It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Channel agenda against off road vehcicles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Every year, public land used by off road vehicles is being closed off and less and less public land is available to those responsible offroaders who wish to explore freely without the threat of legal problems.

The majority of offroaders are responsible people who care about the land they use, leaving it better than they found it, cleaning up messes of others, and genuinely care about saving the land for people to use in all ways for generations.

We care about the land just as much as the "environmentalist" trying to keep us out. They use negative stereotypes saying we destroy the land, trash it, and kill life. While unfortunately this only happens from a small percentage of offroaders, the ones who care about the land are fighting an uphill fight to keep it open.

One of the biggest supports in the fight to keep public land free is Tread Lightly.

But on Sunday, August 19th, Discovery Channel premiered a new offroading show called One Car Too Far and to paraphrase a comment on the Discovery Facebook page, "It has set Tread Lightly back 10 years".

Their Facebook page and on other ORV message boards are filled with comments like these.

In the show, two men in a Jeep blatantly do the opposite of what responsible offroading means. They fly through the woods, running over trees, plowing through plant life, and making every bad stereotype about offroading come to life in the hour show.

Why would the Discovery Channel want to promote such bad behavior? Especially in the midst of this war going on to protect the very sport they are doing show on? I can’t see why people at Discovery would want to show people destroying land and not acting responsible. Especially on a channel dedicated to the earth and land.

Could it just be as simple as they are trying to get ratings by showing "cool offroading stuff?"

Or could it be that they want to give ammo to the environmentalists who are trying to outlaw offroading?

They can just point to the show and say "Look, that’s what offroaders do to our land" and there's little that can be done. Plus the fact that now new people joining the sport will act like them, giving even more fuel to the opposing side.

Could this be a plan on the part of Discovery to shut down offroading? Their agenda all along? If they listen to the bad stereotypes like the ones that they promoted on their show, they don't know the good side of offroading, and what it does for the land, and could very well want it to die out.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
do you think theres a secret agenda to every tv show? sometimes tv is just for entertainment as well as informative. I would have thought the activest would be all over the alligator hunting shows but apparently they dont care about some animals

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The Discovery Channel, right along with The History Channel and Learning Channel SUCKS! They are 90% reality TV anymore, I call Discovery Channel The Pawn Stars Channel since they show that dumb ass show every single day for hours on end.

I think the only agenda of the Dis overly Network is to brainwash people into thinking that Pawn Stars, Cake Boss, Say Yes To The Dress and the rest of their pathetic programing is actually educational. I remember when Discovery first came out as well as THC and TLC, they actually had educational programing and THC actually had programing about history.

The discovery network has jumped on the reality TV bandwagon along with the rest of the networks and have sadly ruined a great network.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
do you think theres a secret agenda to every tv show? sometimes tv is just for entertainment as well as informative. I would have thought the activest would be all over the alligator hunting shows but apparently they dont care about some animals

The only agenda of a network is to make money.

TV shaping popular opinion is just a side-effect.

People are largely ignorant and stupid so when somebody who doesnt know anything about off-roading, for example, watches some TV show about a bunch of rednecks doing everything you're not supposed to do while off-roading that ignorant and stupid viewer forms an opinion based on anything but reality.

So when that viewer is asked about off-roading all they can manage to cobble together is "it's destructive and should be banned."

A few seasons of some stupid TV show filling the vacuous space between the ears of the lowest common denominator is more than enough to cause sweeping legislative and social changes.

Throw in the news media doing a unsubstantiated hit piece and you've got yourself a perfect storm of the tyranny of stupidity.

We live with real-life unicorns created by this method and have in the past and will in the future subject ourselves to regulation and legislation based purely on fiction.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yes your case is proven nicely here with these 4 wheeling idiots blowing doughnuts on the road I live on right after it is smoothed out by the road crew. Yes sure there are some that act well but not as many as there should be. And those bad apples are the trouble.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Yeah its true. All of these networks are jumping to the reality TV bandwagon. Think about it. No overhead. No writers to pay. Little production to pay. Skeleton crew instead of a bloated crew of superfluous people doing nothing.

It's sad but its true. The only reason for these networks going to the reality TV bandwagon is because the profit margins are huge and the economy sucks. If they didn't then all of those stations/networks would go down the tube in a matter of weeks.

Personally I feel there is very littler eality programing out there that is actually good.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

No, I don't think there is a hidden agenda in every show. I hardly think there is a hidden agenda in this show. I'm just looking at an "out there" theory, hence posting in Skunk Works.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think that there should be land set aside for off road activities.

I also think that there should be land set aside for wildlife. I don't think that these two things go together very well.

Just my opinion.

top topics

join