular' 'atheistic' governments) attacking devout muslim-jihadis. Its the same as the school massacre, there was no tactical objective there, but there was a politico-strategic one. Same with attacking the US. THe US won't be able to operate in a wider war alongside the Russians in the middle east without drawing in other regional powers and forcing the hand of the general population over there to take a side. At least not in the way the terrorists seem to be thinking. What they don't realize, unfortunately, is that at worst the middle east is going to end up as a set of 'New Colonies" or 'International Mandates' like it was before, and at best as somewhat backwards and very weak quasi-republics (rather than the calpihates that alqaida are looking for)
Having said that, the sources are questionable, let alone -how- the actual witness knew they were of all things checnyan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join