It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Gauge Slug - Bane of Engine Block's, King of Armour-Piercing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind trying some of those slugs in the first vid, looks interesting.As for regular Foster style slugs,they are quite soft and not much for penetration. I've build backstops of mixed wood boards screwed together too about a foot thick, and had no trouble stopping slugs at 75 yards or so.

Lots of people,including F&G officers use the 12 guage with slugs in dealing with bears. The Fosters work but have proven to be rather limited in penetration. Brenneke's are quite poplular, as they are quite a bit harder and penetrate considerably more. I can't find them here in Canada,so I ended up using Challengers instead,which are a harder composition and also are not hollow like the Fosters.They fly with the wad attached, which tends to aid in straight penetration.

Foster style slugs are usually hollow,soft lead,with rifling grooves on the exterior. When fired,the hollow base expands,forcing the grooves against he barrel and imparting spin,at least in theory. Works good for light thin skined game, but doesn't work so well in penetrating heavy bone or,I would imagine, armor.

<< 1   >>

join