It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested at Best Buy for paying in $2 bills

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Truly sad, as this entire incident illustrates the IGNORANCE of that young Best Buy cashier, and -more importantly- the members of the police who arrived on scene.

REALLY? -----Not one of all of those people knew what a $2 bill was? NOT A SINGLE ONE?

Further, okay, say the guy had been trying to pass counterfeit currency. Is that like a dangerous threat? At worst, he's spending fake money. To handcuff him to a pole? Really? I still find it hard to believe that NO ONE could have said, "Yeah, those are $2 bills. They used to be popular but now they're rare. In fact, I'll buy them off of you." Because of being rare, I believe that they are worth more than $2 each.

This is a direct reflection of the FAILURE of our education system as well as a meter on how paranoid, stupid and FEARFUL everyone is. And that is especially dangerous considering that the POLICE had no clue and overreacted. People, the "good old days" of American common sense is gone. This seems to be a form of Nazi Germany now.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TEACH TO A TEST INSTEAD OF ACTUALLY ***TEACHING.***
edit on 22-8-2012 by GhostLancer because: Typho.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

link   
This is one of those cases where I say...it's not his fault your stupid. Cant tell if a federal reserve note is real or not. I mean come on why are you behind the register if you can't tell if a bill is counterfeit or not?

link   
reply to post by packoftwenty

lol, common day huh?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I dont know what is more pathetic, a cashier that doesnt know about the $2.00 bill, or the idiot cop that didnt know about the $2.00 bill.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Don't know which is worse ..
the Best Buy cashiers who don't know that $2 bills are legal tender
or the Best Buy cashier who hands me back a Suzie B & says they don't take Canadian money.

Doomed I tell ya.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

Go in Jack in the Box and order one order of tacos, and watch the confusion begin........ you know what I mean.

Jack in the Box.... BLEECH ! worse food ever

Went to one when travelling on west coast

Fortunate live on east coast where there are none.......

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
IMHO, this is not really a story about $2 bills and the ability of BB staff to judge whether or not they are legitimate tender for private debt. My take is somewhat different:

Welcome to the new America, where if you demand customer service you will be custom "serviced" publicly with the aid of the "authorities." You do not have the right to protest the goods and services you are distributed or any hidden charges you are required to pay. Trouble makers will accept the added inconvenience of having an example made of them. My take on this is that someone higher up the Best Buy food chain more than likely made this decision. BB has just made my growing list of boycotted merchants, BTW.

This is definitely a story worth following-up on. It will be easy to tell from what level of BB management the man was being tormented by what happens in court. If corporate doesn't make nice then the message is that customer service is now open to service you if you present yourself as anything other than a delighted customer.

I think we will find that the moral of this story is, "Don't mess with the Big Box." Wonder how long it will be until the TSA arrives to screen customers before they get to customer service. I think this just might prove that domestic terrorists also like to disrupt commerce, as this man's intention was interpreted by BB.

Note: Add to the list, "How To Spot a Domestic Terrorist," anyone carrying coins or bills not commonly used in everyday commercial transactions, e.g. anything other than electronic currency. Also, anyone looking even slightly dissatisfied should be given a private screening before being allowed to interact with store personnel. After all, aren't we all happier paying a small fee than being chained to a pole?

(Just a few suggestions, BB -- We know you're watching).

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Cant tell if a federal reserve note is real or not. I mean come on why are you behind the register if you can't tell if a bill is counterfeit or not?

We have a $50 pinned to our bull board that's counterfit. Stop by and show us your skills. They bleached the ink and reprinted on genuine stock. The only give away is the imbedded strip.
Cashiers cannot microscope every bill they see.

Put yourself in the cashiers spot at BB.
A customer walks up to the counter to pay for a $500 tv. That's 10 $50s plus a few others. Have you ever seen them pull out a microscope??

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Not only was the cashier a moron, but the police as well.

