It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far will Edwards go...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Christopher Reeve just passed away, and America just lost a great champion for this cause,

After calling Bush voters dumb, I truly did not think he could top it, but here he goes again....

when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again.

Now, I think this is the lowest thing I have ever heard. This man is not even in the ground and he is bieng used by a political party for promotion of their own agenda regarding stem cell research.

link to article...www.rushlimbaugh.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well it makes more sense to bring it up now than to let another few thousand lesser-known Americans die from diseases that are likely to be cureable. Reeve's fought for stem-cell research ever since it was discovered.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Edwards says alot of things.

Most of which you can just toss out the window.

He is on the 'sales stage' behind the podium right now.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Sorry, but that is not my point. I agree with stem cell research, I disagree with the Kerry marketing campaign as such. It makes sense to bring it up in the correct forum.

I am suprised he didn't say it is time for respect in this country, and if John Kerry is elected president, people like Rodney Dangerfield might get respect.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Would you of preferred:

"When John Kerry is President, people like Ronald Reagan, wouldn't have alzheimer's."

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I would perfer than Edwards goes back to what he does best, Chase Ambulances.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I don't see the problem and agree with taibunsuu on this one. Mr Reeve stood in the front line of promoting and fighting for the support of this research. I doubt he'd mind Kerry using his name in this issue.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by Durden]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The amazing thing about Edwards claim is that Stem Cell research will not be able to repair damaged spinal cords. When someones spinal cord is damaged scar tissue forms and it is that scar tissue that prohibits the spinal cord from regenerating. So before the stem cells can begin to help Doctors have to be able to remove the scar tissue without killing the patient. This is something that has not yet happened, so once this problem is figured out then Edwards can make the claim that Stem cells can help Spinal Cord injuries.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Honestly this election is revealing the democrat candidates as the lunatic fringe. Kerry constantly parading his Vietnam medals, his wife telling off the american public, and "pretty boy" Edwards doing faith healing and science fiction. All Edwards' claims about cell stem therapy are currently speculation and the ethics thereof nowhere neare exhausted - embryo farming should never be a consideration, there are so many alternatives that could be considered, but the already born are quite willing to either kill the yet to be borns (abortions) or to utilise them as spare parts (ebryonic stem cells).

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The only problem is that Reeves has stated on numerous times that embryonic stem cell research would not help people like him. Reeves was a big big advocate for adult stem cell research. What really bothers me is the fact that embryonic stem cell research is not banned. the fact of the matter is that any one can do embryonic stem cell research if they want. It's just a matter of whether or not the government picks up the tab. If you want stem cell research then make a contrabution to the thousands of scientist who are doing it right now.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well my problem is with they way kerry is portraying stem cell research. How many times have you heard Kerry or Edwards say that Bush has banned stem cell research?

Well here are the facts

Not only did Bush not ban stem cell research, he was the first president to approve federal funding for stem cell research.
In fact the only restriction he placed on federal funding was that it could not be used to support research on embryonic stem cell research which destroyed embryos in order to get the cells, a principle which has been part of federal law since 1996
In point of fact there is over 20 million dollars in federal funds supporting embryonic stem cell research today. The only restricton of any kind is that no embryos are allowed to be destroyed to generate more stem cells.
www.usatoday.com...

Edited for spelling and sentance clarity

[edit on 13-10-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There is still no evidence that stem cell well cure anything. There is just a hope that it will. Like the hope that god will come down and cure us. Is there enough support behind this science to finance it in the private secture.
Its amazing what Kerry bring to the table. Kerry epitomizes why people hate polititions.Thats why he will lose

[edit on 13-10-2004 by snagltooth]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
The amazing thing about Edwards claim is that Stem Cell research will not be able to repair damaged spinal cords. When someones spinal cord is damaged scar tissue forms and it is that scar tissue that prohibits the spinal cord from regenerating. So before the stem cells can begin to help Doctors have to be able to remove the scar tissue without killing the patient. This is something that has not yet happened, so once this problem is figured out then Edwards can make the claim that Stem cells can help Spinal Cord injuries.

