It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Waste Observed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The military industrial complex of which I was part of from 1966 to 1970 is what I want to address here. Anyone who has spent any time in the military can supply additional input I will talk about here.

I started my military career in the Air Force at Amarillo A.F.B. Texas. After completing Technical Training as a Jet Engine Technician my first duty station was at the 461 Field Maintenance Squadron. My initial travel voucher was billed as 6 cents and Two Road Guards.

For the next two years this was home. I was there when the 461 was disbanded and got to watch one of the most disgraceful exhibitions of total waste of valuable tools, equipment and all manner of brand new never used equipment and materiel.

Just before I was transferred to Plattsburgh A.F.B. in late 1968 I saw early one morning a pair of bulldozers between the active north/south runways starting to dig out a trench. I estimate that it was at the very least 200 to 300 yards long and 50 yards or so wide and at least 30 feet or more deep!

Over a period of about two weeks we watched flat bed trucks over and over make dumping runs over to the pit and deposit tons of tools, machinery and every sort of supply items worth literally millions of dollars 1968 dollars to boot! It is not hard to imagine the total waste that is represented here.

The government's policy then as well as now remains basiclly unchanged. This is how the throw away mentality got its start. The tax payers continue to pay the bill! With proper planning and organization this would have never happened but of course the government cain't be bothered with all that nonsense.

The pit has long since been filled up and covered over with a nice growth of grass and weeds but remember what I've told you, that it is still there. If you doubt me get your metal detector and try to prove me wrong. I was there and saw what I saw. This has been duplicated thousands of times over in and out of the country and this waste of valuable treasure must stop I know many of you saw things like this and know where the "BODIES OR BOOTY is burried. This practice must stop now!

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It's just like the same ol' crap about the paying $600 for a screwdriver, or $900 for a toilet seat.... they have to find some type of excuse to justify their bloated budgets so they can get the same amount or more the following year.

Also, have you ever thought about checking back on any of these locations to see about maybe extracting any useable equipment or tools?

P.S. nice to see someone else from Irving on here...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Nice thought but the area is probably restricted because it is between the two active runways still in use there! Eyes Everywhere Eyes Scanning , scanning, scanning!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It seems all government does is waste money. Have you ever considered why the government insists on buying new vehicles all the time rather than hiring mechanics to keep these fleets running for years? If I can keep my 16 year old car in top mechanical condition, why do they need new cars, trucks, vans, etc. every 3-4 years? Is this really cheaper? I guess only Jesus knows....lol

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
i dont think that it is a bad idea...

hell if i was the gov't id be gettin new things every yearrrr

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Yes, it is true that the government does this throughout the bases in the USA, even out at sea.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
It seems all government does is waste money. Have you ever considered why the government insists on buying new vehicles all the time rather than hiring mechanics to keep these fleets running for years? If I can keep my 16 year old car in top mechanical condition, why do they need new cars, trucks, vans, etc. every 3-4 years? Is this really cheaper? I guess only Jesus knows....lol

Yes all the services have personnel to take care of vehicles upkeep and sell them after a few years to get new replacements.

top topics

join