They called the secret service!
How can this take place? The man was upset because he was told one thing and then another concerning the installation of car stereo. He gets a bill which upset him because it was obviously the opposite of their original agreement.

In protest, and to be a PITA he decides to pay with $2 bills. He knows very well that it will get the cashier angry because she actually has to count. I applaud him for doing this. He did absolutely nothing wrong, but forced the employee to count. As well she should, seeing as her job is to receive money for services rendered.

What kind of police force doesn't know what a $2 bill is? How is it possible that the secret service had to be called?

This is what happens when you watch too much MTV, Reality TV and TMZ. You turn into an absolute moron. Perhaps if people spent more time reading or learning something important, rather than Facebooking or MyFacing, they would not turn into raging morons.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
must have been the worst buy of his life.
best not go there in future.

pennies would have been better in my opinion. make them sweat for their money.
What we forget is that it has to be counted at least twice in the store.
Once when it taken and put in the till
and again at the end o0f the day when all the takings are counted up ready for banking.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Stop by and show us your skills

I do not have any skills that include identifying counterfeit bills. Never worked a cash register in my life and never will for that matter. The cash register clerks at major stores are trained to find them, not my fault they suck at their job.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well, I have no doubt this happened because these kids who work at these stores are stupid. I hope he sues the hell out of Best Buy and they pay him at least $100,000 dollars in $2 bills. What a bunch of retards. Even the manager much have been so stupid he/she didn't know $2 bills are legal tender.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

It seems some would be counterfeiters made some bills with the wrong digits on the currency and instead of $20.00 bills ended up with a stack of $18.00 bills. Perplexed at what to do, one of the counterfeiters suggested they take the bills to a Best Buy in Baltimore as they were unaware of currency digits. With hopes of unloading all the bad currency the man walked up to the Best Buy cashier and asked " Do you have change for an $18.00 bill?"

The clerk replied" Sure, what do you want? Two nines or three sixes?"

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
For those wondering, BB doesn't work on commission. They make slightly more than other stores but are reviewed weekly for hours. If you don't sell x amount of service plans by the end of the week, then you start losing hours. Eventually you could lose almost all of your hours to the point where you have to quit if you don't feel like treating customers like crap so I've heard from a reliable source.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
can one of the members of this site in america PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a $2 note please pm me i cannot get one on ebay as nobody in scotland would believe in a $2 bill please

edit on 24/8/12 by geobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by coyotepoet

Wow, just, wow! I knew people were getting stupider and stupider what with the proliferation of "reality shows" but that takes the cake. I once asked a Taco Bell cashier if they accepted Hawaiian money and was told they only accept US dollars. Sad really.

Don't you mean more stupider?

It is amusing watching some of the cashiers, a lot of them are just smart enough to count out what change the register tells them to give back. Most couldn't calculate the correct change if they had to.

Try going to McDonald's or any other fast-food place, pay with cash and after they give you the change say something like "I gave you a Twenty and you only gave me one Ten back". I bet you would get another Ten more often than not.

That's very probably accurate! A LONG time back, when I was working at a book store, we had a cop come in (Christmas season) to explain how to watch out for shoplifters (the video was unreal...), and how to avoid being conned by a short change artist. Personally, when he did the little routine, my first thought was, "NO ONE is stupid enough to fall for that...!", then I saw that most there had no idea how he ended up with the extra ten bucks. Well, he ran through it again, and more than half finally caught on. Still, after multiple run-throughs, the store manager never could figure out how he did it. If I wasn't so honest, I would have a lot more money...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
*snip*
This employee was being cautious. The police are not there to make a determination either way. They were there to keep tabs on a potential criminal.
*snip*

Actually, they ARE supposed to determine if there was a crime. They don't just come out and arrest people without having any idea what is going on. If they did that, we would see people arrested all the time, for no crime at all, just because someone that didn't like them made a false complaint. The police MUST use common sense to determine what is actually happening.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Not sure if funny or sad.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join