Well, that's not entirely true. According to research done on mice at Advanced Cell Technology in Massachusetts, Dr. Robert Lanza, chief medical officer said they managed to replace 40 precent of the scar tissue with the help of cloned stem cells. Source

So I would say this resarch is definetly making head way. Granted, there is still a lot of work to be done before this will be a reality in actual treatment which is why the support of stem cell research is so important.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Exactly Durden, and that is one of the many reasons I support Bush. By authorising federal funding for stem cell research, both embryonic and adult, he has given many researchers resources they may not have otherwse had.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
What bothers me most about embryonic stem cell research is that it smacks of Joseph Mengele and his experiment in Nazi Germany. James Foard a poster on the Free Republic forum wrote an article about Mengele and Stem cell research. He brings out some very good points.

_____

Dr. Mengele preformed thousands of ghoulish experiments on Jewish prisoners during the Third Reich because, well after all, they were going to be exterminated anyway, so why not use them in medical experiments? This is the same rational used by those who wish to use stem cells from living, innocent, human embryos waiting to be born. Yet isn't it true that new research has found that certain cells from bone marrow of fully grown people have the same characteristics of stem cells and work just as well? .... The point is that human life begins at conception; all human life is valuable and sacred, and when we start to chip away at this critical definition of life, even in the name of medical philanthropy for another group of human beings with severe illnesses, then we are creating a "gap" between the haves and the have nots, much greater than the gender gap or any supposed racial gap; we are creating a gap between those who have the right to live and those unborn who do not, and we are exploiting an entire helpless, voiceless segment of the population in the name of eugenics, and we open up a Pandora's box of unimaginable proportions that will stain humanity for hundreds of years.

Mark my words, this is only the beginning. If we justify stem cell research, the next step, over the course of years, will be research on second and third term trimester abortions "in the name of science", and then a new generation will come along already having their sensitivities dulled by the concept of the "non-personhood" of the unborn, and it will be their task to again re-define human life based not on any Biblical sense of the sacredness of all human life, but on the concept of "quality of life" from some impersonal rationalism from a new 'scientific" outlook devoid of any traditional morals.

This same path has been trod before by humanity, and if we follow down those same footsteps, then those who do not learn from history will be doomed to repeat it.

www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by snagltooth
There is still no evidence that stem cell well cure anything. There is just a hope that it will.

Yes, there is absolutely hope - supported by plenty of evidence.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Here's the rub. The source you quoted references heart Scar Tissue which is a world different than spinal cord scar tissue. When the spinal cord is severed as in Christopher Reeves case the spinal cord below the injury withers and dies. In the cases were it is partially severed the cord attempts to grow back but rarely succedes due to the buildup of scar tissue.

www.accessnorth.net...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Why don't we promote the concept of fertility drugs for all people during their childbearing years, it guarantees multiple births. You can choose the healthiest one at birth and put the rest in the freezer as spare parts???

h

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
When the spinal cord is severed as in Christopher Reeves case the spinal cord below the injury withers and dies. In the cases were it is partially severed the cord attempts to grow back but rarely succedes due to the buildup of scar tissue.

Well, there is research that have shown promise in that respect as well.

researchers from the Cambridge University Centre for Brain Repair, in the UK found that they can remove this 'block' by injecting a bacterial enzyme called chondroitinase into the injured cord. The enzyme then breaks down some of the molecules produced by the scar tissue that prevent regeneration. The study, which was carried out on rats, showed that chondroitinase helped the animals to regain a significant amount of neurological function.
Source

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Check out the latest news from Geron

Today they will be having this conference on stem cell development in the areas of Spinal Cord and cancer.
Geron Corp

Menlo Park, CA October 11, 2004 -- Geron Corporation (Nasdaq: GERN) will be presenting an update of the companys product development programs at the BIO Emerging Company Investor Forum in San Francisco on Wednesday, October 13, 2004, at 3:40 p.m. PDT. Thomas B. Okarma, Ph.D., M.D., Gerons president and chief executive officer, will be giving the presentation.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by Tesla]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join